• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist by birth?

idav

Being
Premium Member
The term "weak atheism" was invented by a fellow named George H. Smith in the 70's. Before that, everyone knew what an atheist was, there was no such disagreement, no such debate.
Of course there wasn't a debate because god was just assumed to exist. There was no reason to ask, as if it were a silly question.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Actually, that's two choices, and your forgot two:
both
neither
Well I do find the idea of having to state you do not believe in something that doesn't exist rather redundant. Saying you don't believe once it is proposed to you doesn't change the existence of something unless our thoughts can create something into existence.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
We are all normal when we are born, just living life, not worried about anything but eating and sleeping, maybe playing with a mobile or sucking on our toes now and then. Then we grow up and get all ****** and have to say whether or not we believe in some stuff and listen to if someone else has the same view, hoping that they don't so we can argue about it.
The voice of reason.

Upside-down banana voice, but still...

laffy_taffy

The term "weak atheism" was invented by a fellow named George H. Smith in the 70's. Before that, everyone knew what an atheist was, there was no such disagreement, no such debate. The word had meaning. He thought this new term added something relevant to our modern society, bringing more people into the fold as it were. So my only question is, why is this a fold we want to be brought into? Or, more properly, according to some on these forums, sucked into?

I could run out and buy Smith's books, but my libertarian stance of being "just me" has served me well enough over the years. I'm not saying people shouldn't identify as weak atheist, or identify the baby as such, I'm just saying not all of us do. Not all of us can.

Is it the word "atheist" that you have a problem with? It doesn't change the fact that the same number of people still do not have a belief in god, whether you call them, atheists, unbelievers, non-believers, non-theists, etc. I don't know why the label seems to drive people crazy, into making it out to be more than it is.

Tell me, do you think there is a difference between someone who is labeled any of these other things (above) vs. being labeled an atheist?

If there is a difference, then:

1)what is that difference
2)how does that make any difference in everything that we've told you about us not having a belief in god?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is it the word "atheist" that you have a problem with? It doesn't change the fact that the same number of people still do not have a belief in god, whether you call them, atheists, unbelievers, non-believers, non-theists, etc. I don't know why the label seems to drive people crazy, into making it out to be more than it is.

Tell me, do you think there is a difference between someone who is labeled any of these other things (above) vs. being labeled an atheist?

2)how does that make any difference in everything that we've told you about us not having a belief in god?
Words actually do have meaning, they're not just labels. My argument isn't with a label, it's with people thinking that babies are atheists.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Words actually do have meaning, they're not just labels. My argument isn't with a label, it's with people thinking that babies are atheists.
I thought you were saying that babies aren't atheists because they wouldn't label themselves as such. Your objection is us using a label we are familiar with on someone unfamiliar with it. Am I understanding your stance?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Here is another problem.

Here is the definitions of 'believe' but for this thread I've been using the third option, in which case the opposite would be 'Not to have an opinion' or 'Not to think something'. When applying the other definitions, they only work for people who reject belief in god due to the semantics of the definitions.

a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept something as true, genuine, or real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>

: to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something <believe in exercise>

: to hold an opinion : think <I believe so>

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
This wasn't addressed to me, but no. What I have a problem with is ascribing ANY theological stance to people (or things) incapable of forming one.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I thought you were saying that babies aren't atheists because they wouldn't label themselves as such.
Nope. Maybe somebody else.

Am I understanding your stance?
The term "weak atheism" (or negative atheism) is rendered relatively meaningless when it:
1) represents a "lack of belief," which as I've already argued is ...a poor choice of words;
2) incorrectly, in my opinion, represents a negation of "the group that believes in God," which includes everyone outside that group --this is not its definition in any dictionary;
3) is held up as a place-holder for any old variety of position that holds the phrase, "not believe in the existence of deity," without regard to the intellectual, voluntary and sound decision-making process that went into the conclusion that is that belief.

Last edited:

laffy_taffy

Would you mind answering the rest of my post?

laffy_taffy

This wasn't addressed to me, but no. What I have a problem with is ascribing ANY theological stance to people (or things) incapable of forming one.

Being "without" something is a state of being, not a theological "stance." If you are without a particular (or any) belief, you are not putting forth any kind of claim or position.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Being "without" something is a state of being, not a theological "stance." If you are without a particular (or any) belief, you are not putting forth any kind of claim or position.
But you can't reject an idea you can't comprehend. Atheism is more than absence, it is rejection.

idav

Being
Premium Member
But you can't reject an idea you can't comprehend. Atheism is more than absence, it is rejection.
It isn't about rejection or absence as much as it is about belief and whether you have it or not.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It isn't about rejection or absence as much as it is about belief and whether you have it or not.
I can go with that. By those terms, I'd say that it's only a meaningful term if restricted to those capable of belief.

ETA: IOW, it's just as silly to call a baby an atheist as it is a Hindu.

laffy_taffy

Would you mind answering the rest of my post?

I think there's a difference between being labelled an atheist and being an atheist.

The difference between labels isn't important.

I didn't ask whether or not you thought any differences were unimportant, I asked if you could answer the specific questions. I understand if you are unable to.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I can go with that. By those terms, I'd say that it's only a meaningful term if restricted to those capable of belief.

ETA: IOW, it's just as silly to call a baby an atheist as it is a Hindu.
Well it is more silly to call a rock atheist than a baby but yeah, babies don't believe in lots of things.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well it is more silly to call a rock atheist than a baby but yeah, babies don't believe in lots of things.
I don't think it is (which is why I used that example).

It's not simply that babies don't believe - it's that they CAN'T believe.