• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief, so why would anyone lie that it is?

Do you accept atheism is not a belief, or do you lie it is?

• Total voters

A Vestigial Mote

Bertrand Russell on whether he considered himself an atheist or an agnostic:

Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line.

I cannot prove that either the Christian God or the Homeric gods do not exist, but I do not think that their existence is an alternative that is sufficiently probable to be worth serious consideration. Therefore, I suppose that that on these documents that they submit to me on these occasions I ought to say "Atheist", although it has been a very difficult problem, and sometimes I have said one and sometimes the other without any clear principle by which to go. When one admits that nothing is certain one must, I think, also admit that some things are much more nearly certain than others. It is much more nearly certain that we are assembled here tonight than it is that this or that political party is in the right. Certainly there are degrees of certainty, and one should be very careful to emphasize that fact, because otherwise one is landed in an utter skepticism, and complete skepticism would, of course, be totally barren and completely useless.
And would Bertrand Russel - were he to be part of a jury, and were he to be of the mind that the evidence pointed to the defendant in the case being guilty - do you think he would be found to tell an unsure, fellow jurist that they were of the belief that the defendant was innocent when they pronounced that they did not feel the weight of the evidence was enough to conclude that the defendant was guilty?

Take your best, educated GUESS here Augustus. Hahahaha... oh man. Having you on the ropes has been so fun. Still waiting for that answer. I get this distinct feeling that one will not be forthcoming. Which is awesome. And if you reply? Still awesome! Ahh... I love win-wins, don't you?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That requires context and isn't always the case.
For example...............
Take the biblical flood. A biblical literalist would say it occurred as written.
The story as written however, makes certain testable predictions. Like:
1. a global geological flood layer (such an event would leave geological evidence)
2. a universal genetic bottleneck in ALL species which can be dated to roughly the same period as that flood layer.
Neither of these exist.
In this case, the absence of evidence would be evidence of absence.
If the flood occurred as written, this evidence should not be absent.

Of course what was perishable was destroyed with the Flood.
However, artifacts dating older than the Flood could survive.
The earth-wide Flood legends have a common thread of a few survivors in a Flood.

A Vestigial Mote

Ah... didn't see this before. Okay... now I feel the need to get an answer from you, Mr. Badger on the question I posed both @Augustus and @Windwalker (which neither have taken the time yet to answer) which is this:

If you were one of the jurors who wanted to deliver the "guilty" verdict, but there was one hold-out, who would make it a hung jury, would you insist with that person that they believed the defendant were innocent? Is that a statement you would make to them when their actual, personal pronouncement was that they "were not convinced by the courtroom argumentation and presentation of evidence" that the defendant was guilty? To be sure, this is a "yes" or "no" question. You can justify afterward, as you will, but please just answer "yes" or "no" to start. That is... if you dare answer at all.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Only when we expect evidence is this correct, as another poster illustrated with the lack of expected evidence of a global flood (a global watermark of sorts and genetic bottlenecking of all terrestrial species at the same time). On the other hand, many other things occur that do not leave evidence, absence of which doesn't help us decide on whether they occurred or not. If you want a statement you can consider correct, try, "The absence of expected evidence is evidence of absence."

No. It's a lack of faith in the existence of gods. To be clear what I mean by the word in this context, faith is unjustified belief - the literal definition, other definitions such as justified belief being or a system of beliefs like the Jewish faith derived from that meaning not being relevant here.

(Since I've removed this from it's context, I should point that this was snark, not his opinion)

Definitions are neither right nor wrong. They're the ideas we want to name. And if in the future, we find it helpful to organize our thinking differently, we can redefine the words accordingly. I do it frequently. One day I noticed that I had two words, unbelief and disbelief, and two meanings, agnosticism and gnosticism (not believing versus believing not), so rather than continue treating the words as synonyms and each ambiguous, why not just call lack of belief unbelief and believing that something was untrue disbelief. It made thinking more clear, but if I want to use these words this way when communicating, I have to specify my private definition.

And it doesn't matter if they object. If they want to converse and understand what I mean, all they need do is listen, and when they hear either of those words, assign it the definition I specified. People unwilling or unable to do that just aren't part of the discussion. They aren't engaging in dialectic, but rather, semantic inanities.

As I just posted, a definition can't be false. It can only be more or less useful than other definitions. Usefulness is determined by what type of thing one wants to consider. If it pleases you to call pre-linguistic children something other than atheists, fine. Let's call them zorks. Then the MECE formulation, which is now tripartite, that is, that everybody is either a zork, a theist, or an atheist. Nothing changes. Notice that agnostic doesn't appear in this formulation, either, although we probably wouldn't consider zorks to be agnostic until they were old enough to say that they were.

Things that actually exist are concrete in the sense that they manifest physically. If they don't, they can't be said to exist. Abstractions drawn from concrete objects and processes exist only in minds, as do abstractions drawn from nothing but imagination. Of the two, only the former has an objectively real referent.

No you weren't. That's your straw man. What you were told is that there are no experts on simple concepts readily accessible to any adolescent or older linguistic mind. You've been asked to support your claims and respond to their rebuttal, but you've done neither yet. Good faith disputation and dialectic require that when somebody tells you that your claim that there are experts on faith is unsupported, you support it.

When your collocutor says that faith is a simple concept and illustrates as much with what he calls a comprehensive overview of what faith is, and what it can do for and to one, that you either say that you agree or if you disagree, explain why, in this case, by producing some of these so-called experts and demonstrating what they add to the discussion that is useful, and that mans to anybody that understands it, not just believers, whose judgments about such things are typically subjected to a confirmation bias that finds value in all things religious even if they can't demonstrate why they think so. Instead, you ignored the invitation and come here misrepresenting what transpired.

That formulation doesn't work for the typical atheist, which might be why so many reject it. It doesn't work for me, because I answer neither yes or no to that question. I say that I do not know, which is what makes me agnostic.

Also, it doesn't include agnostic atheists, which are most of the people who self-identify as atheists. I don't believe in gods and don't practice any religion. If that isn't enough to be called an atheist, then the definition is useless to people like me, and we reject it for something that does represent how we organize these categories in our heads. I need a schema that allows for agnostic atheists, gnostic atheists, agnostic theists, and gnostic theists, so I envision a 2x2 Punnett square with a belief axis and a claim to knowledge axis.

If you'd like to participate in fruitful discussions with such people, you'll want to learn what they mean when they use these words.

Or, you can just argue with them about how you think (a euphemism for insist in this context) they ought to define words instead, which is what threads like this one generally degenerate into for that lack of effort to try to understand others

That's a more useful definition of the word than the one we inherited from theist lexicographers like Webster, who like the atheist or agnostic or theist formulation. As I explained, that just doesn't work for the majority of self-identifying atheists, who would be excluded from the atheist category if they don't also add, "And I know that there are no gods"

Yeah, I'm that, too - atheist and agnostic. To those who want impose their procrustean definitions onto unbelievers, the answer is no, that doesn't work for agnostic atheists.

Nope. Atheism isn't a claim about the world at all more than a statement of individual belief. Nothing need be proven by the atheist. If one doubts the theist's only claim - that he doesn't believe in gods - that's fine, but I assume that most atheists would feel no need to try to disabuse another of such a belief.

How much faith does it take to say that one doesn't believe in gods, vampires, or leprechauns? I'll be you say the same about two of these. Are you operating out of faith when you do, or do you have sound reasons for your opinion?

A global watermark involves the 'water' in the many world-wide Flood legends of a few survivors in a boat.

Biblical faith is Not credulity (blind faith) but 'confidence' in Scripture as Jesus had put his faith, his belief.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And would Bertrand Russel - were he to be part of a jury, and were he to be of the mind that the evidence pointed to the defendant in the case being guilty - do you think he would be found to tell an unsure, fellow jurist that they were of the belief that the defendant was innocent when they pronounced that they did not feel the weight of the evidence was enough to conclude that the defendant was guilty?
If that juror in question was undecided, then he is an agnostic not an atheist. :) If someone off the street who didn't even know what the trial was about was to be called a juror, then that's ridiculous. That is what is happening when an atheist claims people who don't even know what the question is, like young children, are atheists.

