• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you sad that I am going to hell, or have you pretty much come to terms with it?

dust1n

Zindīq
Does it bother anyone? If you know someone you think is going to hell, does it eat away at you, or do you learn to just learn not everyone is going to realize the 'truth' or whatnot? Are you supposed to feel bad for those people, or happy they are getting justice or something?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I don't know who is and who isn't going to Hell, nor would I ever speculate on it. But we're supposed to pray for everyone, ESPECIALLY those who aren't on the way of theosis, and pray that God may have mercy on them and reveal Himself to them.

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't know who is and who isn't going to Hell, nor would I ever speculate on it. But we're supposed to pray for everyone, ESPECIALLY those who aren't on the way of theosis, and pray that God may have mercy on them and reveal Himself to them.

Well, you can rest somewhat assured that if there is a hell I'll be going to it. I'm basically openly blasphemous against every religion. I mean, people who openly don't believe in something would go to hell. There isn't much speculation in that really...

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Does it bother anyone? If you know someone you think is going to hell, does it eat away at you, or do you learn to just learn not everyone is going to realize the 'truth' or whatnot? Are you supposed to feel bad for those people, or happy they are getting justice or something?

This sounds like another OP that doesn't make sense unless it's directed at very conservative Christians and Muslims and not a general audience.

dust1n

Zindīq
This sounds like another OP that doesn't make sense unless it's directed at very conservative Christians and Muslims and not a general audience.

If you don't believe in hell, then ya, obviously the thread isn't directed at you, by virtue of the title of the thread.

WyattDerp

Does it bother anyone?

You'll laugh, but there was a time when I was *this* close to becoming a Christian, all by myself. It was a.) the vast majority of "unsaved" people and b.) the thoughtlessness of fellow believers that made me jump ship. My relief and joy of "salvation" lasted for about an hour, when I saw a couple of bikers buy like 20 packs of cigarettes, and thinking "but what about them?". So yeah, it does, to the point I wouldn't be able to suck up to a God who does that, even while believing in the God. I can't see myself in a Heaven with others being in a Hell. That's just nuts, that's just selfish and spineless. I ended up slamming doors and pouting for a while.

I still kinda believe there is something that is very good and bigger than us, and I shouldn't really blame it for the ****** ideas of men. Wether the hereafter exists or not, it surely is used *as well* as a bluff to grab power on Earth. And I don't believe in a God that believes in nations and arbitrary hierarchies and constantly pats himself on the back, that's just needy. My God needs to be at least as intelligent and loving as I am, screw the imposters. And I'd rather come to the trial than be blackmailed into a plea bargain. It's a horrible thing to give up agency and ideals for a mere bluff. I'm not old and sickly enough to do that just yet.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
We are all in our own hell(s), as we speak. There is no Christian, no Muslim, and no Jew who can rightly say that you have not been seen by God, even before you came into a physical existence here on earth. Christians believe in grace. Muslims believe in mercy. Jews believe these things. There is room for you where you are now, and in more heavenly places. Don't entertain the egos that say they are greater than you because of their own will. Again, all of these faiths believe in grace, mercy, and the God who does His own will. No one in these faiths can say that you exist by your own will, can they? According to their faiths, they must accept your existence as the will of God. And as proof, Moses was told that his/our God's name is, I AM - I Will Be What I Will Be. You are, and will be what God has already seen.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Well, you can rest somewhat assured that if there is a hell I'll be going to it. I'm basically openly blasphemous against every religion. I mean, people who openly don't believe in something would go to hell. There isn't much speculation in that really...

Do you honestly believe that I am sitting around knowing who is or who isn't going to hell? For one thing, I don't even believe in a literal hell- it is the grave. For another thing, no one would know who is or who isn't going to hell, anyway.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Are you sad that I am going to hell, or have you pretty much come to terms with it?

LOL. I've come to terms with it. Oooh! And I'll see you there! *waves*

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I find the idea of others asserting that I am going to hell to be rather bleak;
I find the idea of others asserting that such a judgement would be 'just' to be rather sad;
I find the idea of others asserting that those whom act (by any mundane evaluation) far worse than me are to not be going to hell by simply virtue of their belief, to be rather offensive.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
If you don't believe in hell, then ya, obviously the thread isn't directed at you, by virtue of the title of the thread.

Of all the replies so far, notice that none came from the perspective that you are going to hell. You may find someone here eventually but don't wait up.

I suspect the hidden agenda behind the OP was for an atheist to make Christians sound stupid and narrow. The more intelligent ones that you usually find on RF don't think that way.

Last edited:

WyattDerp

Of all the replies so far, notice that none came from the perspective that you are going to hell.

