• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artists you never thought you'd like

Yerda

Veteran Member
I can't believe how good some of the stuff I'd written off is. I went through a phase in my late teens where I rejected almost everything that wasn't really bad punk and was stuck listening to the same crap til my early 20s cause there was nothing left I hadn't deemed commercial trash. These days I'll listen to almost anything (once, sometimes more if it's challenging).

The biggest shock for me was recently discovering that ZZ Top are great. A friend (with exceptional musical taste) kept telling me they were decent but I couldn't conceive such a thing. Beards and spandex and commercial cheesey crap I thought. Then I heard the albums Tejas and Tres Hombres and saw some old live footage. I'm converted.

Anyone experienced anything like that?

[Btw, give ZZ Top a go if you haven't already. I know they seem like dull dad rock, but the quality riffage and general standard of musicianship is undeniable. The early 70s stuff is the business (some of the later material still sounds horrid to me). There's loads more bands/artists but we can get round to that if anyone wants to.]

Also, I'm a tramp. Will take recommendations from anyone.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never thought I'd like Frank Sinatra.
But after seeing him in The Manchurian Candidate, I thought he was interesting.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I hated Lady Gaga at first, until I heard Paparazzi and saw that she was deeper than just doing dance pop.

I listened to Limp Bizkit when they were big (i.e. middle school, lol) but I thought I had outgrown them and made fun of them for putting out a new record with Wes Borland back in the band. Then I listened to it and discovered that I actually liked it. Lmao.

I hated Jeffree Star for a while, until I realized I like his music. Oops.

I never thought I'd like doom metal until listening to bands like Blood Ceremony.

That's all I can think of for now.

IdiNaPut

Ako možete čitati ovo, govorite hrvatski.
I wrote off a lot of older 50s and 60s music until I began getting heavily into jazz and also older rock. Then I hated to admit it but I did like it.

Yerda

Veteran Member
In the past year I've discovered I like Wu-Tang, Van Morrison, Cheap Trick and Wes Montgomery. I was never interested in jazz in the least.

I can't believe how good some of the stuff I'd written off is. I went through a phase in my late teens where I rejected almost everything that wasn't really bad punk and was stuck listening to the same crap til my early 20s cause there was nothing left I hadn't deemed commercial trash. These days I'll listen to almost anything (once, sometimes more if it's challenging).

The biggest shock for me was recently discovering that ZZ Top are great. A friend (with exceptional musical taste) kept telling me they were decent but I couldn't conceive such a thing. Beards and spandex and commercial cheesey crap I thought. Then I heard the albums Tejas and Tres Hombres and saw some old live footage. I'm converted.

Anyone experienced anything like that?

[Btw, give ZZ Top a go if you haven't already. I know they seem like dull dad rock, but the quality riffage and general standard of musicianship is undeniable. The early 70s stuff is the business (some of the later material still sounds horrid to me). There's loads more bands/artists but we can get round to that if anyone wants to.]

Also, I'm a tramp. Will take recommendations from anyone.
They are from my home State of Texas.ZZ Top is awesome!
Try Stevie Ray Vaughan and The Texas Tornadoes.All from Texas.

Once you hear Stevie play that guitar you will never be the same again.Very unique voice too.

Texas Flood (Legacy Edition) - YouTube This link is his full album.It is a masterpiece.

In the past year I've discovered I like Wu-Tang, Van Morrison, Cheap Trick and Wes Montgomery. I was never interested in jazz in the least.

This is some good jazz here.I used to hear this as a kid in the 70's.

This one here just puts you in a great mood and you want to be a good person.Drink some wine,call some friends,barbecue.You will love it.It is not the usual jazz.

Herp Albert is awesome!

Chuck Mangione is a great musician and he plays great jazz.

This one makes me feel like i am in the city looking at the cars go by and up at the high rise buildings.
I am sure you have heard it in old movies before.It is music to my ears.

I never thought I would like Lou Reed growing up.As I began to listen to his lyrics and music I came to find out he was a genius.His writing skills are expert level.One of his lyrics always stood out.It makes me choke up everytime.My nose is stinging just thinking about it.It touched my heart when I heard it.The way he says it too.It is from that jam "Perfect Day."

It is at the 1:40 mark.

"Perfect Day"

Just a perfect day
Drink sangria in the park
And then later, when it gets dark
We go home

Just a perfect day
Feed animals in the zoo
Then later a movie, too
And then home

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you
Oh, such a perfect day
You just keep me hanging on

Just a perfect day
Problems all left alone
Weekenders on our own
It's such fun

Just a perfect day
You made me forget myself
I thought I was someone else
Someone good

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you
Oh, such a perfect day

You're going to reap just what you sow

LOU REED LYRICS - Perfect Day

I think that's exactly why i like it: it's incredibly dramatic. the performance she did of it at the Alexander McQueen show is breathtaking (as is her iconic face bedazzlement)

She is very talented.She is also funny and wild.

Ps.Two moments stick out in my mind when I think of Bjork.

thanks! studied paleo for a few years up in Montana. Some advisers for JP were my teachers. Fun stuff!
That is really awesome.Lucky you.:thumbsup:

When I was a kid I saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in a theater.I wanted to be an archeologist because of it.Instead I became a music producer and a chef.I love archeology though.I love world history too.As a kid I would read up on Egypt and was always fascinated by it.