• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Dopey Anything.....

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm following in Jay's footsteps although I've never had one of these threads......

Anybody want to know anything about me? Not really?

Somebody please ask me at least one question. *begs*

Edit: I'm only here for tonight and then will be leaving for two weeks. Get' em while they're hot!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
How many feral chimps does it take to change a lightbulb?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Now that there is no hell to you...what happens when you die?
You know, I have absolutely no idea, Robtex. I'm still new to this total religious freedom thing. :) Although I'm still leaning toward the notion that we have souls and continue to live on in some type of universal force experience. But, it doesn't really matter to me because we can never know...and that's ok.

I can say that a huge weight of guilt was lifted off me once I truly dumped the concept of hell. I feel freer than I have in years! And happier too. :monkey: Thanks for asking!

robtex

Veteran Member
You know, I have absolutely no idea, Robtex. I'm still new to this total religious freedom thing. :)
What does religious freedom mean to you and how could it be applied to a society or group?

Although I'm still leaning toward the notion that we have souls and continue to live on in some type of universal force experience. But, it doesn't really matter to me because we can never know...and that's ok.

If you are leaning towards souls are you leaning towards heaven too? Does this mean you are leaning away from reincarnation or the thought of no afterlife?

I can say that a huge weight of guilt was lifted off me once I truly dumped the concept of hell. I feel freer than I have in years! And happier too. :monkey: Thanks for asking!

Would it be fair to say, than metaphorically speaking that belief in hell made parts of your day-to-day life on earth hellish by adding undue stress? Is the idea that one doesn't get punished in the afterlife and thus there is no divine deterrent ok for you?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Do you follow a specific spiritual path?
My current path is the crooked and wobbly as opposed to my former Christian walk of the straight and narrow. :p I left Christianity in the last six months after a couple of years of religious history study and much questioning in my personal life regarding who God is...and these questions are mostly what brought me to RF.

To answer your question, I have no spiritual path at the moment except to continue to learn what I can about the possibility of God. And, I have to say that so far without God....I'm happier than I've ever been.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Why don't you own a laptop? that way you could take RF with you when you went on vacation and the more emotionally unstable among us wouldn't have to deal with these damn abandonment issues.:p

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What's cuter, a spider monkey, or a marmoset?

Spider Monkey
spidermonkey1.jpg

Marmoset
marmoset.jpg

I'm thinking Spider Monkey....unless you're talking Pygmy Marmosets.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What does religious freedom mean to you and how could it be applied to a society or group?
General religious freedom to me simply means to be able to worship however you choose. It's a very important concept that needs to always be upheld...it's worth fighting for regardless of personal religious beliefs or non belief.

Personal religious freedom (if I ever choose a particular religion again) would have to include no belief in hell and absolutely no intolerance toward those who live a different life style than me. But honestly, at this point I don't see myself turning back to any form of organized religion.
If you are leaning towards souls are you leaning towards heaven too? Does this mean you are leaning away from reincarnation or the thought of no afterlife?
I have a very dear friend who is an accomplished psychic. No snickering. :p She's been a radio personality here in Eugene with her speciality being after death communication. She claims all of us have lived many, many lives. I am fascinated and enjoy hearing all about her experiences but, I really haven't decided if I believe in reincarnation or not. A few of the sessions she's told me about have almost convinced me though. :)

As far as heaven, I don't think it exists and I'm fine with that. However, my youngest son Brandon wants to be a Baptist Youth Pastor. :help: He has no idea of my falling away from religion.

Would it be fair to say, than metaphorically speaking that belief in hell made parts of your day-to-day life on earth hellish by adding undue stress? Is the idea that one doesn't get punished in the afterlife and thus there is no divine deterrent ok for you?
Yes, most definitely belief in hell was a huge stress inducer in my former life. And, I didn't even realize that until my belief ended. I started a thread here last year titled, 'How Much Did the Place of Hell Influence Your Conversion to Christianity?'...or something similar. I was quite surprised by the responses. Most Christians said the place of Hell had little or no influence. In other words, they weren't 'scared' into believing. I just found that fact incredulous because it was the opposite experience for me. In general, I think American Christians are obsessed with the place/judgment of hell. I'm very happy to let it all go.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
My current path is the crooked and wobbly as opposed to my former Christian walk of the straight and narrow. :p I left Christianity in the last six months after a couple of years of religious history study and much questioning in my personal life regarding who God is...and these questions are mostly what brought me to RF.

To answer your question, I have no spiritual path at the moment except to continue to learn what I can about the possibility of God. And, I have to say that so far without God....I'm happier than I've ever been.

In some ways this echoes my story, only opposite in terms of God. But it's all the same in the end, eh? :)

RF really is a powerful community, isn't it?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
You are a most endearing person. What quality do you most admire in yourself, and in what way might others benefit from knowing you?
Oh my. Umm, is this a serious question? Eek.

I'd say the attribute I like the most about myself is that I'm very loving and generous. :eek: