• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aryan Hinduism vs. Dravidian Hinduism

atanu

Premium Member
Namaste Everyone,

Many of you probably know that there is a significant difference between the Hinduism that is practiced in North India and the Hinduism that is practiced in South India. This difference is most apparent in the way women are treated.

• North Indian society is very patriarchal. However, certain South Indian communities (like the Nairs of Kerala and the Bunts of Tulunadu) are matrilineal (ie, children trace their ancestry through the mother's side).
  • Sati was practiced by certain North Indian warrior communities. However, it was not as prevalent in South India. In fact, a group of South Indian Vaishnavite saints called the Alvars actually spoke out against it.
  • Kerala has a gender ratio of 1058 women per 1000 men, while Punjab's ratio is around 860.
This leads to a few interesting questions. Can North Indians learn a few things from their South Indian brothers? Would some Dravidian influence be good for their society?

It seems that recent genetic studies have failed to establish any deep rooted differences among castes and between south and north.

I have travelled all over India and can say that east, west, south and north all have their pecuilarities. But South is my preferred place, except for the heat.

Yava Dari

The Sati system was prevalent and Satis revered at least in parts of the south for sure. In my part of Karnataka (Gokarna-Karwar region, just above Mangalore-Tuluadu), there are a lot of Mahasati(Masti) temples around.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
While there is no harm in trying for academic purposes, we are unlikely to succeed in categorizing Hinduism into neat compartments because everything in Hinduism overlaps into everything else. It has well been said that whatever is true of Hinduism, the opposite is also equally true! This is not surprising for the simple reason that Hinduism encompasses life in its entirety.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
There are several differences between North and South Hinduism. But its impossible to say which aspects of each are better or worse.

Sati had been practiced in the South as well. The reason why the South Indian Alwar saints spoke out against it so much was because Sati was prevalent....

From what I know from experience, in terms of culture, the South has been less influenced by western religion and ideas. The Moghul empire never fully extended its reach into the South, and the British came much later.

One difference I noticed was that South Indian women don't cover their head in a temple or elsewhere. Whereas in North India, its mandatory in some parts to cover their head. This sort of modesty most likely came from Islam's presence in India.

Another difference is in their classical music. Before the Moghul invasion, classical music was the same all over India. However afterwards, North Indian classical music (Hindustani) became influenced by Persian music and Middle Eastern sounds. Southern Classical music (Carnatic) remained relatively the same. Only recently have Carnatic musicians began incorporating Hindustani melodies (Ragams) and song structures (ie Thillana). Lyrics in Carnatic Music are generally more devotional oriented as a result of the Bhakti movement which originated in South India.