• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask MysticSang'ha anything

Ozzie

I have a few educated guesses here and there. So, I guess I have some idea of where my karma is leading me. We'll see, though, where my decisions will ultimately take me............this "me" named "Heather." (I'm assuming you're speaking of this incarnation, correct?)

Peace,
Mystic
I have no doubt your karma is leading you up and beyond determism. How could it be otherwise for a dancer? Anyone thinking of rhythm could have no faith in determinism.:)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
4. Do you believe in an individualized "I" (above and beyond ego) or do you believe in a "not self" which is a perception beyond the confines of "self" altogether?

5. Is Nirvana/Nibanna a state that you attain or is it a state you simply grow aware of?

6. (Easy question.) How does one bypass the three Bardo's upon bodily death?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
4. Do you believe in an individualized "I" (above and beyond ego) or do you believe in a "not self" which is a perception beyond the confines of "self" altogether?

5. Is Nirvana/Nibanna a state that you attain or is it a state you simply grow aware of?

6. (Easy question.) How does one bypass the three Bardo's upon bodily death?

4. I kind of feel like I'm refering back to my answer for zenzero, unless you're asking for something different. So, I'll try to answer this a little differently. I adhere to the teachings of the "no self", one of the three Dharma seals. Any layering of individualization that separates "you" from "me" is an attempt to self-aggrandize and ultimately leads to the degree of suffering that one places on self-importance.

5. Is this a trick question? ;)

6. One merges with the ground luminosity - the dharmakaya, if you will, and also called the "clear light" - and becomes liberated.

Peace,
Mystic

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
4. I kind of feel like I'm refering back to my answer for zenzero, unless you're asking for something different. So, I'll try to answer this a little differently. I adhere to the teachings of the "no self", one of the three Dharma seals. Any layering of individualization that separates "you" from "me" is an attempt to self-aggrandize and ultimately leads to the degree of suffering that one places on self-importance.
Although my sentiments differ on this one, I can dig it. Binder dundat... burnt the T-shirt :)

5. Is this a trick question? ;)
You know me too well, methinks, lol. Sorta; kinda.

6. One merges with the ground luminosity - the dharmakaya, if you will, and also called the "clear light" - and becomes liberated.
Bingo! Nice.
:yes:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
7. (Drum roll!) Have you been fortunate enough yet to have a glimpse of this "clear light"?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
7. (Drum roll!) Have you been fortunate enough yet to have a glimpse of this "clear light"?

Oh I believe I have "glimpsed" it, as I've encountered some of the most mind-blowing experiences in a few meditation sessions. If I'm correct in my assumption of the experience being a glimpse of the dharmakaya, it was.........well............I can't honestly describe it. But I'll try:

Overwhelming love, from everywhere toward everywhere. Ultimate joy, bliss, happiness, and that I am a part of it. I am it, and it is by far not excluded to me nor those like me. I was so moved upon experiencing it that I found myself with tears streaming down my cheeks. I'm tearing up now remembering it.

These were experiences I had when I was also so sick that I was wasting away a couple years ago. Three different doctors could not give me any prognosis on my condition, where I lost 15 pounds in a week. I was rushed to the emergency room, and I truly believed I was dying of - what, I don't know.

Even though my body was being tortured by some unknown "thing", my mind was experiencing some of most grateful, loving, peaceful, and blissful moments I'd ever had. I'm usually reluctant to share this experience because I'm not sure how others might take it, and it's a VERY personal one at that, too. I was terrified one moment, and then overwhelmed with compassion and loving kindness the next.

But it was in my meditations where I experienced some of the most profound stuff, I guess. And in those moments, where I believed myself to be dying, I believe I caught a mere *glimpse* of the Clear Light.

When I somehow got better (strangely it was after I'd checked on my last will and testament, and called my husband to come home since I was in the hospital), I began study of the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Then the more I studied the sutras and the Vajrayana commentary, the more it confirmed everything I'd experienced.

Funny - I feel at my most vulnerable right now. Sharing this story makes me feel.........I don't know...........connected. I ask all who's reading this to please be patient since it's difficult to put everything I'd seen, heard, tasted, felt, etc. into words.

Well, I hope it at least answers the question. :eek:

Peace,
Mystic

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Funny - I feel at my most vulnerable right now. Sharing this story makes me feel.........I don't know...........connected. I ask all who's reading this to please be patient since it's difficult to put everything I'd seen, heard, tasted, felt, etc. into words.
Reading about your experience reminds me of the movie Contact where Jodie Foster takes some sort of alien space ride to a distant planet and has an incredible experience and then returns at the same time she left with not a shred of evidence to support what just happened. Though I have no understanding of what exactly happened, what was real or imagined, it's obvious that this experience has had a positive impact on you and I'm glad you're so willing to share it with the rest of us.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Well, I hope it at least answers the question. :eek:
It answers my question very well, as usual, Grasshoppette. It is a truly stunning sight and one that the voyager is not likely to ever forget. Legend has it that anyone who has seen it (and lived to tell about it) can remember almost all the details. The time, the place, nuances in the room (or environment) etc. I know I couldn't forget my "appointment with gnosis" (the first time) if I tried.

I do know what you mean about feeling vulnerable. I know very well as that is why I haven't said much about my experiences for thirty years plus, up until about three years ago now. Perhaps I am just thicker than others and needed to explore further than I ever imagined possible. Perhaps it was because instinctively I knew people would not understand. How could they without seeing for themselves? So now I see my "role" as helping those who are making their first giant steps. To offer courage and compassion and perhaps the odd joke or two.

To be honest, I see a lot of myself in your descriptions of that which cannot be described. I understand all too well. You see, as I encourage others, I find encouragement to continue to "boldly go where I have not been before". I know it's not just me going through this incredible stuff and I sincerely thank you for adding your notes to the cosmic symphony.

Tonight I was talking on the phone to dear Buttons (Ashley) and told her how frustrating it is to have your finger on the pulse of reality only to discover that people are not terribly interested in one's views as those views do not reflect their preconceived notions of what reality is and how it "should" behave. It's a strange thing to say but I feel that people prefer the cold comfort of their suffering rather than tackle an aspect of reality that can liberate them beyond their wildest imaginations.

At least I understand that nugget now.

Ah well, this is a great thread and I am thrilled you have allowed me to ask so many important questions that people need to hear the answers to... but don't realize it. As you may suspect, I knew the answers to all the questions I asked well in advance.

Though it sounds silly and pretentious, I offer whatever blessings are mine to give and encourage you to continue your inner explorations. Wait till you hit ... ;)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It answers my question very well, as usual, Grasshoppette. It is a truly stunning sight and one that the voyager is not likely to ever forget. Legend has it that anyone who has seen it (and lived to tell about it) can remember almost all the details. The time, the place, nuances in the room (or environment) etc. I know I couldn't forget my "appointment with gnosis" (the first time) if I tried.

Yes, yes, YES! I remember what the weather was outside. I remember the sounds perfectly like it was yesterday. I remember seeing every line, every detail, every thing, and that it was all so freakin' unbelievably BEAUTIFUL. I remember seeing an ant crawl by, and I was finding myself seeing myself in that ant, and it in me. I remember the leaves falling, the clouds going by..............and every color, line, smell, taste, was the most utterly fantastic phenomenon I'd ever had.

*looks again*

See, and even this doesn't really quite convey what happened, IMO. *ugh* It was so much more than merely feeling complete gratitude, it was like seeing things, people, animals, and me, as they truly are.

I think this is the reason why I particularly love Marianne Williamson's quote so much:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Despite the fact that I am a non-theist, this quote usually captures a bit of the power and the poetry of the moments I'd had.

LOL You know, I said "Ask MysticSang'ha anything", and I got what I wished for. Darnit, Paul! You just had to ask me one of the most difficult things for me to talk about! :D :hug:

Peace,
Mystic

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think this is the reason why I particularly love Marianne Williamson's quote so much:
That is a truly lovely quote.

Despite the fact that I am a non-theist, this quote usually captures a bit of the power and the poetry of the moments I'd had.
Yeppers. While reading this I smiled over the "I am a non-theist" thingy and thought, "Heather should try to imagine what I could have experienced that would change a fully conscious non-theist into a "believer" in a heartbeat. I'm not trying to "convert" you, but there is a lot out there/in there and I know Buddha left a lot of stuff out because he knew, he just knew, that no one would understand it the way it should be understood -- directly. It is my deepest suspicion the he thought, "Oh... they will figure out the rest, if I can get them to this point."

LOL You know, I said "Ask MysticSang'ha anything", and I got what I wished for. Darnit, Paul! You just had to ask me one of the most difficult things for me to talk about! :D :hug:
*wonders why he suddenly feels like Barbara Walters chatting to Patrick Swayze*

Your wish is my command!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Interesting reading the POSTS.
understanding is that when the individual merges with the UNIVERSAL during meditation the INDIVIDUAL no longer reamins the individual BUT becomes a PART of the WHOLE and so no enlightened person has spoken of that experience as HE was not there as an individual to bring back any thing.
Ymir GF you can understand that one cannot be aware of NIRVANA. Once attained the individual is lost. Buddha is not a person/individual but a state. State where it is back to existence. Its a hollow bamboo, a still lake etc. Whatever you throw it just reflects back to you. No reactions. No reactions are not because the person is not there it is because the MIND in that individual is CLEAR is a NO-MIND is a blank space.
Love & rgds

vandervalley

There seems to be an interest in how Buddhists (I guess generally speaking) regard vegetarianism. Penguino, would you like to start a thread on it in Same Faith Debates under Dharmic religions?

penguino did u start a thread on this topic? because if u did then I'd like to join in as well :D

vandervalley

So what is Tibetan Buddhists' ultimate goal? Is it to achieve Arahant-hood or Buddhahood?

I ask this because I heard from somewhere that Theravada Buddhists' ultimate goal is only to achieve arahant-hood.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
VV -

I think this distinction is mostly semantics.......by one definition there is only one "Buddha" per world-system per set of dharma-ages. That one is the one who awakens by him/herself and begins turning the Wheel (teaching the Dharma). All others who awaken through those teachings would be given another title (whether it be arahant {arhat}, small "b" buddha, or other title).

Other folk use Buddha for any who awaken. So, it comes mostly back to semantics.

vandervalley

by one definition there is only one "Buddha" per world-system per set of dharma-ages.

yep I agree with this sentence.

However I was asking for the ultimate goal in the long run; spanning many lifes after this.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
yep I agree with this sentence.

However I was asking for the ultimate goal in the long run; spanning many lifes after this.

The ultimate goal, in the long run, tends to run the same line as other Mahayana schools of thought, and that is to attain enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings. It's a bit different than Theravada, where individual liberation is stressed, and the concept of the Bodhisattva does not exist as it does in Mahayana. Vajrayana considers itself to be under the umbrella of Mahayana, so it is quite similar.

Does that answer your question?

Peace,
Mystic

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Friends,
Interesting reading the POSTS.
understanding is that when the individual merges with the UNIVERSAL during meditation the INDIVIDUAL no longer reamins the individual BUT becomes a PART of the WHOLE and so no enlightened person has spoken of that experience as HE was not there as an individual to bring back any thing.
Ymir GF you can understand that one cannot be aware of NIRVANA. Once attained the individual is lost. Buddha is not a person/individual but a state. State where it is back to existence. Its a hollow bamboo, a still lake etc. Whatever you throw it just reflects back to you. No reactions. No reactions are not because the person is not there it is because the MIND in that individual is CLEAR is a NO-MIND is a blank space.
Love & rgds
I don't wish to degrade this lovely thread on subjects you clearly have a limited grasp of. I used to think the way you have described, but my experience has grown well beyond these imaginary "goal posts". You are into Koans. Perhaps you may understand why I call Nirvana/Nibbana "Buddha's little joke". The thing is, you don't "get" the joke until you reach the destination and then you see the incredible humor in it. Unlock my riddle and you will understand far more than you may suspect.

... to attain enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings...
That would seem to me to be a splendidly worthy goal. Personal liberation is the easy road. Dragging the sparrows up to the height of the eagles is the only game in town, really. Personally I don't want full enlightenment 'til I am assured that I will have lots of company on my future endeavors. It's a dirty job, but some folks have got to do it, eh?