• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask A Jedi

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Gray Jedi come into some of the games and books, and many have said Qui-Gon was a gray Jedi for being at odds with some Jedi doctrine.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Is there any particular reason why we should take this Jedi nonsense seriously?

Like I said, the best evidence is what my master told me: "Practice. Do. Understand."

In my opinion, I have no idea why people think the Jedi is nonsense and just for fun.

People often think we actually believe in the Star Wars films but some of us do not even like Star Wars.

But yes beyond what my master from Twitter told me, I'd say the next best evidence is the fact that the force has been taught through many different religions, the tao, holy spirit, Zen Buddhism, karma, etc.

The Sum of Awe

It's rare to find churches of Jedi near Iowa.

If you have a problem with it then you will have to keep it to yourself, this is no debating in the rules.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Yoda must have never heard the phrase, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." I never would have learned to tie my shoes if I followed Yoda's advice. Doesn't seem particularly wise if you paraphrase it, "Never attempt anything unless you're absolutely sure you're going to succeed."

I always thought the Sith had a better philosophy than the Jedi. Better to embrace absolutes. Follow the peaks and valleys in life in accordance with harmony. Yep, if I lived in the Star Wars universe, I'd want to be a Sith.

Not to distract from the thread, but I believe the quote from Yoda is meant to imply that you should never trap yourself in the "well, I'm trying mindset."

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Gray Jedi come into some of the games and books, and many have said Qui-Gon was a gray Jedi for being at odds with some Jedi doctrine.

That is certainly an attempt at addressing an undue extreme. But isn't that extreme in the conception of a Jedi as an unrealistic, and in fact disfunctional entity? Isn't it a failure of the concept, not of any character (fictional or otherwise)?

This matter reminds me of the Jungian concept of "shadow", which I feel is more than a bit misguided and naively conceived. It is one of several psychonalytical concepts (Jungian and otherwise) that have so little definition and so little connection with reality that their proponents end up assuming that they will abuse them in actual therapy. Which is in fact a very realistic and wise assumption. The true value of Psychoanalysis (not necessarily Freudian) is in the dynamics of the therapy and its own countermeasures for its own abusive interpretations, not those of the patient.

Jacksnyte

Reverend
There are some Jedi's that believe in a dark side of the force and I'm sure it is possible but I don't think anyone is on the dark side of it, but it is possible. They probably use Anakin in their name if they do exist.

A dark side of the force would want power and use the force for greed. In Jedi Anakin does not particularly get involved in our teachings but some use him as an example of what is bad.

There are Sith. Do a search for Sith religion, and you will find them. They are not exactly as you describe. I personally think that they are closet Satanists. I was a member of one of their forums about 5 years back.

The Sum of Awe

There are Sith. Do a search for Sith religion, and you will find them. They are not exactly as you describe. I personally think that they are closet Satanists. I was a member of one of their forums about 5 years back.

This is interesting. I never thought there would be.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm asking this, and I'm serious.

Are the Jedi interested in constructing a light saber?

If so, can non-Jedi have one?

The Sum of Awe

I'm asking this, and I'm serious.

Are the Jedi interested in constructing a light saber?

If so, can non-Jedi have one?

This is a good question, because I recently discovered that some Jedi's carry around Light Sabers to churches that exist for Jediism.

I do not do this because it isn't a thing we have to do I guess.

Sure, a non-Jedi can have one.

This is only as far as I know for light sabers. Interesting question, I have learned something from this myself

A

angellous_evangellous

Cool. I want a real light saber, just like in the movies. With a blue blade.

The Sum of Awe

Cool. I want a real light saber, just like in the movies. With a blue blade.

I think they are not the ones like in the movies, more like the plastic ones. If they had the ones in the movies it would be a very known discover.

Definitely would be awesome if they were the real ones.

A

angellous_evangellous

I think they are not the ones like in the movies, more like the plastic ones. If they had the ones in the movies it would be a very known discover.

Definitely would be awesome if they were the real ones.

Yes, please let me know when this happens. Can ya'll do a force jump or force sleep yet?

A

angellous_evangellous

I doubt anyone can. Jediism isn't really based off of Star Wars, just something that Star Wars used which has been in other religions for years.

hmmm - I guess that there's different sects? In my reading, the Jedi are inseperable from the movies and books. The movies and books aren't Scripture per se, but cosmology and wisdom are taken straight from the Star Wars universe.

The Sum of Awe

hmmm - I guess that there's different sects? In my reading, the Jedi are inseperable from the movies and books. The movies and books aren't Scripture per se, but cosmology and wisdom are taken straight from the Star Wars universe.

A lot of the teachings are but we do not actually believe in Yoda or the Clones.

A

angellous_evangellous

A lot of the teachings are but we do not actually believe in Yoda or the Clones.

Oh yeah, I get that. For me, that went without saying.

The focus then is on George Lucas, the writer and the wisdom(s) that he expresses (whatever their source), and not on the fictional characters themselves.

But the force and the "supernatural" abilities that the Jedi have in the movies/books are available to the Jedi now --- or in the future.