• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arizona bill proposes the legislature decide who wins electoral college votes, not voters.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

"SCR 1014 is rather straightforward and simple, less than a page in length, proposing that "the Legislature, and no other official, shall appoint presidential electors in accordance with the United States Constitution."

Yep, if you are a voter in Arizona this bill would mean your vote does not matter, your betters in the legislature will be making that decision for you. Hope you enjoyed democracy while you had it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

"SCR 1014 is rather straightforward and simple, less than a page in length, proposing that "the Legislature, and no other official, shall appoint presidential electors in accordance with the United States Constitution."

Yep, if you are a voter in Arizona this bill would mean your vote does not matter, your betters in the legislature will be making that decision for you. Hope you enjoyed democracy while you had it.
That's one way to put Trump in office
if the voters won't cooperate.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Perhaps one day, Americans will realize that this is the direction in which the Republican Party is clearly moving, the weakening and perhaps even demise of real democracy. Undoubtedly this is because Republicans know (and have admitted!) that they presently couldn't win anything like as many seats in state or federal legislatures, or presidential electors, without a significant amount of change to how votes are counted, or even whether they will be allowed (to some groups, not others, or even to nobody). This could also be called "cheating," but that may be too clear for many people's tastes.

They suppose, I think, that this manipulation (cheating) is easier than trying to find policy positions that satisfy their constituents. And since that is actually what democracy is about, Republicans are working towards the end of the American democracy -- as problematic as it already is. In my personal opinion, this is wicked, but entirely real.

And if a significant plurality of Americans (especially Republicans) don't come to realize this -- well then, thos Republicans will win, American democracy will be effectively at an end, and there will never be another party in power again.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Don't be concerned.

foo.jpg

Clizby Wampuscat

Section 2, Article 1, Clause 2 of the US Constitution says they have this power.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Actually there's no set way established for choosing electors.

However it's the political party's that pick the electors for each state. It's the first I heard of this bill but I really don't think it's going to pass and really there's no point in whining and crying over it if it isn't law, so I think all the hubbub is really a nothing burger at this point. Mostly because it doesn't change the fact that the electors are supposed to vote on the will of the people and not be faithless.

If there is a bill to change penalties or eliminate the requirements for faithful electors then that would be something to be concerned about as far as I can tell.

Besides what works for the Republicans will also work for the Democrats in respect to legislators chosing the electorate. I mean the ones who choose the electors for the state will be up to the party regardless if they are legislators or not.

Twilight Hue

Section 2, Article 1, Clause 2 of the US Constitution says they have this power.
Precisely this whole thread is a nothing burger really including the proposed bill to which we all know, is just something put foreword to rile up people over and bring attention the whatever it is they want to bring attention to, but I'll leave the others to decide what that is.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Well, it isn't as though Trump will win the popular vote...

Twilight Hue

It looks like it's just a retrograde going back to a more traditional voting process where legislators prior to the early 1900s did indeed do the voting.

This bill seems to just want to bring that tradition back as it was originally.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It looks like it's just a retrograde going back to a more traditional voting process where legislators prior to the early 1900s did indeed do the voting.

This bill seems to just want to bring that tradition back as it was originally.
If only those pesky women and black folk could be stopped from voting.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Arizona's legislative body is full of loons. But I don't think this will pass.

Twilight Hue

Which is an unfortunate turn.
I dunno.

It would be interesting to research as to why it was amended in the first place in the early 1900s compared to the reason why the present amendment needs to be rescinded back to the original way it was done via the legislators.