• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism...the religion of...science?

hero

Any time I have tried to debate with an atheist about religion, all I here is how and why science concludes and proves all that they debate for. Has it then become an atheist belief, or a means of defying God???

hero

mr.guy said:
Probably because you're largely debating in science threads. .
How else would I know. Your infinite wisdom never ceases to fail O wise one of the back seat.

gnomon

hero said:
Any time I have tried to debate with an atheist about religion, all I here is how and why science concludes and proves all that they debate for. Has it then become an atheist belief, or a means of defying God???
I have no need for science to conclude my athiesm. So, in essence, the answer to your question is no.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
hero said:
The question is incoherent. Could you please rephrase it?

linwood

I was an atheist well before I ever took an interest in scientific method.

Most atheists don`t support their belief with science per say because they just don`t care to or feel they need to.
Rationalism is more than enough for them

JonM

Hey, I'm a theist that uses science! What does that make me?!

Oh wait. There's already a thread on this. Shame.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
hero said:
Like any truth, it can be used for good or evil and various conclusions can be reached depending on your philosophical inclination. Science deals with the physical and is incompetent to deal with the spiritual. The converse can be said about most religions.

askeptic

hero said:
An atheist doesn't believe in god, so there is nothing to defy. Reason, as a methodology of logic, is really all that is being used, whether to debate religion or politics or almost any other subject. So go ahead and lay out your arguments. Debate does seem to work best if you confine it to one or two points.

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Im with skeptic, I never believed in god so I am not defying anyone. Also, I was an atheist way before I started to question things deeper, so no atheism for me isn't the religion of science. Science just helps to prove the points. Maybe you are upset because all you have to back your points up are ancient doodles?

Peace x

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Well Hero,

Strike up a debate about something that interests you, that is not related directly to science, and you will likely get a lot of folks debating with you and using logic, reasoning, etc. . . to debate on the topic at hand. If you are throwing logic in with science, then, I fear you are going to not find many competent debaters who are willing to disregard logic/science to form their debate.

B.

hero

Jayhawker Soule said:
The question is incoherent. Could you please rephrase it?
Science often, even thought not technically, seems to be the belief of an atheist. What they place their faith in.

hero

linwood said:
I was an atheist well before I ever took an interest in scientific method.

Most atheists don`t support their belief with science per say because they just don`t care to or feel they need to.
Rationalism is more than enough for them
This is where my other question comes in. I believe every person, whether they will acknowledge it even to themselves or not, knows God exists. Atheists who buy into science seem to me to be trying to defy that itching in the back of their head, convincing themselves otherwise. Many times I have noticed an atheist more arguing with themself than me.

hero

NetDoc said:
Like any truth, it can be used for good or evil and various conclusions can be reached depending on your philosophical inclination. Science deals with the physical and is incompetent to deal with the spiritual. The converse can be said about most religions.
In my experience with this issue I have also learned and observed however, that, many who fall under this catagory choose to remain blind to philosophy. I agree with what you said, but I am willing to study science. Someone with no faith seems reluctant to discuss anything other than what they can prove, as though they use what they can see to prevent them from seeing any further.

hero

askeptic said:
An atheist doesn't believe in god, so there is nothing to defy. Reason, as a methodology of logic, is really all that is being used, whether to debate religion or politics or almost any other subject. So go ahead and lay out your arguments. Debate does seem to work best if you confine it to one or two points.
I see this as a possiblity because, as I have now written several times, I theorize, with due experience and observation, that atheists dont acknowledge a God. It appears that many use what they do see to keep them from seeing any further, and that the reason why they seek what is evidently true, is so that they can avoid what they know is true. And if ever to justify, take to agnostics.:jiggy:

hero

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Well Hero,

Strike up a debate about something that interests you, that is not related directly to science, and you will likely get a lot of folks debating with you and using logic, reasoning, etc. . . to debate on the topic at hand. If you are throwing logic in with science, then, I fear you are going to not find many competent debaters who are willing to disregard logic/science to form their debate.

B.
You do not attack a tree head on, but at its roots. It is an argument to regad the very foundation of "why atheism." If you have a reply, I would love to hear it, but keep to the topic.:rolleyes:

hero

Atheist_Dave said:
Im with skeptic, I never believed in god so I am not defying anyone. Also, I was an atheist way before I started to question things deeper, so no atheism for me isn't the religion of science. Science just helps to prove the points. Maybe you are upset because all you have to back your points up are ancient doodles?

Peace x
If you were the one studying science, and "deeper" "things", then who were you proving points too?:bounce