• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief, so why would anyone lie that it is?

Do you accept atheism is not a belief, or do you lie it is?

• Total voters

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I'm not a self-proclaimed theist. I don't exclude theism, nor do I exclude atheism.

If you can comprehend the sentence 'gods exist', you hold a belief regarding it.

:rolleyes:

Whether I can comprehend a god claim depends on how accurately a theists can describe and explain the concept. Some theists are fond of making vapid platitudes up that are meaningless, god is love, god is energy, god is the universe, god is everything etc etc etc...this tells me precisely nothing.

If a claim is unfalsifiable, which god claims are when offered in their broadest sense with no data or objective evidence to examine, then I must be an agnostic about those claims, I would also disbelieve them, and I lack belief in all deities unless they can be supported by objective evidence, so I am an agnostic and an atheist.

I do not hold a belief no deity exists, as this is an epistemological position I cannot justify, any more than I can justify a claim to believe invisible unicorns don't exist, but i disbelieve both claims are true.

So if someone insists atheism is a belief it excludes me from that, even though I am an atheist, which is nonsensical.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Or in other words, you disbelieve in the existence of gods which is how many dictionaries describe atheism. This would be slightly less linguistically awkward and, as an added bonus, would mean you didn't need to 'quadruple facepalm' your own error in comprehension ;)
A disbelief is not a belief.

One needs to positively believe something for it to be a belief.
Not believing something is the opposite of that.

And round and round the merry goes.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Whether I can comprehend a god claim depends on how accurately a theists can describe and explain the concept. Some theists are fond of making vapid platitudes up that are meaningless, god is love, god is energy, god is the universe, god is everything etc etc etc...this tells me precisely nothing.

If a claim is unfalsifiable, which god claims are when offered in their broadest sense with no data or objective evidence to examine, then I must be an agnostic about those claims, I would also disbelieve them, and I lack belief in all deities unless they can be supported by objective evidence, so I am an agnostic and an atheist.

I do not hold a belief no deity exists, as this is an epistemological position I cannot justify, any more than I can justify a claim to believe invisible unicorns don't exist, but i disbelieve both claims are true.

So if someone insists atheism is a belief it excludes me from that, even though I am an atheist, which is nonsensical.

I think that the need for theists to believe that atheists have a similar belief, an irrational belief that God does not exist is a matter of projection. They may realize that their beliefs are irrational. It is a version of a Tu Quoque fallacy of "I know that I do it but so do you". But we don't. Give us evidence and we will believe. I don't know how many times I have seen theists claim that no matter how much evidence is presented to the contrary that they will not drop their beliefs. Their main opposition to atheism is that we insist on being rational.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
From what I have seen, Atheists do care about their belief that God does not exist. If they didn't, they would never say anything.
Bingo. Would a child who simply "lacks belief", or rather is just ignorant of the concept of God and the question itself, self-identify as an atheist? Of course not. The second you do that, you are proclaiming you believe God doesn't exist, and wear it as a self-identification. 'I am an atheist" is not neutral. It's not the mere absence of belief.

To even prove that point, look on this site itself. Under "Religion" many members put Atheist. And they say it's not a religion? Why put as your Religion then? :) (I somewhat jest)

Like I said. It's all tap dancing and a play on words in an attempt to make others think you are at a higher level than valuing beliefs which you are not.

Do not attempt to hide the fact that you are dealing with beliefs just like all those religious folks.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!
Exactly. And that is my complaint. It's intellectually dishonest. It lacks courage to stand behind one's chosen belief. I don't get it. All the rest is just rationalizations, like cherry-picking the Bible, mangling verses and twisting words to justify your beliefs.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Given your vocal complaints in this thread, it's quite ironic that you are now claiming to better understand what Bertrand Russell though than Bertrand Russell himself

I made no such claim, but you seem to want to use sophistry to misrepresent what I've said to avoid addressing what I actually said.

As I said, those who cry fallacy loudest and most frequently are the least competent at using them correctly.

Again you seem content to ignore what was said, and play the man not the ball, now what is that called again? :rolleyes: The irony of you resorting to a known logical fallacy there is manifest.

Russell's teapot is an analogy, formulated by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making empirically unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others.

Hmm, so if I make a claim a deity doesn't exist that would carry a burden of proof, which I cannot meet as in its broadest sense the assertion a deity exists is unfalsifiable.

Thus I must be an agnostic (at least in that context) and since I lack belief that any deity or deities exist, I am by definition an atheist. Thus atheism and agnosticism (though different) are not mutually exclusive. Atheism is not a belief, though an atheist can hold a belief no deity exists, I however do not.

How hard is that to understand?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism isn’t a belief. It is a worldview.

Maybe you have a different understanding of what a worldview is than I do. I call myself an atheist, but secular humanism is my worldview. Some atheists' worldviews were Stalinism. If you believe that the stars rule the world or can read to predict the future rather than a god doing that, I'd call you an atheist, but call your worldview astrology.

My worldview encompasses a metaphysics, an epistemology, and an ethical system, all different from a Christian worldview, for example. We don't have a god in our metaphysics. so divine revelation, miracles, a supernatural realm and answered prayer aren't expected. We don't value faith as a path to truth about the world, just empiricism. And we don't believe in an absolute moral truth or received ethics. Secular humanists use rational ethics, the process of applying reason to empathy to determine the best way for ourselves to behave to embody reciprocal empathy, and the best way to structure society to promote freedom, economic opportunity, and social opportunity for the greatest number so that they may pursue happiness as they understand it.

Obviously, none of that describes other atheists like Stalinists except the metaphysics, which of course is why it is so disingenuous to conflate secular humanists with Stalinists by announcing how many people atheistic authoritarian regimes have murdered in an effort to tarnish all atheists. We don't share their world view. just their metaphysics. If atheism were a worldview, wouldn't all atheists have the same worldview?

Christianity is a worldview, but theism isn't, just as secular humanism is a worldview, but atheism isn't. What do you think?

Now, I am not saying there isn't anyone just saying I don't believe and moving on, however I see that number as very very few.

Those skeptics aren't on RF, and they haven't "moved on." They're just not interested in discussing ideas with theists in a discussion board, or they are unaware that they exist.

Here, you will find the skeptics that like to discuss ideas, including faith, which is what skeptics reject for themselves, and not just faith in gods, but all faith, including climate deniers, election hoax believers, and vaccine-refusers - all doing severe damage to them and the people around them.

You'll see these same skeptics who reject theistic faith rejecting faith in all of those areas as well, because it really isn't about religion or believing, but believing by faith, that is, without sufficient evidentiary support.

Critical thinkers are skilled at evaluating evidence and argument, and enjoy practicing. They like to deconstruct fallacious arguments and identify the fallacies present by name. They like to invoke Hitchens' razor when others make unsupported claims. It's like going to the reason driving range and hitting a bucket of balls, or going to the gym, except mental rather than physical.

It seems like it's a very small minority of theists that can accurately describe how an atheist defines himself, or why he is here and what he hopes to accomplish. I would add that not only do I enjoy identifying the fallacies, but also enjoy practicing writing skills and composing cogent arguments.

It's also where I get a broad survey of the different kinds of atheists and theists, which is an indirect indicator of whether I've made the right decision choosing secular humanism. I see other critical thinkers and note that we all process information roughly the same way and come to similar sound conclusions. I see their ethics and character. I see their demeanor and values. And I use that as the control group for evaluating all theism and its effect on its adherents to determine the value or problem with religion of various types. And in my case, it serves as evidentiary support for my antitheism, or the belief that the net effect of religion upon people is harmful (some is benign, but I haven't seen a religion yet generate better people than secular humanism, and a lot generate horrible people). Isn't that worth having conversations with theists while reviewing the words of other secular humanists? Converting Christians or attacking their theology is of no interest to me and no benefit to anybody.

As I said, if it was only "I don't believe you" they would not fight so hard to convince others their belief that God does not exist was true.

I don't see any atheists fighting at all to convince others that gods don't exist. I think most are like me. I don't care what others believe if it doesn't bleed into my life. If my neighbor believes that dancing around a tree at midnight under a full moon while shaking a stick with a chicken claw nailed to it at the sky in order to center himself and give his life meaning, why would I care, or want to take that away from him - unless he was doing it too loudly, and event then, I wouldn't get into his beliefs with him, just his noisiness.

Most critical thinkers have learned that there is no way to convince a faith-based thinker that anything he believes by faith is incorrect, and that trying is futile. The critical thinker has nothing to offer but evidence and reason, and if one didn't come to his present position using those, he can't be budged by them, either. Sam Harris expressed the sentiment well:
  • "If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic? Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says, "Well, that's not how I choose to think about water"? All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn't share those values, the conversation is over."
Yours is a popular misconception. You see skeptics on RF as being here to attack religion or convert people to atheism. Neither of those appeal to me, as I've indicated.

What am I doing now? I've discussed what a worldview is with one poster, and here I'm disagreeing with your assessment of what atheists believe and what does and what doesn't motive them in a forum like this. And if you think about it, I'm generally not posting to the theists, even though those posts appear in the format of a reply to a theist's comments. The post to @SalixIncendium was for him. I do expect that he can read those words dispassionately and open-mindedly, and willing to be convinced by a compelling argument.

I don't expect that with most believers. I don't expect responsive answers or answers to questions asked. Those just aren't their values or skills. I asked you, " Can't you imagine a third position that some people might take that is neither of these? Multiple atheists have articulated that third position in this thread alone," and you didn't reply. That's what I expect.

I also wrote, "But you don't understand what is being said, rendering your judgment of the quality of the claim irrelevant. You need to evaluate what is actually being said to be able to decide that it is tap dancing, not what you've changed it into." Did you even see that? If so, did you understand it? If so, did you find it unworthy of a response? Who knows, but it's par for the course in these "discussions."

Why do you suppose I wrote this post?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Bingo. Would a child who simply "lacks belief", or rather is just ignorant of the concept of God and the question itself, self-identify as an atheist?

It doesn't matter if a person "self identifies" or is even aware of the subject matter.

A creationist is also a primate, a mammal, an eukaryote, a vertebrate, an animal because he is a human and a human is all those things. It matters not what the creationist actually believes.

An atheist is a person who doesn't positively believe gods exist.
That's it. Whether that person is aware of god claims or not.

Obviously, if one isn't aware of god claims, or god concepts, then one is not positively believing such things exist. Meaning that that person is an atheist.

Obviously also, in a world where NOBODY is aware of god claims or god concepts, the word "atheist" is meaningless. And the primary reason for that, is because theists wouldn't exist.

In the same way, in a world where symmetry doesn't exist, the term "asymmetry" would be equally meaningless.

The second you do that, you are proclaiming you believe God doesn't exist,

No.

'I am an atheist" is not neutral. It's not the mere absence of belief.

Except that it is. It is the only thing that is true for ALL atheists.
Yes, there are atheists who claim / believe there are no gods at all. Not all atheists do.
Agnostic atheists, like most atheists engaging in this thread, certainly don't. As they have been repeating ad nauseum.

To even prove that point, look on this site itself. Under "Religion" many members put Atheist. And they say it's not a religion? Why put as your Religion then? :) (I somewhat jest)

Exactly. And that is my complaint. It's intellectually dishonest

What's intellectually dishonest, is pretending that rejecting claim X is synonymous with accepting the opposite of X.

It isn't. As soooo many people in this thread, and others, have been trying to explain.

It lacks courage to stand behind one's chosen belief.

Much like it is a "lack of courage" to say that one's hobby is NOT collecting stamps.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
It doesn't matter if a person "self identifies" or is even aware of the subject matter.

A creationist is also a primate, a mammal, an eukaryote, a vertebrate, an animal because he is a human and a human is all those things. It matters not what the creationist actually believes.

An atheist is a person who doesn't positively believe gods exist.
That's it. Whether that person is aware of god claims or not.

Obviously, if one isn't aware of god claims, or god concepts, then one is not positively believing such things exist. Meaning that that person is an atheist.

Obviously also, in a world where NOBODY is aware of god claims or god concepts, the word "atheist" is meaningless. And the primary reason for that, is because theists wouldn't exist.

No.

Except that it is. It is the only thing that is true for ALL atheists.
Yes, there are atheists who claim / believe there are no gods at all. Not all atheists do.
Agnostic atheists, like most atheists engaging in this thread, certainly don't. As they have been repeating ad nauseum.

What's intellectually dishonest, is pretending that rejecting claim X is synonymous with accepting the opposite of X.

It isn't. As soooo many people in this thread, and others, have been trying to explain.

Much like it is a "lack of courage" to say that one's hobby is NOT collecting stamps.

I think some posters are trying to deliberately bait us here, but it won't work. Atheism is not a belief, if it were defined in only that way it would exclude many atheists, and this thread has shown that many atheists don't define their atheism that way, and many of the largest and most well used dictionaries reflect that common usage. OED Meriam Webster's Google, even Wiktionary which defines atheism in its broadest sense as the lack or absence of belief in any deity or deities.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some theists are fond of making vapid platitudes up that are meaningless, god is love, god is energy, god is the universe, god is everything etc etc etc...this tells me precisely nothing.
Yes, poetic expressions, metaphors are meaningless, telling someone precisely nothing. Got it. ;)

BTW, I very much understand what all of those metaphors are pointing to. I agree with each of them. It's the experience of Life, beyond trying to dissect it with a scalpel. If you splay a frog out on the dissection table, is a frog anymore? How would you answer that?

PureX

Veteran Member
Exactly. And that is my complaint. It's intellectually dishonest. It lacks courage to stand behind one's chosen belief. I don't get it. All the rest is just rationalizations, like cherry-picking the Bible, mangling verses and twisting words to justify your beliefs.
That's the really weird thing about atheism. Ultimately it's just pointless negation. "I think nothing, I believe nothing, I claim nothing, but if you do ... YOU'RE WRONG!" :)

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For once I'm inclined to agree with you.
Great we agree then that neither you nor I get why some atheists (not all mind you) are intellectually dishonest and lack courage to acknowledge their beliefs are actually beliefs. Then are you finally conceding here? :)

Note: even your poll is dishonestly worded... so the rest seems to have been following in that vein, twisting dictionary definitions to suit your beliefs, like a good apologist does with scriptures. Happy you are acknowledging it that now.

Such a poor argument. No definition is written in stone. And the meaning of "atheism" has changed over the years. Also the way that atheists, those that one should turn to for the best definition, has changed over the years. One person alone cannot define a term. That may be Bertrand Russell's definition. It does not hold or apply to all atheists. Other atheists have used the "lack of belief" definition for over a hundred years.

I'm going to do you the courtesy of assuming you didn't actually read the whole conversation and that is why you have missed the point so completely :D

The discussion was about what BR meant in one specific context in 1953, not how people should use language today. I repeatedly acknowledged he was using older definitions that people may not use today.

But the definitions BR uses are important in interpreting what BR was discussing at that time, which was the point.

disbelieve
verb

1. be unable to believe.
That doesn't support your position about it being a choice, and I cannot choose whether to believe or not believe any claim that is unfalsifiable or for which no objective efference can be demonstrated. I may have made other choices that lead me to the sceptical critical thinking, but that's not the same as "choosing to disbelieve something" because it can't be objectively evidenced.

We are now going to quibble every word in the dictionary apparently :D

Are you happy enough with this definition of belief?

Most contemporary philosophers characterize belief as a “propositional attitude”. Propositions are generally taken to be whatever it is that sentences express... A propositional attitude, then, is the mental state of having some attitude, stance, take, or opinion about a proposition or about the potential state of affairs in which that proposition is true

Belief (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because if they don't teach those things they aren't christian churches.

Try going to ChristianForums.com. You will find that there are definite belief requirements for who can identify as Chrsitian, beginning with a belief in God.
I once worked with an Evangelical Christian who insisted that Catholics aren't Christian.

It's almost a prerequisite for being Christian that some other group of Christians will call you "not Christian."

A disbelief is not a belief.

One needs to positively believe something for it to be a belief.
Not believing something is the opposite of that.

And round and round the merry goes.

Others disagree with you.

Most contemporary philosophers characterize belief as a “propositional attitude”. Propositions are generally taken to be whatever it is that sentences express... A propositional attitude, then, is the mental state of having some attitude, stance, take, or opinion about a proposition or about the potential state of affairs in which that proposition is true

Belief (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Are you saying that definition should be considered 'wrong'?