• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Where Is God

Creator
You can't generalize atheists because there is only one criteria to atheism. The knowledge that there is no god. It changes from atheist to atheist because it could be something you "know" just like you "know" 2+2=4.... OR you "believe" there is no God because you understand that there is no negative evidence against god. And there can't be.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Except what you did was more like saying "no I'm not you are" than physically kicking in the nuts.

Simply stated, I do unto others, as they do unto me. :D I have to admit, you make for good conversation.

What position? My position that atheism is not a belief? Yes, I believe that atheism is not a belief.

But how does that make atheism itself a belief? I've asked you this three times now.

Because it's believed to be. I've answered this question 500 times...literally.

So, now that you have admitted that you believe that atheism is not a belief, and you label yourself an atheist, there must be some reconciliation within your mind.

I believe that atheism is [the absence of belief in a God]

So, here is where your challenge is: where, within the brackets, does belief come into it?.

I believe that atheism is [the absence of (right here---> belief )in a God]

Except for the fact that "God" is a subject of the term "atheism", so it's completely relevant. Or do you from now on want me to refer to atheism as the "absence of belief in a _____"? Because, just so you know, I'm not doing that.

Yes, "God" is a subject to the term atheism, not the point of my argument.

Orias

Left Hand Path
You can't generalize atheists because there is only one criteria to atheism. The knowledge that there is no god. It changes from atheist to atheist because it could be something you "know" just like you "know" 2+2=4.... OR you "believe" there is no God because you understand that there is no negative evidence against god. And there can't be.

You speak the words of the Devil! :run:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Simply stated, I do unto others, as they do unto me. :D I have to admit, you make for good conversation.
Fair enough.

Because it's believed to be. I've answered this question 500 times...literally.

So, now that you have admitted that you believe that atheism is not a belief, and you label yourself an atheist, there must be some reconciliation within your mind.
So, you have trouble distinguishing between a belief with regards to being right about a given subject, and what that subject actually means?

Once again, atheism is the absence of belief in a God. If I believe that definition to be correct, that does not make atheism a belief, since we are now dealing with what I believe with regards to whether or not I find my definition correct, rather than dealing with atheism itself.

You are changing the subjects and committing an equivocation fallacy.

I believe that atheism is [the absence of (right here---> belief )in a God]
Once again, why do you keep ignoring the "absence of" part. By your logic, the "absence of a pencil" is a pencil, purely because statement employs the use of the word "pencil".

Now, demonstrate where belief fits into the definition of [absence of belief in a God]

Yes, "God" is a subject to the term atheism, not the point of my argument.
I never said it was the point of your argument. You appear to be putting words in my mouth.

Where Is God

Creator
He has plenty of words...

No he just likes running...see? :run:

Do you believe the devil is a human being? If you do then you are correct. If you do not, your reasoning is wrong. If I say my dog said "gee, I love bacon," my dog didn't actually say anything. I did. The devil in physical form has never existed or said anything. Humans are the only creatures we know of that "speak"

Orias

Left Hand Path
Fair enough.

:D

So, you have trouble distinguishing between a belief with regards to being right about a given subject, and what that subject actually means?

No. The definition of atheism does not say "Is not a belief".

Once again, atheism is the absence of belief in a God. If I believe that definition to be correct, that does not make atheism a belief

I also believe that definition to be correct. But it makes your assertion to what atheism is a belief. But that is besides the point.

, since we are now dealing with what I believe with regards to whether or not I find my definition correct, rather than dealing with atheism itself.

That's exactly the point, even atheists can't agree among their own ranks.

You are changing the subjects and committing an equivocation fallacy.

If you read through the thread you will find that I will bring up the same points I have brought up to others. Call it a fallacy if you want, but that's just a cheap cop out ;)

Once again, why do you keep ignoring the "absence of" part. By your logic, the "absence of a pencil" is a pencil, purely because statement employs the use of the word "pencil".

You simply asked me to point out where belief fits into the definition. I simply pointed it out.

Unless of course you are asking me to point out the implication in the definition of atheism, that makes it a belief.

In that scenario, there is none, just as much as there is no implication that says atheism isn't a belief. So until then, it is believed to be, it is a belief.

I never said it was the point of your argument. You appear to be putting words in my mouth.

Not at all, you tried arguing it and claiming it as relevance. I simply said it wasn't.

