• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief, so why would anyone lie that it is?

Do you accept atheism is not a belief, or do you lie it is?

• Total voters

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I have no stories of God or any 'supernatural' feats for you to disparage with your lack of "evidence".
You seem to take these discussions and ideas as personal attacks quite often. This isn't about you. No one cares what you believe or don't believe.

Show one post where any asupernaturalist disparaged your beliefs. Show one post where anyone at all claimed you were "wrong" about what you believe. Do you ever look in the mirror?

The only one issuing personal attacks seems to be you and your disparaging of people who need verifiable evidence in order to believe the claims of unverifiable, supernatural imaginings of others who believe their imaginations are reality.

Don't take it so personally.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I have no stories of God or any 'supernatural' feats for you to disparage with your lack of "evidence". I am a philosophical Taoist/Christian. Not a religious one.

Can you demsonrate anything approaching objective evidence for whatever you believe? Or accurately define the deity or deities you believe exist?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Firstly communism is an economic ideology, it thus need not necessarily be incompatible with democracy.
That's how I see atheism as well (sans economics). Likewise, I don't see atheism as incompatible with theism either. Only those within the systems themselves as believers in them think they are incompatible.

Secondly the claim a baby is an atheist is predicated on the fact it can't hold beliefs, not on your assumption that it holds a contrary belief, so your analogy is erroneous and smacks of sophistry.
Do you believe small children are capable of abstract thought, and are able to make choices of belief? For instance, at what age is a child capable of truly being said that they can believe in God? Three years old? Can you answer that?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Does it have to be a reason for a personal belief? Do I have to prove that what I personally believe is true for others?
Absolutely not. However, you are the one that stated you believe in God but not Santa. The natural next step in a conversation would be for me to ask you why you thought that. Otherwise, why mention it at all? I assumed you were interested in explaining why you think God is real. No problem at all.

People are free to believe their many different supernatural beliefs. I understand perfectly why people enjoy, need, find comfort and direction in their various beliefs. Nothing wrong with that as long as it harms no one else or negatively affects the rest of humanity. There is nothing to prove because none of those beliefs are provable so it would be silly to attempt to prove them.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
this underscores what I said about treating dictionaries as if they were Holy Scripture.

Yeah, that's just a straw man fallacy you created though, as I haven't seen one single poster do this.

I'm posting to the one right now who has been doing this.

Could quote a post where he claimed this please? Also if he is the only one, it's something of a non issue here, since most atheists are not doing this.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Disbelief
noun
  1. inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real.
It is axiomatically true that a baby is unable to accept a concept they don't have the cognitive ability to understand.
Neither does a turnip, but would you call that an atheist? Seriously, this definition only applies to those who are capable cognitively of belief or disbelief. It cannot be used to apply to those who are not, like sea slugs, or melons, or little infants whose brains have not yet developed the capacity for higher reason.

As I said, arguments like your are absurd. They only show desperation to validate your beliefs as if they were the default of evolution. This is absurd logic. It reeks of religiosity.

Again, here you are taking words from dictionaries as literally as a fundamentalist Christian does with his scriptures. Twisting and mangling and distorting the words to support nonsense.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Do I have to prove that what I personally believe is true for others?

Generally speaking no if it is a private belief, but if you assert those beliefs in a public debate forum then yes, that claim carries an epistemological burden of proof.

Let's say, I have had experiences that to me show that what we call God does exist, but to someone who has no faith or believe in a God would see it as something very natural and none spiritual at all.

I see it as an unevidenced claim, no different to any other claim asserted without any objective evidence.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And you understand the "typical atheist mind" more than I do, how?

I don't know how that happened. But if you think that atheists who consider unbelief not a belief liars refusing to own their deceit, then you are unaware of how most of us think. If you were to say anything that the typical atheist doesn't believe, such as that we all also secretly believe in gods but won't "own it," I'd come to the same conclusion about you - this guy doesn't know what atheists believe, despite claiming to have once been one.

I believe if someone is uncomfortable about something, like having an allergy to the word "belief" because it sounds too much like religion, cognitive dissonance kicks in.

You're projecting. No critical thinker has an allergy to any word. It's just not how they roll. They reject faith. They reject fallacy. But if you want to couch that in the language allergy and cognitive dissonance, then once again, I would say that you don't understand atheists.

One of the reasons I quit self-identifying as an atheist, is for a lot of the same reasons I quit self-identifying as Christian. It was too much about believing they had the real truth, and everyone else was wrong, without a lot of self-awareness about the subjectivity of their beliefs.

Then you were doing it wrong. I don't have that problem.

And yes, everybody who believes by faith is making a logical error. There is no place for faith in logic, just reason. If you believe gods exist, you have jumped to an unsupported conclusion. If you believe that climate change is a hoax despite the evidence to the contrary, you are indulging in faith again, and you are wrong again. If you think the American presidential election was stolen despite the evidence to the contrary, you are indulging in faith again, and you are wrong again. If you think that the coronavirus is more dangerous than the vaccine despite the evidence to the contrary, you are indulging in faith again, and you are wrong again. If you think that the earth is flat despite the evidence to the contrary, you are indulging in faith again, and you are wrong again. Need I go on?

Yeah, they're all wrong.

Claiming that we condemn atheists, or that we don't understand atheism, while we call ourselves atheists, or did in the past, is pretty insulting.

That's on you. Rebut the point if you can rather than pout. Leave your emotions at the door if you can.

I've pointed out a few places where you don't seem to understand what atheists are saying. Did I offend you? Apparently. Sorry, but you'll have to deal with that yourself. It's your choice to be offended, and not the responsibility of others to protect you from being offended by simple declarative sentences.

Perhaps you are offended again now for being told that your feeling are your responsibility. If so, you are going off in the wrong direction. You might be better served to consider the words dispassionately and try to see if there is any truth to them, and if so, how you can better yourself by considering them. Here's your chance to say, "He's right. I have a say in how I respond, and being insulted is never constructive. Let me quash that response by failing to indulge it. When I first feel insulted, rather than basking in that, I'll change the subject in my mind. I'll cease indulging the insult meme." With time, habits that are not indulged wane, like a smoking habit, whereas those that are embraced with open arms and nurtured repeat whenever they can. Your choice.

I can't relate at all. I can't imagine being insulted by any opinion of yours. Do you want to claim that I don't understand theism? Wouldn't you be surprised if I bristled at that? "How dare you accuse me of that? I'm offended. You insulted me." Really? It'll never happen. Why would I entrain my emotions to your words if I don't have to, if I have a say in it? How does that serve me?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Neither does a turnip, but would you call that an atheist?

Now you're moving the goalposts, as you know this was a response to the theistic assertion that humans are innately spiritual.

Seriously, this definition only applies to those who are capable cognitively of belief or disbelief.

Which definition? Someone who lived their life ignorant of the concept of any deity would be by definition an atheist. The human propensity for superstition notwithstanding of course.

It cannot be used to apply to those who are not, like sea slugs, or melons, or little infants whose brains have not yet developed the capacity for higher reason.

Well it certainly can, but as long as one acknowledges beyond challenging the idea we are born with an innate belief in the "spiritual" which was the claim that sparked this exchange, it doesn't tell us a great deal.

As I said, arguments like your are absurd. They only show desperation to validate your beliefs as if they were the default of evolution. This is absurd logic. It reeks of religiosity.

Arguments? You will have to be more specific if you want debate, rather than point scoring. As for absurd arguments labelling my lack of belief a belief is the best example I can imagine, as is the asinine idea atheism per se is a religion. If anything smacks of desperation, then it is that sort of asinine claim, or the desperate histrionics of anyone asserting they know better than I do what I do or do not believe or what I think.

I am an agnostic and an atheist, and my lack of belief or disbelief in any deity or deities is not a belief, nor a worldview, nor a religion.

Again, here you are taking words from dictionaries as literally as a fundamentalist Christian does with his scriptures.

That's not true, I have been very careful to explain when I am using words based on common usage. and why. Throughout this discourse I have reasoned that to define atheism in a way the excludes many atheists, like myself, is nonsensical. I have yet to see anyone address this in a rational calm fashion, as we see here.

Twisting and mangling and distorting the words to support nonsense.

You just accused me of the opposite in your pervious sentence, which is patently nonsensical. I am neither insisting word definitions are absolutes, have never done this in fact, nor am twisting anything. I note the accusation is presented in a generic way, without a singe quote or any fact to support it, that is not debate, it smacks of ad hominem. FYI you are the one whose posts are dealing in strident absolutes, not me. I'm not telling others what they think, or what they do or not believe.

Last edited:

stevecanuck

Yes, many people in Islam are making bad choices. Look at Christianity in the middle ages. I think they look close.

I wasn't referring to people. I was talking about the Qur'an - the book that exists for the sole purpose of defining Islam - that teaches hatred and demands fighting.

stevecanuck

To say that atheism is a separate belief is to suggest that it would exist on its own - even in the absence of theistic belief. That is absurd. How can you put an "a" in front of something that doesn't exist?

Imagine a world in which the concept of god(s) simply never existed. No churches, mosques, temples, popes, priests, prayer. None of it. Ever. Now imagine this conversation:

A: I'm an atheist.
B. What does that mean?
A: I don't believe there are any gods.
B: What? Any what's?
A: Gods. I don't think any exist.
B: What the frack is a god.
A: It's a supernatural being that has influence over our lives. One of them could even be so powerful that it created the universe.
B: Who the frack is making that claim?
A: Nobody.
B: I'm so confused. Why are you claiming disbelief in something that nobody claims exists?
A: Because it's like my religion.
B: Your what?
A: Religion.
B: What the frack is religion?
A: It's a belief in something for which no proof exists. I believe it just because I believe it.
B: Yeah, I'm going home now. Bye.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The, "so have you stopped beating your wife, yet" question? :) Yes, I saw that.
Interesting. So you think that my question had a trap no matter which way you answered it?

But as the antithetical to theism, atheism is a counter claim.
Atheism is the complement to theism, not a counter-claim.

As the claim is that theism is untrue unles and until it is proven true to the atheist's satisfaction.
No, the idea that an empirical claim shouldn't be accepted unless demonstrated is positivism. While atheists can be positivists, it's not necessary to be a positivist to be an atheist.

Atheists also love to tell us all ad nauseum about their "unbelief" when in fact they believe that theism is untrue unless and until it can be proven otherwise. Atheists seem to have a hard time being honest with themselves about their own position.
Again: you seem to be having real trouble understanding the difference between "atheism is not a claim" and "atheists make no claims."

An atheist arguing that some god does not exist does not mean that believing that this god doesn't exist is part of what makes them an atheist. Every single theist who I've talked about religion with online has known English and had internet access; this doesn't mean that knowing English or internet access are required to be a theist.

And I've seen many theists who have trouble distinguishing between claims about their religion and claims about their gods. If someone says "your scriptures are all false and your prophets are all frauds," for instance, they haven't actually expressed any opinion about the god(s) of the religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A Muslim calls a baby a Muslim, so it can be done too. I could call a baby a communist, because it does not believe in democracies yet either (nevermind it is incapable even knowing what those are yet). Anyone can claim that their chosen ideologies are the default position of the human species. But those claims are all equally absurd.

What you have done is certainly possible. But it doesn't make it rational or true. If you could find a baby who calls themself an atheist, then you might be able to impress me.

Personally, I don't believe any human under a certain age can be called either a believer or disbeliever in anything. They're just following programs, not really choosing. "My child of 5 is a Christian", or "My child of 5 is an atheist", is purely a projection of the parent, not a personalized view of the child themselves.
You're begging the question by assuming your definition.

There's no more issue with saying "my baby is an atheist" (i.e. someone who is not a theist) than there is with saying "my baby is a civilian (i.e. someone who isn't in the armed forces).

In any case, all I'm suggesting is that we apply the same standard when deciding whether a baby is an atheist that we do with adults. And we can infer from how the term "atheist" is actually used - including by you, I'd wager - that only a lack of belief in the existence of gods is needed to be an atheist.

PureX

Veteran Member
To say that atheism is a separate belief is to suggest that it would exist on its own - even in the absence of theistic belief. That is absurd.
No belief exists on it's own. They are all based on supporting beliefs. Atheism is the antithetical to theism. Theism asserts that because there is an objective reality (that we didn't/don't create or control) there must be some sort of 'power greater than ourselves' that did/does. The atheist asserts that unless and until this 'power' can be proven to exist by some means besides mere conjecture, then it should be presumed absent.

Playing word games doesn't change this. And nearly every self-proclaimed atheist in this site has already stated that they believe just as I've stated above.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's the really weird thing about atheism. Ultimately it's just pointless negation. "I think nothing, I believe nothing, I claim nothing, but if you do ... YOU'RE WRONG!"

Straw man. What an atheist says is that he doesn't believe in gods. This atheist thinks plenty, believes plenty, and claims plenty, but none of it is that there is a god. And if you believe in a god, then you're just guessing, since you don't have sufficient evidence to justify your belief. This is not the same as saying that you're wrong about gods.

They claim the theist is wrong unless and until he can prove to the atheist that he is right. And they make this claim loudly and repeatedly, ad nauseum. Yet, somehow, they can't seem to admit that they are doing so.

And another straw man. When you can accurately describe what atheists believe and do, they will agree with you. Why wouldn't they?

Exactly. "It's just the absence of belief. What? You believe in God? Where's your evidence???" That's a strange expression of a mere lack of belief there.

Another straw man. Who asks a theist for evidence after he says he believes in a god? Atheists know that theists don't have it. "Where's your evidence?" doesn't come up until the theist begins speaking as if there is a god, and should be understood as a rhetorical question when it does, that is, a statement written in the form of a question. The atheist's position is generally that there is no evidence for gods, and the request for it should be understood as a statement that the atheist is unwilling to believe in gods on faith alone.

Is your goal talking with theists to make you feel smarter than others when you can point to all those flaws?

No. I have a variety of goals posting on religious discussion boards, but that is not one of them. One is finding logical fallacies and naming them. It's an essential skill in critical thinking. Critical thinking requires fallacy-free reasoning if one is to arrive at sound conclusions.

I just identified the same fallacy in the three posts I quoted above. That wasn't really practicing, as that fallacy is easy to identify, and no further practice is needed. My purpose there was to correct errors. We've got a couple of posters who feel that it is appropriate to mischaracterize atheists and then ridicule their straw men. I like to point out when this happens. It negates the lie, and exposes the bad faith tactic for what it is.

Sure theists are set on their beliefs even though so many do not add up. Many do not hear you. On the other hand, do you hear them beyond the mere list of Beliefs. They are telling you more exists beyond this physical world whether they really have it figured out right or not.

I am not interested in what they believe, but in what they know and can convincingly demonstrate. I don't believe that they have access to any knowledge not also available to atheists, nor do they know anything about gods or reality not known to atheists.

Are you so sure of your ways that you never question them? Have you never been curious enough to take a journey or any effort to Discover whether there is something beyond this physical world, a God, or anything?

I'm continually reviewing my habits of thought and deed. It's an essential in self-actualization. One decides what he wants to be, and makes it happen if possible. That requires being as objective about oneself as possible, and doing so often.

Belief is not a bad thing.

False beliefs are undesirable. They cause us to make mistakes if we act on them. For those to whom this matters, there is a method to minimize the number of false beliefs one holds. Require compelling evidence that something is the case before admitting into one's mental map as a fact.

Is religion really all bad? I have seen religious people doing great acts of kindness for others.

There is nothing of value accomplished by religions that can't be done as well or better without it. We're frequently told about the church generating universities, hospitals, and food lines, but secular governments do it better. We're told how they make people better people, but I don't see that. I have no religious friends. Some may believe in a god, but they don't go to church, read Bibles, pray, or talk about religion. Yet just about everybody I know makes charitable contributions of both time and money. These are kind, decent, giving people, and religion wasn't necessary.

The religious are more likely to give their time and money to the church. I'd rather they do like the rest of us do.

Religion is a catalyst that brings so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be dealt with.

Religion doesn't actually deal with any problems. It talks about some, and creates others.

In the case of Christianity, it's pretty clear that they neither understand nor respect human beings, and create a ton of problems because of it. They tell people to not be gay. Not helpful. Generates self-loathing and homophobia. They tell priests to be celibate. That was a disaster. They recommend abstinence only. What'll we name the baby? They try to criminalize abortion, and where successful, unwanted baby's are born to those that don't hemorrhage to death in an alley or filthy clinic first. They describe humanity as weak and dependent on a god. They do violence to reason by praising faith as a higher virtue. Not helpful. It's practice for later in life when they believe other things by faith, such as that climate change is a hoax, or the vaccine is more dangerous than the virus, or that an American presidential election was stolen. That kind of thinking is the legacy of Sunday school.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
No belief exists on it's own. They are all based on supporting beliefs.

They are supported by sufficient objective evidence, or they are simply unevidenced claims.

Atheism is the antithetical to theism.

No it isn't. whilst they may be mutually incompatible, they are not opposites, that's just a piece of sophistry theists like you have used repeatedly, to evade offering anything substantive or objective to support your belief in a deity from an unevidenced bronze age superstition.

Theism asserts that because there is an objective reality (that we didn't/don't create or control) there must be some sort of 'power greater than ourselves' that did/does.

Not even close to what theism means, risible biased nonsense in fact.

The atheist asserts that unless and until this 'power' can be proven to exist by some means besides mere conjecture, then it should be presumed absent.

Whilst I am sure theists, like yourself, love to pretend conjecture is in fact evidence, I don't believe your unevidenced claim, and I am an atheist, and have made no such assertion.

Playing word games doesn't change this.

Physician heal thyself...:rolleyes:

And nearly every self-proclaimed atheist in this site has already stated that they believe just as I've stated above.

Not even remotely true, and the poll even allowing theists to vote, shows that your claim is demonstrably biased nonsense.

25 to 5 against your sophistry.....:rolleyes: