• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aryan Hinduism vs. Dravidian Hinduism

TTCUSM

Namaste Everyone,

Many of you probably know that there is a significant difference between the Hinduism that is practiced in North India and the Hinduism that is practiced in South India. This difference is most apparent in the way women are treated.

• North Indian society is very patriarchal. However, certain South Indian communities (like the Nairs of Kerala and the Bunts of Tulunadu) are matrilineal (ie, children trace their ancestry through the mother's side).
  • Sati was practiced by certain North Indian warrior communities. However, it was not as prevalent in South India. In fact, a group of South Indian Vaishnavite saints called the Alvars actually spoke out against it.
  • Kerala has a gender ratio of 1058 women per 1000 men, while Punjab's ratio is around 860.
This leads to a few interesting questions. Can North Indians learn a few things from their South Indian brothers? Would some Dravidian influence be good for their society?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't follow the correlation in your first point. A matrilineal society can be just as patriarchal as a patrilineal one.
I also don't quite understand what conclusion we're supposed to draw from your third point.
:sorry1:

Andal

resident hypnotist
I think there is a lot to be learned from Southern Indian culture not only in terms of gender but also caste relations. From what I've seen coming from the south, women are treated with more respect both socially and religiously. Of course my exposure is limited but I think no matter what the treatment of women must be improved. We look to the divine feminine and talk about the importance of Mother and yet women in many places are still treated as nothing more than a polluted burden. That must change.

Aum Hari Aum!

Wannabe Yogi

I don't follow the correlation in your first point. A matrilineal society can be just as patriarchal as a patrilineal one.
I also don't quite understand what conclusion we're supposed to draw from your third point.
:sorry1:

I have read about a hand full of Hindu cultures in south India and Nepal that are Polyandry in nature.

TTCUSM

I think there is a lot to be learned from Southern Indian culture not only in terms of gender but also caste relations.

I totally agree.
Most textbooks on Hinduism tend to be very North-India-centric. They usually cover the following topics:

• The arrival of the Aryans
  • Buddhism and Jainism (both of which originated in North India)
  • The Greek invasion
  • The Maurya empire
  • The Gupta empire
  • The Islamic period
There is almost no mention of South India's contributions.
Very few people are aware that the bhakti movement began in South India. It was started by a group of Tamil Vaishnavas called the Alvars and a group of Tamil Shaivas called the Nayanmars.
Very few people know that the largest empire in Hindu history was a South Indian dynasty called the Cholas.
And let's not forget about the great Keralite saint, Adi Shankaracharya.

Cypress

Dragon Mom
Which gods are worshiped in South India that are not known in the North?
I know of Murugan (who is equated with Skanda) and Mariamma.

kaisersose

Namaste Everyone,

Many of you probably know that there is a significant difference between the Hinduism that is practiced in North India and the Hinduism that is practiced in South India. This difference is most apparent in the way women are treated.

• North Indian society is very patriarchal. However, certain South Indian communities (like the Nairs of Kerala and the Bunts of Tulunadu) are matrilineal (ie, children trace their ancestry through the mother's side).
  • Sati was practiced by certain North Indian warrior communities. However, it was not as prevalent in South India. In fact, a group of South Indian Vaishnavite saints called the Alvars actually spoke out against it.
  • Kerala has a gender ratio of 1058 women per 1000 men, while Punjab's ratio is around 860.
This leads to a few interesting questions. Can North Indians learn a few things from their South Indian brothers? Would some Dravidian influence be good for their society?

I don't see what any of these 3 points have to do with religion.

1) Are you saying North Indians should switch the way they trace ancestry?
Goven that Matrilineal communities are very rare in South India, why would this a be a South vs. North difference?

2) Sati has been obsolete for over a century now. A very small section of scoiety had this practice. I don't see how this is a North v South difference.

3) No idea, what Punjab can learn from Kerala on this.

Again, none of these points have anything to do with religion.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
Again, none of these points have anything to do with religion.

I agree with this.....

On a side note, acharyas of advaita,vishist-advaita,dvaita,dvaitaadvaita,shudda-advaita are from south and achintya bhedaabedha is from bengal(east)...but many vedic rishis are from north(that was before islam came).:D

kaisersose

I agree with this.....

On a side note, acharyas of advaita,vishist-advaita,dvaita,dvaitaadvaita,shudda-advaita are from south and achintya bhedaabedha is from bengal(east)...but many vedic rishis are from north(that was before islam came).:D

One correction. Shuddha-Advaita is from the North.

Metempsychosis

Shankara, sorry. :p

Yes...Advaita normally means kevala-advaita ,unless stated otherwise.
Four acharyas from 4 states of south india..
Sankara--Kerala.
Ramanuja ---Tamil Nadu
Madhva--Karnataka
Nimbarka & Vallabha ---Andra Pradesh.

kaisersose

Yes...Advaita normally means kevala-advaita ,unless stated otherwise.
Four acharyas from 4 states of south india..
Sankara--Kerala.
Ramanuja ---Tamil Nadu
Madhva--Karnataka
Nimbarka & Vallabha ---Andra Pradesh.

Thanks. I always thought Vallabha's parents were in Varanasi.

All these founders were Brahmanas and South Indian Brahmanas generally, trace their origins to the North - generally to the Kashmir region or somewhere in the Himalayas.

Metempsychosis

Thanks. I always thought Vallabha's parents were in Varanasi.

All these founders were Brahmanas and South Indian Brahmanas generally, trace their origins to the North - generally to the Kashmir region or somewhere in the Himalayas.

Yes....But only some of them trace their origins to the aryan race.Most of these acharyas found their gurus in the north.