• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Sure. I do believe in God, but that is irrelevant. We are saying that atheism does not require saying this. It merely required a "lack of belief".

Now you are playing a word game.

I believe the angelic have far less patience than I do in such matters.....

Belief has consequence.
Denial has consequence.

Shall we be adult about it?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
We are discussing those that say I have not been convinced that belief in God is warranted. They don't believe that God does not exist or cannot exist, as that would be ridiculous all the same, as anything is possible. They mere lack a belief in the existence of God.

It remains a declaration.....consequence pending....

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Now you are playing a word game.

I believe the angelic have far less patience than I do in such matters.....

Belief has consequence.
Denial has consequence.

Shall we be adult about it?
We aren't discussing denial. So how is that relevant?

Blastcat

We are discussing those that say I have not been convinced that belief in God is warranted. They don't believe that God does not exist or cannot exist, as that would be ridiculous all the same, as anything is possible. They mere lack a belief in the existence of God.

And what is your position on the appropriate default position on truth claims?

A Vestigial Mote

Well, the PROBLEM I see that your having with the idea is the way that you USE "dis".

I'm fine with all of your logical explanations of why the words mean what they mean, etc.

But let's just take a look at the reasons someone might want to advocate the position that a baby, or indeed anyone in the "default" state we've been discussing, can be deemed "atheist". The reasons are, as far as I have seen, to further or strengthen the atheist argument or position. And THIS is what I take issue with. It is COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS to say babies and the completely uninformed make the realm of "atheists" a very strong category or large group, or that the community of people who consider themselves atheist is better off for having babies and the uninformed among our ranks.

And therefore, it is completely useless to use that idea in any argument on behalf of the stance atheism.

The theists: "We've got God on our side!"
The atheists: "But we've got all the babies! Hahahahaha! Aren't we clever?"

And the answer... no. No you are not.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'm fine with all of your logical explanations of why the words mean what they mean, etc.

But let's just take a look at the reasons someone might want to advocate the position that a baby, or indeed anyone in the "default" state we've been discussing, can be deemed "atheist". The reasons are, as far as I have seen, to further or strengthen the atheist argument or position. And THIS is what I take issue with. It is COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS to say babies and the completely uninformed make the realm of "atheists" a very strong category or large group, or that the community of people who consider themselves atheist is better off for having babies and the uninformed among our ranks.

And therefore, it is completely useless to use that idea in any argument on behalf of the stance atheism.

The theists: "We've got God on our side!"
The atheists: "But we've got all the babies! Hahahahaha! Aren't we clever?"

And the answer... no. No you are not.
That is another straw man. We are talking about semantics, there is no agenda. And the reverse could be said about your position.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Belief takes consideration.
Your thoughts and feelings are your own responsibility.

I believe we stand before God a heaven....with every thought and feeling revealed.