• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No idea. Ask the one who speaks from the perspective of the Nyaya system.
That misses the point. 't' is obviously a variable. I'm not asking you to fill in the variable, but presenting the next logical step in the thought process: what it is the fill in the variable. Hence the expression can become meaningful (until then, it is only meaningful mathematically). But filling in that variable comes with a lot of baggage: everything that each individual might associate with it means to be that whatever-it-is.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm more interested, in this thread, with the meaning of default in the context of options, not of loans.

(Edit: But I find it hilarious that your dictionary would point to loans first. That speaks to the modern usage in terms of banking.)

Edit: From your link, "the preset selection of an option offered by a system, which will always be followed except when explicitly altered." So what option is the baby preset to select? Or the rock?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I'm more interested, in this thread, with the meaning of default in the context of options, not of loans.

(Edit: But I find it hilarious that your dictionary would point to loans first. That speaks to the modern usage in terms of banking.)
Well, newborns lack the ability to pay of their loans, so they automatically have defaulted on them... :D

Curious George

Veteran Member
Because we are all born without belief, and beliefs are obtained over time as a result of various factors. It is the default position on all matters to not believe a proposition until such a time as it convinces us....

And there you have the conflation you denied. And also the beginnings of the "argument" you have never heard.

Lol, are you trying to prove my point?

The default position refers to a position in debate, after one understands the propositions, after confrontation not before.

That prior to confrontation we "don't believe" is different to the default position of rejecting belief after being confronted with a proposition. The rejection of a proposition is not the same as the inability accept or reject that proposition. Hence, it is not the "default" to reject a belief if we are going to ignorantly claim that the "default" is an inability to accept or reject.

atanu

Premium Member
Well, newborns lack the ability to pay of their loans, so they automatically have defaulted on them... :D

And they not only borrowed nothing they also know nothing about 'loan'. But they have defaulted.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Learn the difference between weak and strong atheism and implicit and explicit atheism before making any more statements.

We know. But some people try to force implicit atheism as the default atheism.

Plus. Implicit atheism assumption that babies who have no thought about atheism or theism, has atheism as the default. That is only a view. But, some passionate people think that that is the truth.

atanu

Premium Member
Not believing "t" isn't the same as believing the opposite of "t". You can perfectly well not believe "t" and not believe the opposite of "t".​

Friend. What you say is your view, which I will not agree to, since I understand that an absence cannot be negated.

The expression ‘lack of t’ will be meaningful if we know what it is for ’t’ to be present somewhere. If we know what it is for ’t’ to be present somewhere, then we know the manner of presentation of ’t’. In the cognition negation of ’t’, ’t’ is the counter-positive of the negation of ’t’. "

What I have reproduced above is the view of Nyaya system on concept of cognition. You take it or leave it. These are mental things/concepts and there are so many such views. People argue imagining these views to be the truth.

The default, as per experience of sages, is .....

ArtieE

We know. But some people try to force implicit atheism as the default atheism.

Plus. Implicit atheism assumption that babies who have no thought about atheism or theism, has atheism as the default. That is only a view. But, some passionate people think that that is the truth.
Well, if you don't believe babies are not theists when they're born which god(s) do you think we believe in at birth? Which god(s) did you believe in when you were born?

atanu

Premium Member
Can you write this in a different way and elaborate a bit more in your own words?

We are talking of 'lack of t' and not t and the opposite of t. I will go back to the original post again.

The expression ‘lack of t’ will be meaningful if we know what it is for ’t’ to be present somewhere. If we know what it is for ’t’ to be present somewhere, then we know the manner of presentation of ’t’. In the cognition negation of ’t’, ’t’ is the counter-positive of the negation of ’t’. "

Now replace 'belief in deity' for t, so that we have the definition of atheism being used here, namely, "Lack of belief in deity".

Not believing "t" isn't the same as believing the opposite of "t".​

Our Nyaya friend is not saying this.

You can perfectly well not believe "t" and not believe the opposite of "t".

Again. We are not talking of t and opposite of t.:)

ArtieE

Now replace 'belief in deity' for t, so that we have the definition of atheism being used here, namely, "Lack of belief in deity".
Can you restate this whole statement

The expression ‘lack of t’ will be meaningful if we know what it is for ’t’ to be present somewhere. If we know what it is for ’t’ to be present somewhere, then we know the manner of presentation of ’t’. In the cognition negation of ’t’, ’t’ is the counter-positive of the negation of ’t’.

in your own words?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Please do yourself a favor and look up the VERB "lack" and the ADJECTIVE "lacking"!! The adj. version of the word means, as you are implying, "insufficient". But the verb "to lack" means "to be without". I will grant you, English is confusing, but you are blatantly using the incorrect meaning of the term in this context. IT DOESN'T MEAN "INSUFFICIENT", IT MEANS "ABSENCE OF"!!! This is basic grammar.

You are assuming the negative implications that the word "lacking" has when used as an adjective, even though it clearly means "to be without".

For example, according to your logic, "atheists" believe in God, just not enough. See how ludicrous that is?!

tossing the word salad rather high.....

Atheist have a belief......there is no god.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I wasn't asserting that we assess it from anyone's perspective, but for each perspective. Assessing the definition's truth for each person's perspective is looking at it from the objective perspective, because the definition is about belief. We all have 'em, so if it's to work at all, it will work for each of us.
You are conflicting yourself and making a few errors here.
1) If it is objective it is not subjective. You are claiming some kind of all encompassing subjectivity. This is a moot point. This is not objectivity.
2) If something works at all it may not work for each of us as a belief because people have such drastically different beliefs. Either your simply wrong here or I have not received the intended message.