• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Article: USA changes passports from father/mother to parent 1 and parent 2

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's just Fox (a.k.a. Faux) News - They like to think they're the Voice of the People, but all they give voice to is the Myth of the People.

I think the change is awesome.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
'Mother,' 'Father' Changing to 'Parent One,' 'Parent Two' on Passport Applications - FoxNews.com

Gosh, I really really am beginning to dislike Americans...

I do like this change, but sooo many of the comments are so adamant that a child must only have a male and female as parents, that it makes me sick to the stomach.

As if the end of the American country will become degraded and downfallen because of giving rights to sexual minorities.

First off its Fox News, but I can see the fights now. I should be parent 1.

If that's all it takes then I guess it's as good a reason as any.

I'm visiting some family in the United States as of now (I'm originally Canadian), and I never knew how highly political Americans are. It wasn't too bad, until my friend starts railing on the 'degradation of society' and how 'God is not going to bless us...'

Maybe I'm just way too liberal for my own good...

dust1n

Zindīq
I read the Fox article & wonder why they're being criticized?

Yeah, I didn't really got that either. The article is well written: neutral and includes multiple perspectives.

Robert Jeffress, pastor of the First Baptist Church in Dallas, agreed. “It’s part of an overall attempt at political correctness to diminish the distinction between men and women and to somehow suggest you don’t need both a father and a mother to raise a child successfully,” said Jeffress. “(This decision) was made to make homosexual couples feel more comfortable in rearing children.”

I'm pretty sure homosexual couples don't need to feel more comfortable rearing children, just getting their passports for their children.

dust1n

Zindīq
I'm visiting some family in the United States as of now (I'm originally Canadian), and I never knew how highly political Americans are. It wasn't too bad, until my friend starts railing on the 'degradation of society' and how 'God is not going to bless us...'

Americans are far from political. Very close to constantly spouting off faulty opinions on subjects they remain mostly ignorant of their entire lives, maybe. But political? Hardly. We just passively comment on news stories.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Keep in mind that not all Americans are homophobic, cross lickin' hillbillies.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Maybe you need to find some better friends. I haven't heard anything negative from my circle of very American friends.

I don't have a problem with the change at all. And not only am I an American, I am a SOUTHERNER, living in TEXAS, and a CHRISTIAN as well! :thud:

MSI64

Parent 1 and parent 2??? I think its a little ridiculous that you cant just put Mother and Mother or Father and Father?
Are multiple kids passports going to run
Kid 1, Kid 2 Kid 3 and so on???
Is this going to apply to every passport now?? Cant wait to tell the wife she is Number 2 lol.
I really do not see why people get outraged about same sex couples why can we just not treat people as people rather than focussing on sexuality???

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Parent 1 and parent 2??? I think its a little ridiculous that you cant just put Mother and Mother or Father and Father?
Are multiple kids passports going to run
Kid 1, Kid 2 Kid 3 and so on???
Is this going to apply to every passport now?? Cant wait to tell the wife she is Number 2 lol.
I really do not see why people get outraged about same sex couples why can we just not treat people as people rather than focussing on sexuality???

The issue is the form itself. The form has to label the fields in some sort of manner - it has to at least try to determine the parentage of the person applying for the passport. Personally, I can't think of a better label for these fields than "parent 1" and "parent 2." Do you have any better suggestions if you want to keep it gender-free?

The "multiple kids" question is a non issue. Each child has their own individual passport.

And by the way, your wife may think that YOU are Parent 2!

Rakhel

I don't have a problem with this issue. Neither do I see why there is an issue.
Parent 1 and Parent 2. Okay. So what?