Take your best, educated GUESS here Augustus. Hahahaha... oh man. Having you on the ropes has been so fun. Still waiting for that answer. I get this distinct feeling that one will not be forthcoming. Which is awesome. And if you reply? Still awesome! Ahh... I love win-wins, don't you?
You flatter yourself. This argument of yours is easy to punch a hole into, as I just did. "Hahahaha"??

Still waiting for that answer. I get this distinct feeling that one will not be forthcoming. Which is awesome. And if you reply? Still awesome! Ahh... I love win-wins, don't you?

You really must be mighty pleased with yourself to be that eagerly awaiting my response. The victory laps and fist-pumps will help keep you fit though :fist:

Sorry to disappoint, was watching Scotland beat Moldova :soccerball:rather than quaking in intellectual fear from you repeating the same generic points you've been making all thread and that have been made in endless other threads on this subject.

Was going to reply a bit earlier, but you seemed to be enjoying congratulating yourself so much I thought it could wait.

Having you on the ropes has been so fun.

You acknowledged you held a belief regarding the existence of god, which was my point.

I think I'll recover from such a monumental drubbing.

Unfortunately, you are STILL to be found disregarding my actual position, and attempting to make light of the FACT that you have misrepresented myself often and at length throughout this entire thread. I get why you are trying to dodge scrutiny on this (your desperate "thumbs up" emoji is not lost on me), but no - you shall not get away so easily. You have repeatedly stated that you will only accept that the position to be entirely "There is no God" centered - and this is you mis-stating the position. In the end - there is just about nothing in this universe (save mathematical principles perhaps), that one could not boil down to being a "belief" - either in axioms or in the state of what is being witnessed/perceived, etc. but we aren't talking about that. We are talking about a very specific instance of belief, and what it is targeted at. The target isn't "God" - the target is the evidence. I don't believe there to be enough evidence to warrant convicting God of "existence." It's not that I "believe God does not exist." No... again - I am shelving the idea - not willing to believe it positively, or believe that it does not exist - WITHOUT FURTHER CONFIRMATION BY WAY OF EVIDENCE EITHER WAY. You keep acting and stating that this position is impossible to hold, or only boils down to "grammar" (what the hell is this supposed to be anyway? it is just entirely weird that you took this route when you found your flagship crashing into a huge island of rocks).

Motey boy, you disbelieve in the existence of god. I'm fine with that definition and explanation. The point is that that reflects a stance one takes, not the lack of one. Remember what the OP is.

Beyond that, for any given individual, stuff they don't think exists doesn't exist.

If you don't think god exists then...

No idea what this imaginary 'flagship' of yours is. Get some more fist-pumps in if you like though :fist:

Just answer this question (I know how little you like answering certain questions STRAIGHTLY, Augustus, so please try to stay on task here) - if you were one of the jurors who wanted to deliver the "guilty" verdict, but there was one hold-out, who would make it a hung jury, would you insist with that person that they believed the defendant were innocent? Is that a statement you would make to them when their actual, personal pronouncement was that they "were not convinced" that the defendant was guilty? To be sure, this is a "yes" or "no" question. In order to remain consistent with your abhorrent behavior in this thread, you must answer "yes." If you answer "no," then you admit to the plausibility of the exact scenario we self-professing atheists have been trying to get you to understand this entire time.

Remember... answer "yes" or "no" initially. After that, you can talk all the justification you want, I don't care. But a "yes" or "no" is what is being requested... if you have the balls. Seriously. If you have got the gumption, and are not afraid to do so, answer first "yes" or "no."

No. (see above for why it's irrelevant)

Seriously though, first the fist-pumps and now challenging someone to have "the balls" to answer a post containing an irrelevant example on an anonymous forum where people post for entertainment?

The long winter nights must just fly by with you around :D

A Vestigial Mote

If that juror in question was undecided, then he is an agnostic not an atheist. :) If someone off the street who didn't even know what the trial was about was to be called a juror, then that's ridiculous. That is what is happening when an atheist claims people who don't even know what the question is, like young children, are atheists.
note - you didn't actually answer my question! just for the record. as expected, honestly.

The word "agnostic" actually speaks to what I have been talking about - yes, the belief about the state of or ability to know. so, speaking to the claim of knowledge, I don't believe that anyone can literally claim to know anything about god/gods, or some supernatural realm, etc. but speaking to belief about those things specifically - i don't believe the claims. i remain unconvinced, based on the state of the evidence - just like the juror. it is isn't that I can't be convinced. so what can that be called?

and we still then, have the problem of the juror on our hands - because you have specifically been seen to state that the atheist/nonbeliever/whatever (note - you also wouldn't provide another word for me to use, and even as you and others have admitted that language and definitions are pretty fluid, based on current usages, you still went on to continue to suggest that those calling themselves by the term 'atheist' simply must necessarily take a stance on the belief. either that they believe that god exists, or that they believe god does not exist.

so... back to the juror - because they don't claim they can know, you 'give them a free pass' from making a claim one way or the other, even though they have been informed of the situation? why is this? we have spoken to their knowledge... but now we must speak to their belief on the proposition 'the defendant is guilty.' as noted, this is a different matter than whether or not this person feels they can know, and your position (at least as far as i have seen you arguing so far) is that the person, upon being informed simply must take a positive belief position one way or the other!

You flatter yourself. This argument of yours is easy to punch a hole into, as I just did. "Hahahaha"??
you didn't "punch a hole" in anything... as i just described above. care to actually answer my question? based on your stance presented in this thread, and speaking only to the belief of the dissenting juror (we've already established that they are agnostic), once they are informed that there is a choice to be made, must they then take a stance one way or the other with positive belief toward the guilt or innocence of the defendant? is this a requirement, lest they somehow be deemed intellectually remiss?

or is this a case where you believe that the atheist has already displayed that they have 'made up their mind' already - by calling themselves 'atheist?' is that it? which, in the juror's case would be like the juror stating: 'i have made my decision' and then when it comes time, they simply renege and state that they have not, and hang the jury. is that what you want to portray is going on here?

and again, with:
  1. your admission that 'language is fluid' and definitions can change
  2. personal pronouncements from atheists within this forum and elsewhere (i am sure) of what their position is
haven't you, personally, been seen to have literally been informing we nonbelievers (yeah, i get that you are some ridiculous form of 'nonbeliever' - i saw, and it isn't like that gets you any points with me) in the thread what it is we must necessarily believe if we are to call ourselves 'atheist.'?

and lastly - again - in the end, i don't believe the theist. i don't believe their claim because the evidence is poor. so thin that i wouldn't even trust it with the weight of a feather if it were made of iron from my perspective. i don't believe them, don't believe that they can know, and i do not argue the position that 'god does not exist.' again - whatever you want to call that, that's what i am. all your talk trying to tell me what it is i must believe is bunk, and you look foolish, and you can't seem to get past your own hang-ups of some kind about the word being co-opted by the people who actually want to use it in a constructive manner - to describe themselves. that sort of thing happens all the time - and you are here, trying to be the instrument of anti-change. that's you. stuck in the past... holding on to some fond memory of how your mother used to tell you stories of noah's ark or something. it is you who need to get over themselves. you who flatter yourself. you think your opinion matters enough to be able to inform me what i believe.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

You acknowledged you held a belief regarding the existence of god, which was my point.
This is a blatant lie.

I acknowledged that I hold a belief about the state of the evidence for the proposition "God exists." Can you simply not understand this? Man... it's like talking to a child.

Motey boy, you disbelieve in the existence of god. I'm fine with that definition and explanation. The point is that that reflects a stance one takes, not the lack of one. Remember what the OP is.
What does a person who has never been presented with the proposition or idea of God do then? Don't they also "disbelieve in the existence of god"?

Beyond that, for any given individual, stuff they don't think exists doesn't exist.
Talk about dribble. So if I don't think gravity exists, it doesn't exist? You just said "stuff" - please clarify if you actually meant to make a point of any substance or use whatsoever.

No. (see above for why it's irrelevant)
You still didn't answer. I knew it. I just knew it. Damn.

And it is NOT irrelevant. You are trying to tell me what it is my position is, just like you would be were you to insist that a juror must take a stance on the guilt or innocence of a given defendant. And if all it is is that, if the juror says "I don't know" (an agnostic stance toward the proposition) then they get a free pass, then what happens if juror states it as "I don't believe there is enough evidence for a verdict of guilty."? What happens then? Shouldn't you jump down their throat like you have mine?

And in the end... YOU are the one who wanted to state that you are fine with the understanding that the definitions of words change. And yet, here you are, trying your damnedest to be an instrument against just such a sort of change. You're a relic, apparently, who can't face something he fears for whatever reason.

And you still never answer my other question - what word or term would you use for a person who does not believe either proposition (either 'God exists' or 'God does not exist') awaiting further/better information or evidence? I will continue to call that position "atheism" - no matter how hard you rail against it. Do you understand?

Clearly atheism is not a belief, one has only to look it up in any dictionary to see this. So lets see if anyone wants to misrepresent it as a belief in this poll.

What would an atheist answer to question: do you believe God does not exist? (Yes or no)

lukethethird

unknown member
Am I? Have I said that, or are you just telling me I am while I don't consider myself one? Why do you assume I identify myself as such? Because I call out atheists who erroneously deny that atheism is a belief? That makes me a theist in your mind? You're either one or the other mentality at play here?

Aren't there other options than just those two?

I would never refer to God as "out there". I am not a traditional theist which believe the Divine is external to creation. Here's what traditional theism says: Platonism and Theism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Traditional Theism understands God to be the creative source for his own existence, as well as for the existence of all reality existing outside of himself.
I do not believe there is any "outside" to the Divine. I am a nondualist, not a dualist.

You are arguing for the point I am making! Atheism is a response to theism. Atheism is the flipside of the theist coin. And to your point, you are correct! If theism did not exist, neither would atheism! :) You agree with me. Atheism is a belief about the existence of God.

BTW, why is it you don't feel free to share your views? I am merely puzzled why you list your religion as Christian, yet speak as if you are an atheist? I'm fine with that. I personally know Christians who don't believe in God and consider themselves atheists. I think that shows a lot of faith and courage to say that, to challenge the status quo.

I'll make you a deal. You explain your views to me, and I'll explain my views to you? Okay?
If you believe that belief is the same as lack of belief because the subject matter is the same then go ahead and knock yourself out.

This is a blatant lie.

I acknowledged that I hold a belief about the state of the evidence for the proposition "God exists." Can you simply not understand this? Man... it's like talking to a child.

:rolleyes:

I believe that there is not enough evidence to find God in the position of "existence."

Regardless of all the tortuous uses of the English language and the mental gymnastics necessary to maintain your illusion that you do not hold a belief in regard to the existence of god, that is exactly what you are expressing.

You consciously do not "put god in the position of existence" due to insufficient evidence. This is obviously not the absence of a position regarding god's existence. You disbelieve in god.

This reflects at least one belief regarding gods existence.

I simply don't care any more though.

I will continue to call that position "atheism" - no matter how hard you rail against it. Do you understand?

This is by far the most ludicrously pretentious statement I've ever seen here :D Knock yourself out, champ!

Bird123

Clearly atheism is not a belief, one has only to look it up in any dictionary to see this. So lets see if anyone wants to misrepresent it as a belief in this poll.

I think you are merely using a play on words. If you do not believe God exists, isn't it the very same as believing God doesn't exist? Until you have facts to value, you are dealing with beliefs no matter how you word it.

Now, if you are merely telling someone I don't believe you, then the Truth is something you do not care about. From what I have seen, Atheists do care about their belief that God does not exist. If they didn't, they would never say anything.

Like I said. It's all tap dancing and a play on words in an attempt to make others think you are at a higher level than valuing beliefs which you are not.

Do not attempt to hide the fact that you are dealing with beliefs just like all those religious folks.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

lukethethird

unknown member
What would an atheist answer to question: do you believe God does not exist? (Yes or no)
How much faith is required to believe that there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow vs not believing such a thing? I would say there is a vast difference in the faith required., same goes for a belief in god vs a non-belief.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism Lack of belief in god or gods.
Weak atheism Lack of belief in god or gods.
Soft atheism Lack of belief in god or gods.
Agnostic atheism Lack of belief in god or gods + belief that the existence of god is unknowable.
Implicit atheism. Lack of belief in god or gods without a conscious rejection.
Explicit atheism. Conscious rejection of god or affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Strong atheism. Conscious rejection of god or affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Hard atheism. Conscious rejection of god or affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Agnosticism. Belief that the existence of god is unknowable.
Negative atheism. Lack of belief in god or gods.
Positive atheism. Explicit affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Axiological atheism. Lack of belief in god or gods, with or without conscious rejection + an apotheosis of mankind as the measure of all things.
Constructive atheism Lack of belief in god or gods, with or without conscious rejection + an apotheosis of mankind as the measure of all things.
Existential atheism. Rejection of, or indifference to, religion, metaphysics or magical thinking in Philosophy.

Everything clear now? :rolleyes:
There are a lot of synonymous definitions, a lot of set inclusion and almost universal set overlap.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you believe that belief is the same as lack of belief because the subject matter is the same then go ahead and knock yourself out.
I believe that disbelief is belief in the negative. A lack of belief in God, shows knowledge of the question of God, and that lack of belief in that context is the same as disbelief. It is not just ignorance we are talking about. It is active, not passive.

Now, in the case of every atheist on this site, not one of them is ignorant of the concept of God, so all atheists here are actively believing that God is not real. Hence, atheism is a belief.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism Lack of belief in god or gods.
Weak atheism Lack of belief in god or gods.
Soft atheism Lack of belief in god or gods.
Agnostic atheism Lack of belief in god or gods + belief that the existence of god is unknowable.
Implicit atheism. Lack of belief in god or gods without a conscious rejection.
Explicit atheism. Conscious rejection of god or affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Strong atheism. Conscious rejection of god or affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Hard atheism. Conscious rejection of god or affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Agnosticism. Belief that the existence of god is unknowable.
Negative atheism. Lack of belief in god or gods.
Positive atheism. Explicit affirmation that a god or gods don't exist.
Axiological atheism. Lack of belief in god or gods, with or without conscious rejection + an apotheosis of mankind as the measure of all things.
Constructive atheism Lack of belief in god or gods, with or without conscious rejection + an apotheosis of mankind as the measure of all things.
Existential atheism. Rejection of, or indifference to, religion, metaphysics or magical thinking in Philosophy.

Everything clear now? :rolleyes:
There are a lot of synonymous definitions, a lot of set inclusion and almost universal set overlap.
Not one of these applies to children, FYI.

BTW, what is the source of this list? Who created it? Do they think cows are atheists too? ;)

Let me ask you this question: Do you think all non-Christians should be considered as unsaved infideles? Do non-Christians consider themselves that, or is it only Christians that see them that way?

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that disbelief is belief in the negative. A lack of belief in God, shows knowledge of the question of God, and that lack of belief in that context is the same as disbelief. It is not just ignorance we are talking about. It is active, not passive.

Now, in the case of every atheist on this site, not one of them is ignorant of the concept of God, so all atheists here are actively believing that God is not real. Hence, atheism is a belief.
How would you characterize the 'innocents', never exposed to theistic ideas?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So what? I am a member there. That is only their definition of being a Christian. They are nowhere near the middle when it comes to Christianity. They are mostly a group of extremists.
Christianforums.com even has a room for Catholics. They are very broad in whom they accept as Christian. But they use the Nicene Creed as teh defining points of Chrsitian belief.

RestlessSoul

This we may call symmetry of inference; a negative, being an inversion of it’s positive, is identical in many ways, differing only in interpretation. The distinction, in other words, may be said to result not from the nature of the phenomena, but rather from the perspective of the observer.

Think of distinctions like those between up and down, or forward and backward, to a body in space. Now imagine a person in Australia talking on a video call to her English cousin. To illustrate a point, the Australian points above her head; now, which way is up?

lukethethird

unknown member

You want atheism to be a belief because you want theism to be equally valid and reasonable when it is not.

Last edited: