• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Commoner

Headache
Some aspect of you must.
Ok - but is it then appropriate to say that this is my belief? I hardly think so. It might mean that I have doubts about just how sure I can be about whether or not spiders are dangerous, for instance - or whether or not I can be sure I'm looking at a "spider" in the first place, not somme other monstrosity. Or it might be a completely instinctual response with absolutely no conscious awareness.
You are right in that you can hold two conflicting beliefs. But I disagree that merely acknowledging that a belief is irrational somehow divests it of its "beliefness". And I certainly believe that if you fear something, it is because you believe something to be true about that something.
Something, yes - something. But that does not imply that I believe that spiders are deadly/dangerous/poisonous, does it? For you to present me as having this belief to a third-party would be misleading, would it not?
I do not equate belief with knowledge or necessarily conviction. Belief is simply a position you take in regards to something.
Even then, I can hardly be said to be of a position that spiders are deadly, now can I?
All of these could be said for the proposed definition of atheism before it had gathered steam among the atheistic community. Maybe some theists would like to be able to claim that theirs is not a belief, and that the babies and undecided are theists. They just haven't thought of it yet.
I look forward to that discussion, this isn't it though.

Last edited:

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Apparently, which is why I asked for you to back up your position with something to support it. Are you going to?
I'm sorry, but I prefer not to get entangled in a different debate here about subspecies of atheists. That does not interest me as much as the general term "atheist". Maybe another time, though.

IOW, the term doesn't mesh well with your preconception of what "atheism" means.

The oxymoron is easily resolved if you just change that preconception.
I do not consider the term "implicit atheist" to be relevant to this discussion. As I've explained to you before, modifiers can drastically skew the semantics of head nouns, as in expressions like "fake gun" and "imitation car". We can debate for another hundred pages on whether implicit atheists are really atheists, and I'm just not up for it.

I disagree, but even so, it's rather hypocritical to complain about someone's actions, and then when you're caught doing the same thing yourself, excuse it by saying "but everyone else was doing it".
I have no intention of charging you with hypocrisy (whether I think it or not), and I would prefer you to focus on the flaws in my argument and not in my character. I went through that with Mball, and I have no intention of having it happen again. I did not agree with your original complaint, and you did not "catch" me at anything.

At this point, I seriously doubt that. If this were really true, you'd have stuck to asking about how people generally use the term "atheist" and wouldn't have gone off on this "baby" tangent at all.
The "baby" tangent was well-motivated. Atheists use that argument all the time, so it was legitimate to start a survey on usage, albeit a superficial one. Also, Teapot's video clearly corroborated my sense that it was relevant to this discussion.

Well, in your infinite wisdom as a linguist, a lexicographer, or whatever it is you claim to be, I'm sure you could figure out a way to word such a survey so that it gets to the point while still meeting your standards.
Yes, but people usually pay me to do that, and you aren't paying me. It is not a trivial exercise to create decent linguistic surveys, and I don't think that it would change your position on the meaning of "atheism" one iota.

Well, no - it's directly relevant: if weak atheism is in fact a term for implicit atheism, and weak atheism is atheism, then the issue of the thread is settled.
No, it isn't. These are both controversial terms whose meaning does not extend to general usage. If the meaning of "weak atheist" varies with the individual, that proves nothing about the usage of the centuries-old term "atheism" in general English, which is what this entire thread has been about.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I do not consider the term "implicit atheist" to be relevant to this discussion. As I've explained to you before, modifiers can drastically skew the semantics of head nouns, as in expressions like "fake gun" and "imitation car". We can debate for another hundred pages on whether implicit atheists are really atheists, and I'm just not up for it.
Adjectives like "fake" and "imitation" imply negation. Adjectives like "implicit" and "weak" do not.

I have no intention of charging you with hypocrisy (whether I think it or not), and I would prefer you to focus on the flaws in my argument and not in my character.
I have been.

For quite a few pages now, responding to your posts has almost become a game of "spot the logical fallacy". I point out serious problems with your arguments, but you just choose not to respond to them.

The "baby" tangent was well-motivated.
Except that you had to go against your own stated approach to adopt that line of argument in the first place.

You've dodged this question several times now, and I'd appreciate an answer: if the grey edges of the term "god" don't matter when trying to decide whether "rejection of belief in all gods" is reasonable or even possible, why would the grey edges of the term "atheist" matter now?

Atheists use that argument all the time, so it was legitimate to start a survey on usage, albeit a superficial one. Also, Teapot's video clearly corroborated my sense that it was relevant to this discussion.
I haven't denied that people do use the term "atheist" in the way you do. But your argument hinges on it being the only valid way to use it, which is something I completely reject.

Yes, but people usually pay me to do that, and you aren't paying me. It is not a trivial exercise to create decent linguistic surveys, and I don't think that it would change your position on the meaning of "atheism" one iota.
I don't think it would either, because I expect that such a survey would support my position.

No, it isn't. These are both controversial terms whose meaning does not extend to general usage. If the meaning of "weak atheist" varies with the individual, that proves nothing about the usage of the centuries-old term "atheism" in general English, which is what this entire thread has been about.
No, it hasn't been.

Historically, the term "atheist" meant something more like "person who doesn't follow the god(s) of mainstream society". Muslims and Jews were "atheists" because they denied Christ. Whether we go with your definition or mine, we're talking about a definition that differs from the historical definition of the term.

This has never been about some "centuries-old" usage.

Copernicus

Copernicus, I've been very consistent with my position from the very beginning. The only thing we disagree on is whether or not one needs to believe in the inexistence of gods in order to be an atheist, we've never disagreed regarding "not having belief in god" not being sufficient when taken very literally. But for all practical situations, it is (imo) more accurate than your definition - and neither is "misuse-proof". But at least "lack of belief" can be misinterpreted only in one very specific example with which "common usage" has no connection, while "rejection of belief" can be misinterpreted quite readily to make a large population of people who consider themselves, as well as each other, atheist... "not atheists". And that's quite relevant, imo, unlike babies and brain dead people (no offense to creationists).
I think that you probably have been very consistent, but that doesn't mean that your writing or my comprehension were perfect. I appreciate your efforts to clarify your thinking. That "large population" is only relative to these internet discussion forums. I think of the general English-speaking population as quite a bit larger. Sometimes we get a skewed idea of how people use language from our own limited experiences. I enjoyed Teapot's video, which I thought did a very good job of conveying the "absence of belief" position. It took the position that rejection really was rejection of the argument, not the truth of the conclusion. My impression about atheism, though, is that most people see it as a rejection of the proposition that gods exist, not just theistic arguments. I think that my impression is supported by the majority of dictionary definitions.

Are you now infering common usage from dictionary definitions? Should I perhaps point you to the definition of "atheist" as "lack of belief"...
Dictionaries are usually compiled by people who know what they are doing, but a dictionary definition can be good or bad for a number of reasons. You won't find the "lack of belief" language in a lot of dictionaries, but you will find it in some. I've explained why I think it is there--because people know that atheism entails lack of belief, and that seems to describe people whose rejection of belief is relatively mild. The reason I dislike that wording is because of the way people have turned it around to jump to conclusions about usage that just aren't supported by the facts.

...We need not go any further - both definitions already exist and, by inference and by analogy, necessarily represent "common usage". Which was my point all along - there is no "one" definition that is sufficient, there is no "one" majority on the matter.
I don't agree. Definitions can be good or bad for a lot of reasons, and lexicographers can get into some bitter arguments with each other. What settles those arguments are experiments and citations of usage. Then, of course, there is always the nagging question of whether to go for a broad-brush definition or finer-grained ones.

See, this is where you make a no-no eevery time. You try to argue from my beliefs (or what you really think they are) to what the definition of atheism is. I don't accept this and I didn't say that I agree that atheists consider gods to be implausible things.
Sorry, I thought that you had agreed to that. This is where I get the impression that you dance away every time you find me saying that we are in agreement on our understanding of "atheism". :) Well, let me ask you. Do you believe that all atheists consider gods to be implausible beings? If not, can you describe an atheist who does not think them implausible?