So what makes atheism a belief? People believe it, they believe in the label. Trust in labels, is a belief.

Though I do realize there are those "atheists" that are doubtful of their own atheism. But those people got the message long, long, ago.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Do you believe the devil is a human being? If you do then you are correct. If you do not, your reasoning is wrong. If I say my dog said "gee, I love bacon," my dog didn't actually say anything. I did. The devil in physical form has never existed or said anything. Humans are the only creatures we know of that "speak"

Can I consider myself the Devil?

Orias

Left Hand Path
If in fact there is a "holy" doctrine describing your fall from heaven and you takeing random forms to break the will of "god", then yes.

HEHEHAHAHAHAHA :devil:

Just so you know, "Holy books" and Christian propagation in general is a horrible reference as to what the "Devil" is.

Where Is God

Creator

Just so you know, "Holy books" and Christian propagation in general is a horrible reference as to what the "Devil" is.

Sir there IS a difference between Devil and devil just as there is a difference between god and God. I have respected your intelligence so far please don't make me regret it.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Sir there IS a difference between Devil and devil just as there is a difference between god and God. I have respected your intelligence so far please don't make me regret it.

What differences?

Explain the "truth" that is so evident to you and not I :D

Where Is God

Creator
What differences?

Explain the "truth" that is so evident to you and not I :D

God is a specific name for the Christian god. Just as Devil is the specific name for the Christian devil. You may consider yourself a devil. If you are the Christian devil, you may call yourself Devil. Also, I never said anything about a "truth" when refering to the terminology of what you see yourself as.

ellenjanuary

I don't know, the Bible gave me my Authority. From Genesis 1:26 to Job 1:7, to finding an Aspect of personality deep within after numerous trials of burning the self.

I am Lucifer. :D

Can even bring the Aspect out, have some fun with it. But if you mean, "oooh, evil! Satan, satan, satan!" like the sheeple bemoan; yeah, you got a point. I mean, jeepers crow. We're already burnt with original sin... we're supposed to shy away from "forbidden knowledge?" Sounds to me, like we didn't learn nothing that way. It's obvious, even from a sheeperson perspective, that Eden was a set-up... we supposed to whine at god - you tricked us! Or, are we supposed to appreciate the wisdom of god, in knowing that somethings cannot be taught, they must be learned.

Am I in rebellion against god? Hell, no. I am god's little monkey. Sure enough, though, I rebel against religion. ;)

ellenjanuary

God is a specific name for the Christian god. Just as Devil is the specific name for the Christian devil. You may consider yourself a devil. If you are the Christian devil, you may call yourself Devil. Also, I never said anything about a "truth" when refering to the terminology of what you see yourself as.

Man... anything less defined than "atheist," it is "Christian God." Care to clean that up a bit?

Orias

Left Hand Path
God is a specific name for the Christian god.

That's faulty, "God" is a specific name for "God", because there is more "God(s)" than the Christian one, even though they just call him "God".

I call this magical can of mountian dew, "God" because it influences me in ways that nothing else is able to.

Just as Devil is the specific name for the Christian devil.

The Devil is, the devil.

The specific name for the Christian "D(d)evil", would be Satan, or from Hebrew texts, Ha-satan or shaitan. Which literally means "Opposition" or "Adversary".

You may consider yourself a devil. If you are the Christian devil, you may call yourself Devil.

I consider myself a devil to all who Oppose me.

Also, I never said anything about a "truth" when refering to the terminology of what you see yourself as.

In respect to your assertion, you did without any conviction.

I don't know, the Bible gave me my Authority. From Genesis 1:26 to Job 1:7, to finding an Aspect of personality deep within after numerous trials of burning the self.

I was speaking more along the lines of "scapegoating" but I completely understand. Some people are just able to see right through others deviations :D

I am Lucifer. :D

Light is Lucifer, light being within everyone of us, we are all "Lucifer". :D

Now, back on topic please ;)

ellenjanuary

Now, back on topic please ;)

What, atheism as a belief? Sorry... :sorry1:

But isn't that kinda like a "true Christian" kinda thing? I dropped in, shared my perspective, but in all honesty; I ain't an atheist. :D

You're doing fine. I just stuck my nose in, saw something I could take a bite outta, but if I'm slowing your roll; consider my friction - less. ;)