• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At Thanksgiving

EyeofOdin

When at the home of your grandparents, parents or friends and you're having dinner, then they bow their heads to pray, what do you do?

Being in that situation, wearing Mjolnir around my neck, in a house where crosses are hung in every major room, I bow my head and pray.

Why? Because, they are showing hospitality to me and I am at the mercy for that time being of any and all gods of that household, so I show respect. The same, IMO, holds true for the reverse. If someone comes over for dinner, and I ask for a blessing from The Gods and The Spirits, as long as that person is in my house and I am giving hospitality to him or her, he or she is in the territory of my gods and should at least show some respect.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When at the home of your grandparents, parents or friends and you're having dinner, then they bow their heads to pray, what do you do?

Being in that situation, wearing Mjolnir around my neck, in a house where crosses are hung in every major room, I bow my head and pray.

Why? Because, they are showing hospitality to me and I am at the mercy for that time being of any and all gods of that household, so I show respect. The same, IMO, holds true for the reverse. If someone comes over for dinner, and I ask for a blessing from The Gods and The Spirits, as long as that person is in my house and I am giving hospitality to him or her, he or she is in the territory of my gods and should at least show some respect.

while I generally agree in principle and do the same, I do sometimes modify my blessings in my home to recognize the beliefs of my visitors. Heck, I've even been called upon to give blessing at their meals...

However, if it's the first time someone is coming over, especially if the topic has not been broached before, I find it wise to do a little prep work, so that the guests are not terribly surprised, and/or offended, at what should be a meal of pleasant fellowship.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I just silently say my own prayers, same as when Christian family or friends are at my house or even most times when it's just the wife, kids, and I.

Usually I listen to their prayers of thanks and acknowledge most of it as it deals with family, friends, food, being happy to be together, thankful for food and company/relationship with others, etc. The souls are all "pagan" deep down even though they throw in some words/names here and there that are not. :D

It's a very individual thing but I'm not big on making others share in any type of ritual. Uncomfortable atmosphere isn't the goal of the celebratory dinner or get together.