• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Reverent?

Heyo

Veteran Member
One of the earliest forms of "religion", we know of, is reverence for the dead. We have found intentional burial of humans at least 200,000 maybe even more than 300,000 years back. More than that, a feeling of reverence seems to be even present in some animals, elephants and crows show, what can be interpreted as grief, mourning and even burial.
Reverence for the dead is a reminder of our own mortality, but it also carries a notion of an afterlife in it. Burial rituals are today almost always connected with religion, even though it is a big jump from a belief in an afterlife to the belief in a god or gods.
Thus, reverence is not exclusive to believers. So, this question goes mainly, but not exclusively, to the unbelievers here.

Do you feel reverence for the dead?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
One of the earliest forms of "religion", we know of, is reverence for the dead. We have found intentional burial of humans at least 200,000 maybe even more than 300,000 years back. More than that, a feeling of reverence seems to be even present in some animals, elephants and crows show, what can be interpreted as grief, mourning and even burial.
Reverence for the dead is a reminder of our own mortality, but it also carries a notion of an afterlife in it. Burial rituals are today almost always connected with religion, even though it is a big jump from a belief in an afterlife to the belief in a god or gods.
Thus, reverence is not exclusive to believers. So, this question goes mainly, but not exclusively, to the unbelievers here.

Yes, in a very limited sense.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I have reverence for the dead that contributed to the freedoms we all enjoy. I thank them that I don't live in North Korea. People of kindness I am glad for.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No more than the reverence I feel for the living or anything else that appears in the world.

I also am not a reverend. ;)

ETA: It first glance, I thought the title may have been a typo, but as it turns out, it's not. 'Reverend,' aside from its usual use as a noun meaning a member of the clergy, is also an adjective meaning "worthy of reverence."

Thanks, @Heyo, for teaching me something new.

Last edited:

rocala

In a way, but I do not really see at reverential. I have always had a love of history, so when I took up genealogy it made many things personal as well as interesting. I seem to get very fond of certain ancestors for reasons that I do not truly understand.

My greatest respect is for the women. They often had incredibly tough lives, large numbers of children and an early grave. I feel great warmth towards them and it feels right to honour their memory.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bodies are merely to be disposed
of as cheaply as possible.
Mine will be no cost to my heirs.
It will be medical waste handled
by University of Michigan.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
No more than the reverence I feel for the living or anything else that appears in the world.

I also am not a reverend. ;)

ETA: It first glance, I thought the title may have been a typo, but as it turns out, it's not. 'Reverend,' aside from its usual use as a noun meaning a member of the clergy, is also an adjective meaning "worthy of reverence."

Thanks, @Heyo, for teaching me something new.
But acctually, I think @Heyo meant to say "reverent." That has more of the meaning of "showing deep respect or reverence" than "reverend," which is usually an adjective (sometimes noun) describing a person of the clergy.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
But acctually, I think @Heyo meant to say "reverent." That has more of the meaning of "showing deep respect or reverence" than "reverend," which is usually an adjective (sometimes noun) describing a person of the clergy.
Possibly. @Heyo would need to clarify.

I just happened to stumble across this definition after I posted:

worthy of reverence : REVERED
But I guess 'reverent' would make more sense given the context.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Ancestor worship is part of my religion, yes. There is a specific holy day and tide of the seasons for it. But it goes well beyond that to be far less anthropocentric than what the opening post covers. "Ancestors" doesn't just mean human ancestors - it means the roots and ground of all being. And the gods like Death, Destruction, Decay are given their proper honors as well.

I'd hazard to say ancestors worship is darned near a human universal, though. If you've ever told stories about a dead human? That's paying respects to human ancestors by telling their stories.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Oops - corrected.

Thank you.

(You see that reverence and reverent isn't in my day-to-day vocabulary.)

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I comprehend respecting them and sometimes abiding by the wishes of the person made before they die. Perhaps they ask to be buried in a certain way, and perhaps I follow that wish.

I also feel superstitious about the dead, as if they might be watching me. My mother...a dead pet, etc. This does not connect with the above feelings of respect, because I question it. Its not certain, and it doesn't seem like I should encourage this feeling.

If I did not question it, and if I felt confidently that the dead were observing me then I might become reverent like some people are. Some cultures do reverence their dead, and in some cultures children are taught that the dead do see them and guide them. If it were me I'd find that very convincing. Its simple, easy to believe, easy to accept.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, I guess I do!

Tomef

Not really tbh. I might hold the memory of that person in reverence, but the person is just dead.