• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Alceste

Vagabond
Are you trying to claim that you don't have a concept or concepts in mind when you say "I don't believe that god exists?" Because, if that's so, then your statement is meaningless.

Yes, it is a somewhat meaningless statement because the word god does not have a universally accepted definition. On the other hand, it is a true statement because I don't believe in the vast majority of the wildly different god concepts I have so far encountered.

In order to answer a question honestly I must have a good idea what the questioner is asking. I need to know what the questioner means by "god". I don't need my own definition, so I have not bothered to construct one.

The "also" in there might have made my meaning ambiguous. I was simply showing four ways in which I would and could naturally state the concept that "No, I do not believe Kilgore is wearing a blue shirt."

One of those ways is not "I believe KT is not wearing a blue shirt". That's just guessing, rather than declining to construct a belief until evidence is presented.

"That's just guessing, rather than declining to construct a belief until evidence is presented."

EXACTLY.

Too clarify, it's not a believe, it's refusing to even construct a believe, instead waving off the notion of the existence.

Alceste

Vagabond
"That's just guessing, rather than declining to construct a belief until evidence is presented."

EXACTLY.

Too clarify, it's not a believe, it's refusing to even construct a believe, instead waving off the notion of the existence.

Yes, as a general rule, I hold off forming opinions on any subject until I get a good overview of the available empirical evidence, then I attempt to construct a logical opinion that accounts for the evidence. The outcome of this approach is that I do not have a bunch of extra opinions floating around, cluttering up my thinking, unattached to empirical evidence: such as the opinion that something called "god" does or does not exist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It says that I don't hold the belief "God exists". It doesn't say that I hold the belief "God doesn't exist". There are times when we use the phrase "I don't believe" to imply we believe the negative. For instance,:

- Is John in today?
- I don't believe so.
There are also contexts where "I don't believe" does not imply belief in the opposite. For instance, "I don't believe it's true; I know it's true!" Does not imply "I believe it's false and I know it's true."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
My hang up is that the wording "I don't believe god exists" does not imply such a neutrality, as it's natural analog is "I believe god does not exist." Neutrality would be best conveyed by "I have no opinion regarding whether god exists or does not exist."
I agree; or simply, "I don't know."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Isn't neutrality also conveyed by "I have no belief regarding whether god exists or does not exist"?
What would be implied or conveyed by saying, "I have no belief regarding whether the Eiffle Tower exists or does not exist"?

To me it implies:
- You have some knowledge that supercedes the uncertainty implied by a claim of only "belief."
- You have some reason to suspect the Eiffle Tower doesn't exist.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There are also contexts where "I don't believe" does not imply belief in the opposite. For instance, "I don't believe it's true; I know it's true!" Does not imply "I believe it's false and I know it's true."

Oh, of course. I'm just saying that there are contexts where "I don't believe X" implies "I believe X is not true", but the question of atheism is not one of those contexts.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Neutrality would be best conveyed by "I have no opinion regarding whether god exists or does not exist."

Indeed - which is equivalent to saying that you don't hold a belief one way or the other whether god exists or not, i.e., you don't believe god exists, nor do you believe god doesn't exist.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Why? Because I'm presenting a realistic, logical, rational view on things? Would it be better to leave you to nonsensical ramblings?

The bolded appears the exact Opposite of what you claim.

You're the one who keeps saying "This is how we use it...". I'm countering that statement. And I'm pretty sure when I say "atheist" it means what I say it means.

Another nonsensical statement. Positions of ignorance supplement belief? Does that make some kind of sense in your head?

You have to understand we supplement "knowledge" out of ignorance. All things conceived come from the mind, and cannot truly be known. Ignorance is universal, man "knows" nothing, and out of ignorance we supplement belief.

You have done nothing, nor have you proven that you actually know anything.

Wow, I've pretty much worn you to the point of blabbering, eh?

I don't see you proving that you know anything. Which is a point that has seemingly been ignored for the past 20 pages.

Bottom line - you have completely failed to even come close to demonstrating how atheism is a belief. If you ever want to attempt to formulate a cogent argument trying to show how it is, I'll be waiting.

I asked if you believed in the existence of a "God", and you said "no", as in "No I do not believe in the existence "God". The subject of the matter is that you just ignore all my points and counter will irrelevance and impertinence.

The "fact" of the matter is that all conceptualizations are subject to belief, simply because we hold trust and belief in our labels.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Indeed - which is equivalent to saying that you don't hold a belief one way or the other whether god exists or not, i.e., you don't believe god exists, nor do you believe god doesn't exist.

So you're arguing your "flavor" of atheism.

"God" is irrelevant to this debate, since the matter of belief revolves around the Aspect that trust is placed in such a label.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The bolded appears the exact Opposite of what you claim.

No, it doesn't. You picked out one sentence in my many posts. That one sentence is responding directly to an argument Copernicus is making. I have put many other points forward, but Copernicus has stated that he doesn't think I use "atheist" the way I say I do.

That was quite a dishonest attempt at an argument by you. You'll have to try a bit harder next time.

Interesting that this was the only thing of mine you responded to this time. You ignored my response explaining that belief about something doesn't make that something a belief. If I say "I don't believe a horse is a belief", does that make a horse a belief? Of course not. A horse would still be an animal. So, when I say "I don't believe God exists", that doesn't mean my non-belief in God is a belief.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
"God" is irrelevant to this debate, since the matter of belief revolves around the Aspect that trust is placed in such a label.

God is irrelevant to this debate, as your arguments consist of nothing more than semantical games and mental gymnastics. That's what I'm debating you about - your inability to form or understand a cogent argument.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You ignored my response explaining that belief about something doesn't make that something a belief. If I say "I don't believe a horse is a belief", does that make a horse a belief? Of course not. A horse would still be an animal. So, when I say "I don't believe God exists", that doesn't mean my non-belief in God is a belief.
He's not required to respond to a straw man argument.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
He's not required to respond to a straw man argument.
It's not a straw man argument.

If Orias' argument relies on some idea that, as a general principle, belief in a thing implies that the thing is a belief, then if it's generally true, it's true for specific cases as well, and a horse is a kind of thing.

If Orias isn't basing his argument on this, then so far, his case is just based on an unsupported assertion or a logical disconnect.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I don't really care whether you call it "meaning", "definition" or "butterscotch sundae". If you can, just tell us what you mean by "god" with enough detail that the rest of us would be able to tell whether any given thing would or wouldn't be considered a "god" in your formulation... without all the dancing around.
You'll never get a definition where it will always be possible to judge whether every entity you examine belongs to that category. That is because of semantic vagueness inherent in virtually all word meanings. There is no perfect definition of mundane words like "rock", "book", or "table", let alone "god". However, you can produce definitions that allow unambiguous classification in the majority of cases. Here is one for "god":
"A supernatural being that has control over natural physical forces and that people worship."

This is important to note: the meaning of a word or expression stays the same no matter what definition you use to describe it. Definitions are not fixed in stone. Your understanding of what the word "god" means and mine is probably fairly close. We judge the adequacy of definitions by examining how people use the words, not just how they say they use words.

So in your view, a faulty form of atheism isn't necessarily atheism at all?
No. What I was saying was that you cannot know the meaning of "atheism" if you do not know the meaning of "god".

Yes, it probably could, but it's rarely relevant the way that the vagueness of the term "god" is relevant to your definition of "atheism". I can't think of any term used to talk about doors, trees or rocks that requires a person to do something for the entire category in question.
I see no difference at all. A communist must know what communism is. An anti-communist must know what communism is. There are lots of words that are just like "theist" and "atheist". Your special treatment of words that rely on the concept of "god" is a form of special pleading, since you deny the relevance of your argument for other words.

For instance, there's no such thing as "a-geology" (which I'm defining as the study only of things that aren't rocks), so we don't need to ask whether a paleontologist studying fossils qualifies as an "a-geologist" or not.
You've completely lost me with this one. Perhaps it would be better to stick with "-ism" examples. There is such a thing as antisemitism, and it is relevant to ask whether a given politician is an antisemite. If you tried to define antisemtism, you would find that it is not so easy. There are clear cases of it and borderline cases, just as there are for communists and atheists.

If I depend on an external definition of "door" and not just my own understanding of the term, I can't say that I reject belief in doors until I've considered every possible door.
When we speak a language, we strive to use the same meanings for words as others--i.e. we assume that our meaning is "external" or acceptable to others. So we assume that our understanding is shared by others. The word "god" is no different from "door" in that respect and should not be treated as special. Again, I see you as engaging in special pleading in order not to be backed into the corner of admitting that you know enough about gods to believe that they do not exist. Doors, on the other hand, do exist, because we've seen them.

People only invent words that are useful to them.

Yes! And "atheism" follows a pattern that isn't generally useful in other contexts. Hence why the term "atheism" creates problems that we don't normally encounter with other words... at least when we try to apply your definition.
I'm not sure what "other contexts" you mean here. I see no special problems that we do not encounter with other similar words.

No, we have a fundamental disagreement. You are not the ultimate arbiter of how you use words.
Exactly who else is deciding what I mean when I communicate, then?
Whoever listens to you.

Yes, I know that. That's what I've been trying to argue this whole time: rejection of all gods implies awareness of all gods. This is where the problem arises if you want to define atheism in terms of rejection.
No, it implies rejection of belief in a category of beings. For example, both of us reject belief in the real existence of all cartoon characters without actually have encountered every instance of a cartoon character.

Babies do not "reject" belief in gods. To say that the set of things the baby rejects includes gods is patently absurd.

If we use some established definition of the term "god" and not the baby's (non-existent) understanding, then sure. But that's not what I was arguing.
Then what was your argument? All your Venn diagram example did was confuse the argument. You admit that babies do not reject gods, yet you tried to include an empty "god" set in the babies "rejection" space. That did not make sense.

We actually get into something close to a divide-by-zero error. AFAICT, whether the baby is an atheist or not is undefined, which means that you can't say with certainty that the baby's not an atheist.
No, you were not using set theory properly to represent the babies state of mind. It is reasonable to believe that the baby has a set of beliefs about the world it rejects. All minds have that. What is unreasonable is to represent the set of things it doesn't have any concept for as being in that space. If there is a divide-by-zero error here, it is you who is committing the error. Move that empty set outside of the rejection space, and you have an accurate description of my definition and no division by zero. ;)

Again, doesn't matter. If my definition of "god" is incorrect, then I'm a misguided atheist... but still an atheist.
Not really. You are just a person whose concept of atheism is misguided. A misguided atheist is someone who really is an atheist but defines atheism as "any person who lacks belief in gods". :p

My answer's B, but I think you knew that. I reject A because a baby has no belief in gods, and I reject C because I define atheism as "not theism", and therefore there is no such thing as "neither a theist nor an atheist"; every person is one or the other.
That is a false dichotomy that is motivated by your desire to maintain your definition at all costs.

If you're not willing to use your imagination on the issue of using the word "atheist" to describe a baby, why should I use my imagination on the issue of using the word "conveyance" to describe a car? It sounds "weird" to me, and apparently that's all that matters... right? I mean, that's basically what your argument comes down to for the word "atheist": you think it sounds "weird" to apply it to a baby, therefore it must be wrong.
Your analogy with "conveyance" fails, because everyone knows what "car" and "conveyance" mean, and we can come up with conversational contexts where your sentence would sound natural. That is not true for persons who have no "god" concept. In any case, I've started a survey on usage just to see what folks in RF who hang out in this forum think.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I see no difference at all. A communist must know what communism is. An anti-communist must know what communism is. There are lots of words that are just like "theist" and "atheist".

Hmmm...This might explain part of the problem. I would say that someone who calls himself a communist would have to have an idea of what communism is. I would say the same for an atheist. If you call yourself an atheist, I would think you'd have an idea of what God is. However, if one is not calling oneself a communist or atheist, and that label is being assigned by someone else, I wouldn't think you'd have to have any idea about communism or atheism. In the case of communism, you could believe that everyone's salary should be equal and the government should own all means of production, but you've never heard of Marx or communism.

Last edited: