• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism doesn't mean much.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yep just random off topic insult.:rolleyes:

It's not an insult. It's an observation. You're showing hatred not just towards atheists - but humanity in general - for despising the human being's ability to reason and/or access truth. That's an extremely low view of humanity - misanthropic.

As for artlessness, that's a matter of taste. Your OP is no different than saying you dismiss people completely because they don't like country music, but really that displays an artless rejection of country music on your part.

redpolk

When someone says, 'I'm an atheist', my reaction is pretty much, "so what"? I mean, it's not telling me anything, it's basically a statement in the negative. It doesn't tell me that the person is excercising some 'rationale' to reach that conclusion. It could just as easily be assumed that atheism is the default position for that individual when not thinking about the ideas at all.
It depends on where they live.In places where secular ideas are widely accepted like Scandinavia,it may well be a default position requiring little thought but in many parts of America especially the Bible Belt it risks considerable ostracism and is probably based on careful consideration.

redpolk

I deny the existence of a God who either punishes, or awards. I deny the existence of a God who intervenes into reality and who is able to interfere with our free will.
I deny the existence of a God who created all that exists in 7 days.

am I an Atheist?
Maybe you are a Deist or a Pantheist.

Why would you need to test anything to be an atheist?

Because, no matter how much one claims otherwise, atheism is not, never has been, and never will be agnosticism. Atheism is the explicit denial of the existence of God. It is a positive claim about the nature of existence, and as such, it requires positive supporting evidence.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Because, no matter how much one claims otherwise, atheism is not, never has been, and never will be agnosticism. Atheism is the explicit denial of the existence of God. It is a positive claim about the nature of existence, and as such, it requires positive supporting evidence.

No it's not. But by all means, redefine it to whatever suits your argument.
I'm both an agnostic and an atheist. They're not mutually exclusive.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat

No it isn't. Atheism is just disbelief, not a knowledge claim.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall...