• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask A Jedi

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Ask me anything. I'll reply as soon as I can. I probably won't be here Saturday.

Mtfbwy

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I've considered taking Jedi into my practice, but am really not likely to do so. I already have Buddhism, and that's close enough.

The Sum of Awe

Do you think Jedi could be syncretized with other religions?

Yes, it is possible. There are singular religions that teach of the force also. For example; There are many different names for the force...

Holy Spirit < Christianity

Tao < Taoism

etc.

Rainbow Mage

So here's an interesting one- How does a Jedi take the movies and literature of the Star Wars universe? As scriptures, or just as things valuable for building their faith upon, but not necessarily scripture-like status?

The Sum of Awe

So here's an interesting one- How does a Jedi take the movies and literature of the Star Wars universe? As scriptures, or just as things valuable for building their faith upon, but not necessarily scripture-like status?

I don't really think the star wars movies have meaning to Jedi's. If they were to be part of our religion I'd say building our faith upon. I follow a person who teaches me Jedi basics on Twitter and he quotes from movies that helps us build faith in the force.

For example: "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." -- Yoda

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

etc.

Yoda is not real, but he is like a prophet to us. Not only him but Obi Wan, Luke, and many other characters, thus I would say the films are to build faith upon, not too much a scripture. We have a book that explains our faith already: Church of Jediism Training Centre

Very good question.

Rainbow Mage

Does Anakin serve any place in the Jedi religion as a figure to look up to for anything? Any kind of lessons?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I don't really think the star wars movies have meaning to Jedi's. If they were to be part of our religion I'd say building our faith upon. I follow a person who teaches me Jedi basics on Twitter and he quotes from movies that helps us build faith in the force.

For example: "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." -- Yoda

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

etc.

Yoda is not real, but he is like a prophet to us. Not only him but Obi Wan, Luke, and many other characters, thus I would say the films are to build faith upon, not too much a scripture. We have a book that explains our faith already: Church of Jediism Training Centre

Very good question.

Yoda must have never heard the phrase, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." I never would have learned to tie my shoes if I followed Yoda's advice. Doesn't seem particularly wise if you paraphrase it, "Never attempt anything unless you're absolutely sure you're going to succeed."

I always thought the Sith had a better philosophy than the Jedi. Better to embrace absolutes. Follow the peaks and valleys in life in accordance with harmony. Yep, if I lived in the Star Wars universe, I'd want to be a Sith.

Yes, it is possible. There are singular religions that teach of the force also. For example; There are many different names for the force...

Holy Spirit < Christianity

Tao < Taoism

etc.

I think, Force, is one of the best terms I have ever heard of for the concept of the tao, holy spirit, god, creature or creator...

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I have been called a Shadow Jedi, and a Dark Jedi (been a few years since I was active with the Jedi thing). I think it is a fun and entertaining way to embrace basically Zen/Taoist teachings.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'd want to be a Gray Jedi. Sith and Jedi are both extremes.

I like the thought of being a former Gray Jedi, much like my image of Kyle Katarn. I don't really agree with your view of extremes, but I see great opportunities in learning to rise from the rotten depths of the so-called Dark Side. Knowledge is true power, and one who knows his own baser instincts without being afraid of them is the most afortunate of all people. Moral fortitude is a far greater gift than moral purity itself.

The Sum of Awe

Does Anakin serve any place in the Jedi religion as a figure to look up to for anything? Any kind of lessons?

There are some Jedi's that believe in a dark side of the force and I'm sure it is possible but I don't think anyone is on the dark side of it, but it is possible. They probably use Anakin in their name if they do exist.

A dark side of the force would want power and use the force for greed. In Jedi Anakin does not particularly get involved in our teachings but some use him as an example of what is bad.

The Sum of Awe

Yoda must have never heard the phrase, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." I never would have learned to tie my shoes if I followed Yoda's advice. Doesn't seem particularly wise if you paraphrase it, "Never attempt anything unless you're absolutely sure you're going to succeed."

I always thought the Sith had a better philosophy than the Jedi. Better to embrace absolutes. Follow the peaks and valleys in life in accordance with harmony. Yep, if I lived in the Star Wars universe, I'd want to be a Sith.

Well there are some things that come with nature and some things that do not. Some things that are naturally learnt do not need to be in a religion. Jesus did not teach us how to walk, how to breath, or how to know when danger is coming.

Sith's, in my opinion, are only people that have a lot of fear and lack of self-confidence so they need a lot of power. It would mainly be for greed and selfishness, that is all what the Sith taught on star wars, anger and selfishness. I do like the Sith philosophy in the same way I like Anton LaVey's philosophy.