Mine kinda did.

I suspect the hidden agenda behind the OP was for an atheist to make Christians sound stupid and narrow. The more intelligent ones that you usually find on RF don't think that way.

Going with what the text actually says as a starting point doesn't require a "hidden agenda" at all, and stuff like "well I wouldn't know who goes to hell anyway" (so Jesus warning about not many making it to anywhere BUT hell surely can be ignored) does strike me as intellectually dishonest and kinda cowardly. You can't ascribe such result to some kind of evil hidden agenda, they show up on their own. They prompt questions such as this thread. I know because I struggled with such questions for a long, long time, and 99.9% of the time I don't bother to bother anyone else with it. But as soon as you do, it's suddenly your fault that you're pointing out a flaw? That's so lame.

dust1n

Zindīq
You'll laugh, but there was a time when I was *this* close to becoming a Christian, all by myself. It was a.) the vast majority of "unsaved" people and b.) the thoughtlessness of fellow believers that made me jump ship. My relief and joy of "salvation" lasted for about an hour, when I saw a couple of bikers buy like 20 packs of cigarettes, and thinking "but what about them?". So yeah, it does, to the point I wouldn't be able to suck up to a God who does that, even while believing in the God. I can't see myself in a Heaven with others being in a Hell. That's just nuts, that's just selfish and spineless. I ended up slamming doors and pouting for a while.

I still kinda believe there is something that is very good and bigger than us, and I shouldn't really blame it for the ****** ideas of men. Wether the hereafter exists or not, it surely is used *as well* as a bluff to grab power on Earth. And I don't believe in a God that believes in nations and arbitrary hierarchies and constantly pats himself on the back, that's just needy. My God needs to be at least as intelligent and loving as I am, screw the imposters. And I'd rather come to the trial than be blackmailed into a plea bargain. It's a horrible thing to give up agency and ideals for a mere bluff. I'm not old and sickly enough to do that just yet.

I feel ya. I have trouble reconciling most anything in this world, let alone all the contradictions that are inherent in various concepts of God.

It's cool with me, see you there!

:( I think everyone is barred from one another, I'm not sure.

We are all in our own hell(s), as we speak. There is no Christian, no Muslim, and no Jew who can rightly say that you have not been seen by God, even before you came into a physical existence here on earth. Christians believe in grace. Muslims believe in mercy. Jews believe these things. There is room for you where you are now, and in more heavenly places. Don't entertain the egos that say they are greater than you because of their own will. Again, all of these faiths believe in grace, mercy, and the God who does His own will. No one in these faiths can say that you exist by your own will, can they? According to their faiths, they must accept your existence as the will of God. And as proof, Moses was told that his/our God's name is, I AM - I Will Be What I Will Be. You are, and will be what God has already seen.

That's actually pretty inspiring! I frubal thee.

Do you honestly believe that I am sitting around knowing who is or who isn't going to hell? For one thing, I don't even believe in a literal hell- it is the grave. For another thing, no one would know who is or who isn't going to hell, anyway.

I really don't believe anything about what people do on the other side of these conversations let alone what they think! I agree that no one knows who is or isn't going to hell, but I know certainly that I am if hell exists.

Of all the replies so far, notice that none came from the perspective that you are going to hell. You may find someone here eventually but don't wait up.

Oh, shoot. You caught me in nefarious plan to harass people I don't agree with. Add another tally to my huge track record of tricking Christians into looking foolish! Sherlock, would you like to do the honors of pulling the rubber mask off my face? :sarcastic

LOL. I've come to terms with it. Oooh! And I'll see you there! *waves*

*waves* of... fire, I guess. But seriously though, and I guess I didn't vocalize the best, I'm curious to what ones reactions is suppose to be on a 'lost soul' of sorts. Is it remorse, or indignation, or righteousness. To what extent is power to be exerted to convert people? Ultimately, how does religion want us to react to people to those who are in the worst situations as described by their religion..

But you gotta admit, the thread title is a real hook and sinker. =D

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
If there is such a thing as hell, and not being a Christian or Muslim gets you sent there, then I am very glad you're going there, because I'm going there too. :D We can have premarital sex, get gay married, abort our children, drink, dance, sing bawdy songs, vote liberal and wear mixed fabrics together. Besides, I like a warm climate, me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Me Myself

Back to my username

Deciding not to send someone to e most excrutiating pain beyond any mortal imagination for an unlimited amount of time is not being "merciful" , it goes more on the lines of "not being the most complete #{%]! Anone could possibly be "

I dont think avoiding that should be that hard for an alleged moral superior o_O