• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask your Questions regarding Christianity.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I am currently in the process of expanding the information on my website, and one way I plan on doing this is to incorporate a question and answer section on my site. So I am asking people to submit any question they may have regarding Christianity, and I will post it as well as an answer on my site, as well as this thread. Thank you.

Mark2020

I am currently in the process of expanding the information on my website, and one way I plan on doing this is to incorporate a question and answer section on my site. So I am asking people to submit any question they may have regarding Christianity, and I will post it as well as an answer on my site, as well as this thread. Thank you.

What is your website?

CynthiaCypher

How do orthodox Christian know that their version is the correct one? Have you guys stopped to consider that maybe one of the so-called Lost Christianities might be closer to what Jesus actually thought than orhtodox Christianity and that what you guys believe and practice might be the heresy?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Are you saved?

Jontehs

Premium Member
This question is more about history what is the oldest statement about that Jesus is God with out any ambiguity ? thank you for your time
P.S. please forgive my bad English

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
How do orthodox Christian know that their version is the correct one? Have you guys stopped to consider that maybe one of the so-called Lost Christianities might be closer to what Jesus actually thought than orhtodox Christianity and that what you guys believe and practice might be the heresy?
I'm not an orthodox Christian, in any sense. So I don't know who you are talking about when you say "you guys," as I'm not one of those people. I'm not even fully sure what you mean by orthodox Christianity, unless you are referring to the Orthodox churches, or Roman Catholicism.

Either way, how do they know their version is the correct one? Faith. It is the same way for nearly any group who things there version is the correct version; it is based on faith.

Personally, I am of the opinion there is no one correct version, but a variety of correct ways (both religious as well as nonreligious).

However, it would be incorrect to call what the "orthodox" churches practice heresy. The orthodox religious set defines what heresies are, those ideas contrary to the orthodox religious. I guess though, in a more broad view, if one wanted to call what the orthodox churches did heresy, then that still is a matter of opinion, based on faith. Basically, it boils down to faith.

As for the Lost Christianities being closer to what Jesus preached; there is a possibility that some of them did. I am assuming that there may be sects that we still are not aware of (most likely very small sects). However, with critical research, we can be fairly confident in knowing the basic ideas that Jesus taught, and those that the early church taught. We can also be fairly confident in knowing what a wide variety of these Lost Christianities taught, and whether or not they were closer to what Jesus preached.

In many cases, these other Lost Christianities simply were off the mark. For instance, there were those who rejected the god of the Old Testament. Or others who thought that there were a multiplicity of gods. We can know for certain that these were not ideas preached by a Jewish man, Jesus.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Are you saved?

It depends. First, just a little background. I grew up in an evangelical fundamentalist household. I actually got ordained in the church we attended (a non-denominational), and then later with the Assemblies of God (the church I attended merged with an Assemblies congregation, so I went through ordination again. I have now had that ordination revoked). I was born again, saved, baptized with the Holy Spirit, etc.

So I guess it boils more down to whether or not one believes in the idea once saved always saved. Personally, I don't have an opinion on it.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
As a non-Orthodox "Christian", what do you believe about sin in general and the role of Salvation in your life?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
This question is more about history what is the oldest statement about that Jesus is God with out any ambiguity ? thank you for your time
P.S. please forgive my bad English
I will have to do a little bit more research on this, as off the top of my head I can't a specific quote. I would personally put it back to around 90-95 C.E. with the Gospel of John. A very good case can be made for the idea that the author of John saw Jesus as God, or a form of God.

Now, it would be doubtful that one could locate the first exact statement, as the idea would have been worked out in the oral tradition, but I would say that the Gospel of John is possibly the first time that the idea was written, that we know of.

However, this is just a preliminary answer. I will do a little more research and respond shortly with a more thoughtful answer.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
As a non-Orthodox "Christian", what do you believe about sin in general and the role of Salvation in your life?
Honestly, I don't think much about sin. Looking at the dictionary, this is probably the closest definition of sin that I see: "an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission."

I have a hard time seeing it as a transgression of a divine law, as many definitions suggest. But I do believe that all people sin, and that sin should be avoided as much as possible. I don't think that a person who sins will be condemned though. This is partially because I do not believe in the idea of hell either.

At the same time though, I would like to believe that people who commit very grave sins, will be punished for those actions, but what exactly happens, I really have no opinion.

As with salvation, I must start off with saying that I do not think that Jesus died for our sins. I do not even believe that he necessarily was resurrected in a physical sense. To be honest, I think it is most likely that his body was left in a shallow grave, and probably was devoured by wild dogs and scavenging birds. However, I do believe that there was something. I like to think that there was a spiritual resurrection, but I wouldn't say for definite. All of that said, I do see that Jesus does signify something special.

I see the life of Jesus, death, and whatever happened afterwards, signifying something special. I don't think it was necessary, but a reminder of the love that God has for humankind (and I don't even see the actions of Jesus to be necessarily this symbol, but the story that arose from this, and the religion that arose from this). It represented the salvation that was already in place. It served as a reminder of what God already had in store, that people did not have to fear death, that we are saved, and that we didn't have to worry about being perfect.

Walkntune

Honestly, I don't think much about sin. Looking at the dictionary, this is probably the closest definition of sin that I see: "an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission."

I have a hard time seeing it as a transgression of a divine law, as many definitions suggest. But I do believe that all people sin, and that sin should be avoided as much as possible. I don't think that a person who sins will be condemned though. This is partially because I do not believe in the idea of hell either.

At the same time though, I would like to believe that people who commit very grave sins, will be punished for those actions, but what exactly happens, I really have no opinion.

As with salvation, I must start off with saying that I do not think that Jesus died for our sins. I do not even believe that he necessarily was resurrected in a physical sense. To be honest, I think it is most likely that his body was left in a shallow grave, and probably was devoured by wild dogs and scavenging birds. However, I do believe that there was something. I like to think that there was a spiritual resurrection, but I wouldn't say for definite. All of that said, I do see that Jesus does signify something special.

I see the life of Jesus, death, and whatever happened afterwards, signifying something special. I don't think it was necessary, but a reminder of the love that God has for humankind (and I don't even see the actions of Jesus to be necessarily this symbol, but the story that arose from this, and the religion that arose from this). It represented the salvation that was already in place. It served as a reminder of what God already had in store, that people did not have to fear death, that we are saved, and that we didn't have to worry about being perfect.
I am just curious as to what makes you think God exists? You say people are saved but you don't believe in Hell. What are they saved from?
If you don't believe Jesus was resurrected from the dead does he have the ability to still save you from death?Why should people not have the fear of death?
Do you assume Heaven exists but not hell?
Since none of your idealogies are based in scripture where do you get them from?
Sorry for so many questions but you have me puzzled.:confused:

Shermana

Heretic

Do you think it's possible Paul was one of the false apostles who Jesus warned would deceive the elect and was the "False apostle of Ephesus" warned about in Revelation?

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
It depends. First, just a little background. I grew up in an evangelical fundamentalist household. I actually got ordained in the church we attended (a non-denominational), and then later with the Assemblies of God (the church I attended merged with an Assemblies congregation, so I went through ordination again. I have now had that ordination revoked). I was born again, saved, baptized with the Holy Spirit, etc.

So I guess it boils more down to whether or not one believes in the idea once saved always saved. Personally, I don't have an opinion on it.

Was there a time when you genuinely believed Jesus was God? That we died and rose to pay our our sins? You know, the stuff that actual Christians believe? Do you acknowledge that Christianity teaches that the doctrines you are spreading are straight from the Devil's mouth? Given your Christian background, does that instill fear in you, fear of the wrath of God?

Shermana

Heretic
Was there a time when you genuinely believed Jesus was God? That we died and rose to pay our our sins? You know, the stuff that actual Christians believe?
Were Arians not Actual Christians? (This goes to Fallingblood) Are JW's not "actual Christians"? Mormons? Christadelphians? Unitarians?

Do you think its possible that Trinitarians are actually NOT "actual Christians?"

Do you think its possible that those who claim to be Christian use the Trinity as some kind of doctrinal requirement that is nowhere found in the text but instead wield it as a source of bashing on other faiths rather than actually thinking its a necessary incorporation of their faith?

And do you think most "Trinitarians" are in reality Modalists-in-denial?

Last edited:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Were Arians not Actual Christians? (This goes to Fallingblood) Are JW's not "actual Christians"?

Do you think its possible that Trinitarians are actually NOT "actual Christians?"

Do you think its possible that those who claim to be Christian use the Trinity as some kind of doctrinal requirement that is nowhere found in the text but instead wield it as a source of bashing on other faiths rather than actually thinking its a necessary incorporation of their faith?

I think there's a "bare bones" Gospel with a few key points

1. Jesus is the only God
2. Jesus is sinless
3. Jesus died and rose to pay for our sins
4. Jesus demands repentance

Shermana

Heretic
Repentance from what specifically? (And if it's Sin, define sin).

I don't think this is a debate to get into the merits of the Trinity doctrine or its scriptural evidence, but we can be sure that nowhere does it say Jesus is the Only G-d, otherwise he wouldn't have a god.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Repentance from what specifically? (And if it's Sin, define sin).

I don't think this is a debate to get into the merits of the Trinity doctrine or its scriptural evidence, but we can be sure that nowhere does it say Jesus is the Only G-d, otherwise he wouldn't have a god.

Non-trinitarians can be very confusing to deal with. On the one hand they might say that Jesus isn't the only God. One other hand they call themselves monotheists. Which is it?