Gloone

I can’t believe this thread is still going. :p

Atheist will believe whatever they want to believe. So choosing to believe that they have no belief is still a belief because they are choosing not to have one.

How is that for a squiggly flying spaghetti monster? :fsm:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Stargate Universe, season 2 episode 16. Greer and Varro are hunting a creature on a planet who has taken two of their party and is holding them for food. They finally find the creature's lair, a cave on a hillside. Varro says, "I'll go first. Scout out the area. If it's clear, I'll radio back."

Greer gives him a look, and says, "I don't think so."

Is Greer saying he harbours no thoughts on the matter? I don't think so. :D

"I don't believe" is used in the same way, to indicate that the claim is not accepted.

Gloone

Yes also means Yes and No also means No. Those are positive statements.

Saying I don’t believe so, or I don’t think so is what someone says when they are unsure or in doubt. He doesn’t think? I think he should probably use his brain, unless he is using it rhetorically.
So saying I don’t believe, is just a rhetorical response to an uncertain proposition.

I also just killed the FSM. The poor thing never stood a chance. I never liked spaghetti anyways. That stuff is disgusting.

Commoner

Headache
I think that you probably have been very consistent, but that doesn't mean that your writing or my comprehension were perfect. I appreciate your efforts to clarify your thinking. That "large population" is only relative to these internet discussion forums. I think of the general English-speaking population as quite a bit larger. Sometimes we get a skewed idea of how people use language from our own limited experiences. I enjoyed Teapot's video, which I thought did a very good job of conveying the "absence of belief" position. It took the position that rejection really was rejection of the argument, not the truth of the conclusion. My impression about atheism, though, is that most people see it as a rejection of the proposition that gods exist, not just theistic arguments. I think that my impression is supported by the majority of dictionary definitions.
That's lovely. Let me stress this again - neither my definition, nor yours, have anything to do with how the "general population" understands the word. They neither think that a belief that god does not exists is necessary for one to be an atheist, nor that a lack of belief is sufficient. This is a complete red herring. An atheist doesn't believe in a god - that's it, that's all there is to it for most people. So when I say there is a large population of people (relative to the atheist minority, of course), who describe themselves as being atheists (and are acknowledged as being "atheists" by other atheists), while not claiming to hold a belief that a god does not exist, I'm not trying to argue that this is the mass of people that gets to decide what the general meaning of the word is. They are, however, those on which the decision of whether or not atheism is more accurately described as "absence of belief" or "rejection of belief" must be based. These are both details, both completely irrelevant to the "general population". So, insofar that only one of them is to be used in the definition of atheism (which I think is a mistake), this internet-discussion-forum-sized group which you are, in my opinion, grossly understating, is the relevant group.
Dictionaries are usually compiled by people who know what they are doing, but a dictionary definition can be good or bad for a number of reasons. You won't find the "lack of belief" language in a lot of dictionaries, but you will find it in some. I've explained why I think it is there--because people know that atheism entails lack of belief, and that seems to describe people whose rejection of belief is relatively mild. The reason I dislike that wording is because of the way people have turned it around to jump to conclusions about usage that just aren't supported by the facts.
Yet you're still proposing your definition despite the demonstrable presence of atheists who do not claim to have a belief that god does not exist. Don't you think "rejection of belief" could just as easily be misused to characterize atheists as dogmatic and unresonable by that much larger "general English-speaking population"? If what you perceive to be misuse is the reason you want to change the definition (or argue in favor of your definition), how could you possibly argue that "believes that god doesn't exist" would achieve that? You know perfectly well that the misinterpretation of that has lead to atheists stressing "lack of belief" in the first place. Otherwise, it would have been a non-issue to begin with and we would have gone on quite happily as "he/she doesn't believe in a god".
I don't agree. Definitions can be good or bad for a lot of reasons, and lexicographers can get into some bitter arguments with each other. What settles those arguments are experiments and citations of usage. Then, of course, there is always the nagging question of whether to go for a broad-brush definition or finer-grained ones.
Copernicus, I agree with you - that's why I found it strange that you had offered up two different dictionary definitions as your arguement, instead of explaining why you thought the one you were using was appropriate.
Sorry, I thought that you had agreed to that. This is where I get the impression that you dance away every time you find me saying that we are in agreement on our understanding of "atheism". :) Well, let me ask you. Do you believe that all atheists consider gods to be implausible beings? If not, can you describe an atheist who does not think them implausible?
I can. Meet Johnny. He does not concearn himself with religion or god (funnily enough, he does enjoy some choral music) but is, at a certain point in time confronted with the claim that god exists - let's say by a friendly Christian. He (briefly) considers the idea and concludes that the paradoxal nature of an all-merciful, all-just being is enough to reject the claim, so he stops his analysis. Such a being cannot exist. He carries on, blissfully unemcumbered by religion and a belief in a god and is, for all intents and purposes, an atheist.

However, he cannot be said to hold the belief that god does not exist or that gods are implausible - not even if we establish a relativelly simple definition of god. He has not rejected the idea of a supreme being, nor of a creator of the universe, nor anything of the sort. He would much rather continue listening to his choral music than pondering about whether or not a creator god is plausible. He does not care.

Now, whether or not all atheists, bombarded by the religious claims and frustrated by the effects of religion on their lives, eventually put in the brain-hours and come to the conclusion that gods (let's say these are beings that create universes of the complexity of our own) are implausible is, I think, completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Is Johnny an atheist?

Last edited:

Copernicus

That's lovely. Let me stress this again - neither my definition, nor yours, have anything to do with how the "general population" understands the word...
Hold on. You are forgetting something. It isn't a matter of whose definition it is. Dictionaries are relevant to the discussion, because their job is to reflect popular usage. So the popularity of "belief that not" definitions and rareness of "absence of belief" definitions is relevant evidence.

Yet you're still proposing your definition despite the demonstrable presence of atheists who do not claim to have a belief that god does not exist. Don't you think "rejection of belief" could just as easily be misused to characterize atheists as dogmatic and unresonable by that much larger "general English-speaking population"? ...
No. Whatever meaning the English-speaking population uses for a word is its meaning. There are no other bona fide criteria for determining word meanings.

Copernicus, I agree with you - that's why I found it strange that you had offered up two different dictionary definitions as your arguement, instead of explaining why you thought the one you were using was appropriate.
Because dictionaries by and large do define word meanings correctly, although the quality of the definitions can vary. I can offer my personal opinion about general usage, but it is better to offer more objective evidence.

...Is Johnny an atheist?
I don't know. We would need to ask your hypothetical Johnny additional questions about what he believes with respect to beings like gods. Atheism is not just the rejection of a specific god, although that sense of the word has been used in the past. (For example, the Romans were said to have tried Christians for the crime of "atheism", but that wasn't in an English-speaking venue.) My guess is that most people would probably call him an atheist for rejecting belief in their God, which is the only god that they consider relevant, but we have no data to confirm such guesses. In the end, the question turns on who people use the word "atheist", not how we think they ought to use it.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Stargate Universe, season 2 episode 16. Greer and Varro are hunting a creature on a planet who has taken two of their party and is holding them for food. They finally find the creature's lair, a cave on a hillside. Varro says, "I'll go first. Scout out the area. If it's clear, I'll radio back."

"I don't believe" is used in the same way, to indicate that the claim is not accepted.

We've already been over this. Yes, that is one use for that phrase, but that's a different context.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Atheism is not just the rejection of a specific god, although that sense of the word has been used in the past.

It's not? So, atheism is the rejection of everything that can be called "God"? I thought the "God" had to fit your particular definition, which would make it a specific god.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Stephen Pinker uses an example to talk about the strange conventions we've adopted in different social situations: "if you could pass me the potatoes, that would be awesome."

We interpret this to be a way of asking the person being addressed to pass the potatoes, but that request is nowhere in the strict literal sense of the phrase. It's not actually presented as a request at all; instead, it's an open-ended musing about what sorts of events might inspire awe in the speaker. Still, based on context and social cues, we can hear this and infer that the speaker wants us to pass him the potatoes.

"I don't believe _____" effectively means "I fail to accept that _____ is true". Depending on context, we might be able to infer why the speaker fails to accept the claim in question. In many cases, it might be very reasonable to infer that the reason why the speaker doesn't accept it is because he actually believes that it's false, but that's still an inference based on things outside the strict meaning of the statement itself.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think you're confusing the meaning of "atheism" with the characteristics of individual atheists.

We've gone over this before: there's more to the meaning of "atheism" than simply examining the common characteristics of atheists. If you take that approach, then you'd end up with all sorts of nutty conclusions, for example, that you have to have a nose to be a doctor, or that being endothermic is part of what it means to be a Republican.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
... common among people who believe that failure to accept a claim automatically means acceptance of the claim's negation, sure. This doesn't make them right, though.
Maybe because when people are trying to make the point that they do not believe either case-- the positive or negative assertion-- they will say something like "I don't know" or "I have no opinion". They will never, ever (unless they are an atheist on a debate forum trying to make a point) only use "I don't believe X" and not mean "I believe not X".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe because when people are trying to make the point that they do not believe either case-- the positive or negative assertion-- they will say something like "I don't know" or "I have no opinion". They will never, ever (unless they are an atheist on a debate forum trying to make a point) only use "I don't believe X" and not mean "I believe not X".
Heh... only people who haven't done electronics would treat hysteresis (the zone between a clear "true" and a clear "false", in digital electronics) as negligible. :D

When confronted with an assertion, there are plenty of ways to express that the assertion is not accepted without implying that it's necessarily false; "I don't accept that" or "I don't believe you", for instance.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Strong atheism includes a belief, and some balloons contain the quality "made out of foil". In the first case, the belief "God doesn't exist" is the reason for "strong" but not for "atheism. In the second case, "made out of foil" is the reason for "foil" but not for balloon". In other words, atheism is the lack of belief in gods. When you add "strong" to it, it becomes "lack of belief in gods, along with the belief that gods don't exist".
The belief that gods do not exist is so entwined with the concept of atheism, I find it strange to make it some mere corollary. But that, I suppose, is more of a quibble than anything.

You still have not addressed my point, though. If you do indeed feel that "lack of belief" is something that all forms of atheism share, and that means that all forms of atheism are "not a belief", then you should be able to state that strong atheism is not a belief. The reason you don't want to do so is precisely the reason why I believe it incorrect and misleading to state that atheism (in general) is not a belief.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Atheism is not just the rejection of a specific god, although that sense of the word has been used in the past. (For example, the Romans were said to have tried Christians for the crime of "atheism", but that wasn't in an English-speaking venue.)
So? You were happy to cite French and Latin meanings before in support of your case... remember your argument about how the "a-" in "atheism" doesn't work the same as the "a-" prefix in other words?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Heh... only people who haven't done electronics would treat hysteresis (the zone between a clear "true" and a clear "false", in digital electronics) as negligible. :D
Oh, I do believe that there are the undecideds, between yes and no. I just don't think that there are as many as are claimed to be. ;) Or, to put it another way, I think the grey area has been coopted by a set who really don't belong in the grey area but want to be there for whatever reason.

9-10ths_Penguin said:
When confronted with an assertion, there are plenty of ways to express that the assertion is not accepted without implying that it's necessarily false; "I don't accept that" or "I don't believe you", for instance.
Sally: Grapefruit grows on bushes.
Mark: I don't believe you.

This means that Mark does not believe that grapefruit grows on bushes. If he wanted to mean something different-- some grey middle ground-- he would have said something like "Maybe" or "Perhaps" (it's possible they do, it's possible they don't), or "I don't know (if that's true or not)". Saying "I don't believe you" commits him to one side of the fence.