• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief, so why would anyone lie that it is?

Do you accept atheism is not a belief, or do you lie it is?

• Total voters

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
"Estimations show there are more than 200 Christian denominations in the U.S. and a staggering 45,000 globally, according to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity."

Not so easy as it sounds, apparently.

Isn't it three equal parts, a trinity, otherwise what is Unitarianism?

As I said not so simple as it seems.
I'll leave it to the Christians to explain Trinitarianism to you.

Unitarian universalism is not a christian church.

lukethethird

unknown member
That didn't really answer my question. You list your religion as Xian. I assume you're just using the abbreviation for Christian? You believe in God, in some fashion or other? How do you identify yourself? As a theist or an atheist? I know Christians who are atheists. I'm curious if that's how you see yourself.

Don't base your answer on how I see myself. That's irrelevant here.
What's relevant is that you're a theist and it is theists that are the ones making claims of invisible gods out there. If there were no theists making such claims there would be no one saying, "wait a minute." Atheism is predicated on there being theists, big difference because there is no "coin" if there are no theists.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh come come. There are a few core beliefs taht all Christian churches share, such as there is a God, Jesus is the messiah, and that he died for our sins.
That is true for most Christian churches. That only means that he is not a member of those churches. It does not mean that those churches are right in their interpretations. In fact they cannot be since there are some significant differences between the sects.

A Christian need not follow the teachings of any church. He only needs to follow the teachings of Jesus.

RestlessSoul

What's relevant is that you're a theist and it is theists that are the ones making claims of invisible gods out there. If there were no theists making such claims there would be no one saying, "wait a minute." Atheism is predicated on there being theists, big difference because there is no "coin" if there are no theists.

So without God, you wouldn’t be here?

RestlessSoul

That is true for most Christian churches. That only means that he is not a member of those churches. It does not mean that those churches are right in their interpretations. In fact they cannot be since there are some significant differences between the sects.

A Christian need not follow the teachings of any church. He only needs to follow the teachings of Jesus.

A Christian, one would imagine, follows the teaching of Jesus Christ. When I mentioned this to you before, you responded with a quibble about etymology, but that looked like you avoiding the point, frankly.

There are of course people who acknowledge Jesus of Nazareth as a great moral teacher, while affording him no privileged spiritual status. Such people would be unlikely to define themselves as Christians.

People can give themselves any label they want, but words still matter; isn’t that the point of this thread?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A Christian, one would imagine, follows the teaching of Jesus Christ. When I mentioned this to you before, you responded with a quibble about etymology, but that looked like you avoiding the point, frankly.

There are of course people who acknowledge Jesus of Nazareth as a great moral teacher, while affording him no privileged spiritual status. Such people would be unlikely to define themselves as Christians.

People can give themselves any label they want, but words still matter; isn’t that the point of this thread?
Nope, you screwed up by being excessively literal. That was not a quiblle.

And so what if most would not qualify themselves as Christians? Of course that would be a claim that you would need to justify. This is a case where only one person presenting a good argument would refute you.

RestlessSoul

Nope, you screwed up by being excessively literal. That was not a quiblle.

And so what if most would not qualify themselves as Christians? Of course that would be a claim that you would need to justify. This is a case where only one person presenting a good argument would refute you.

Hair splitting, mate. Christian - the clue is in the name.

I could post half a dozen links if I cba, but to what end? Just look the word Christ up, anywhere.

Colt

I didn't join RF to promote or discuss atheism. I just liked talking about ideas, current events, &c, and my cat isn't much of a conversationalist.

When I make atheist comments it's in response to someone else who brought up the subject.
I don't know where you come up with this portrayal of atheists as special snowflakes. What we mostly seem to be doing here is asking for evidence and pointing out logical errors in theists' reasoning.
I suspect some theists find this disturbing or threatening, and feel a need to retaliate with anti-atheist propaganda.
Sure, of coarse, an atheist just looking for conversation, a place to discuss “ideas” and “current events” happens to join a “Religious Forum.”

Sheldon

Veteran Member
If they conform to that definition of atheist, then that definition is insane! :) That's my point.

That's not how definitions are derived though. If we abandon common usage we lose clarity. Why is it so hard for theists to grasp there are different kinds of atheists, and atheism must necessarily encompass them all? What is this desperation to assign belief to all atheists? I accept there are all manner of theists, and if they tell me what they think or believe or don't believe for that matter, I take them at their word, yet they won't reciprocate.
Only those who can evaluate a proposition, such as the existence of God, and cognitively decide on that question can be said to not believe it. An infant is not capable of such higher cognitive functions.

I've lost track of the number of theists on here who've claim all humans are born with an innate belief in the spiritual, and not once do I recall a theist protesting? Now this....

Methinks atheists are really hoping to find solace in this notion that theism is a corruption of the natural state of disbelief. It's absurdity.
It's a straw man you've created in fact.

I see theism and atheism as the exact same thing,

Now that is insane.

it would make me feel happier if you were to just acknowledge it's a belief,

Well far be it from me to let what I think get in the way of your happiness, do you even hear yourself here?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to be an atheist as a belief.

I agree, but is it ok by you I'd like to make my own choices, and while I choose not to believe in any deity or deities, I also choose not make claims or hold beliefs I cannot demsonrate sufficient objective evidence for. So you will have to find a way to live with that, and if necessary you can be unhappy about it as well. nevertheless is is my choice, not yours or anyone else's.