• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist looking for religious debate. Any religion. Let's see if I can be convinced.

Dropship

Oh. So Salm's claim that Nazereth had once been an established settlement but had been abandoned by Jesus' time is actually reasonably accurate?
So the Bible's claim that Jesus was "from Nazareth" might be inaccurate?
Thanks.

"Abandoned" is too strong a word, certainly the craftsmen had gone to earn big bucks at Sepphoris a few miles up the road, but there was no need for their wives and kids to go, and anyway somebody had to stay behind in Nazareth to tend the livestock.
Jesus certainly grew up in Nazareth, as in 'Jesus of Nazareth' ..:)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How can you know anything about God if "piddly human logical analysis" doesn't apply to said God?
The ONLY way we can EVER know anything about God is through God's Messengers who reveal who God is.
Jesus came to reveal the truth about God and that is why He said...

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

How do you think you are going to analyze God using logical analysis, when you do not even know anything about God? You cannot analyze a being you know nothing about. That is illogical.
Nothing we can deduce about this God could have been arrived at using "piddly human logical analysis."
That s 100% correct.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The ONLY way we can EVER know anything about God is through God's Messengers who reveal who God is.
Jesus came to reveal the truth about God and that is why He said...

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

How do you think you are going to analyze God using logical analysis, when you do not even know anything about God? You cannot analyze a being you know nothing about. That is illogical.

That s 100% correct.

You've already said all this several times. It doesn't address my point.

Now you're claiming that we can't know anything about God. But earlier you claimed you have knowledge of God. Pardon me for pointing out that this all sounds rather nonsensical.

Oh, it's illogical alright.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How can a God be shown to exist without evidence? The Messengers are the evidence that show that God exists.

About 50 years ago.
Great question.

I'm a messenger of the magical fairy pixies. I can make things up too. And I don't even have to show that magical pixie fairies exist in the first place. I'm still 100% correct. That's according to your logic. Or lack thereof.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Now you're claiming that we can't know anything about God. But earlier you claimed you have knowledge of God. Pardon me for pointing out that this all sounds rather nonsensical.

Oh, it's illogical alright.
I never said we cannot know anything about God. I have always said that we can know something about God through the Messengers of God (Manifestations of God) and what they reveal.

“He Who is everlastingly hidden from the eyes of men can never be known except through His Manifestation, and His Manifestation can adduce no greater proof of the truth of His Mission than the proof of His own Person.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 49

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Great question.

I'm a messenger of the magical fairy pixies. I can make things up too. And I don't even have to show that magical pixie fairies exist in the first place. I'm still 100% correct. That's according to your logic. Or lack thereof.
You only make yourself look foolish when you compare Messengers of God to magical pixies. The difference between the two is that there is no evidence that indicates that magical pixies exist whereas there is evidence that indicates that Messengers of God exist.

If atheists do not want to look foolish I suggest they not talk like this.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I never said we cannot know anything about God. I have always said that we can know something about God through the Messengers of God (Manifestations of God) and what they reveal.

“He Who is everlastingly hidden from the eyes of men can never be known except through His Manifestation, and His Manifestation can adduce no greater proof of the truth of His Mission than the proof of His own Person.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 49
And how do we know who the actual Messengers of God are and who are the fakers?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
You only make yourself look foolish when you compare Messengers of God to magical pixies. The difference between the two is that there is no evidence that indicates that magical pixies exist whereas there is evidence that indicates that Messengers of God exist.

If atheists do not want to look foolish I suggest they not talk like this.
I've shown how foolish your argument actually is.

All I have done is replace the word "God" with "magical pixies" in your arguments.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The burden of proof does not apply to me because I have no claims. Baha'u'llah made the claims and He supported His claims with evidence.

The claims of Baha’u’llah and the evidence that supports the claims of Baha’u’llah on this thread:

Questions for knowledgeable Bahai / followers of Baha'u'llah
Please, you care constantly making claims. Do you want me to go back and find some for you? Quit blaming your founder for your inability to properly support your claims.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Please, you care constantly making claims. Do you want me to go back and find some for you? Quit blaming your founder for your inability to properly support your claims.
I make no claims. I just state my beliefs.
I have nothing to claim so there would be no reason for me to make claims.

The reason you want to turn my beliefs into claims is so you can say I have the burden of proof. I was not born yesterday...
But again, I have no claims.

night912

And how do we know who the actual Messengers of God are and who are the fakers?

We check them out by looking at the evidence that shows who they were.

And we all know where this is going. Trailblazer will once again end up being critical of her reasoning methods. But of course, at the end, she won't include herself as the ones to blame for criticism of her reasoning.