• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Atheist"--the term itself

prometheus11

You don't know what 'devout' means? We can use the word ''religious'', etc. If fanatic atheist applies to the hypothetical situation, that would work, as well.

''Religious experience''. It would mean that the person had a religious experience /of some sort/, that they concluded was ''real''. There is no specific type of religious experience indicated in the hypothetical, simply one that (obviously), the person having it, considered it to be real.

Oh, thanks. I was trying to determine any relevance. Oh well.

prometheus11

Whatever ''spiritual'' means, dunno, I think all of that is subjective. And science and reason are not necessarily connected to atheism, at all. The faith aspect is going to vary. ''Faith'' is a concept that has many applications, one of them could be ''atheism''; it's pretty much an arbitrary idea to somehow say that theists necessarily have more faith than an atheist; they may not, it depends on context.

There is nothing, for example, that would indicate, from science, that lack of some type of creator, makes any sense. That's a matter of faith. Believing that everything magically poofed into existence, from nothing, is a religious belief, (faith based), and fairly non-scientific, at that .

Science does not deal with the idea of a creator. Just like it doesn't comment on pink and purple polka dotted unicorns. Science doesn't say they do exist. If doesn't say they don't exist. It just doesn't comment on what if cannot measure.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Was not his context, which was only aimed at certain theist.

"Nothing" is quite the tricky word for physicists ;)

Ah I figured this was another 'there was nothing then it exploded' criticism of naturalistic cosmological models. My mistake if that wasn't what they meant. :)

It is indeed.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
You read into it, however you want.
Rhetorical device to note that you didn't address the question at all.

People who didn't believe in god were referred to as Atheos 2000 years(and more) before the term theist was coined. Theos never had a comparable understanding.

It is just the way MANY people chose to describe aspects of their lives in what is Important to them personally.
Exactly. It is an emotive family situation. It isn't wrong for you or any other atheist parent to call your child atheist.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
It did not mean what you think it does. It sates nothing of disbelief.

It was more a term for when a god abandoned the people, they were without god.

either did atheos
These are just factually incorrect statements. I quote Thayer here: "knowing and worshiping no gods... repudiating the gods recognized by the state... one who neither knows no worships the true God". It is a simple fact and you were and, if you continue to refuse to acknowledge fact, are wrong.

outhouse

Atheistically
These are just factually incorrect statements. I quote Thayer here: "knowing and worshiping no gods... repudiating the gods recognized by the state... one who neither knows no worships the true God". It is a simple fact and you were and, if you continue to refuse to acknowledge fact, are wrong.

Sorry there had to be a theos, before there could be an atheos

god
without god

outhouse

Atheistically
Its funny how you think only Greek culture capitalized on these terms as original :rolleyes:

These concepts predated these cultures and this language. Gods go back as far as history does, and with that I'm sure people that refuse them.

a 2000 year difference between atheist and faithful has not been substantiated because it is apologetic rhetoric and little else.

Bad theistic philosophy professors I'm sure are to blame here.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Its funny how you think only Greek culture capitalized on these terms as original
I didn't limit the conversation to a single culture. I just speak to what I am familiar with. It is why I asked you to evidence your claim. Bring any culture you want into it.

a 2000 year difference between atheist and faithful has not been substantiated because it is apologetic rhetoric and little else.
The question wasn't between atheist and faithful. It was the difference between the need for a term to describe those who do not believe in deity(atheos, 2000+ years ago) and the need for a term to describe people who believe in deity(theist, coined in the 17th century). I am discussing the linguistics not the philosophy.

There was some disbelief ill give you that. But many were called atheos when it was perceived their gods had left them.
Thank you. I never said atheos did not have different meanings as well.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Which was another languages translation of theos. Not a new concept
You will need to evidence that theos ever referred to people who believe in god/gods/deity to support the first sentence. I didn't say it was a new concept, it was a new word to provide for a new linguistic need.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For one thing, words usually have more than one meaning.
I do not think so. Shiva for example is the name of the Hindu God but the term is applied to many other things:
1. N. of the third god of the sacred Hindu Trinity who is entrusted with the work of destruction; 2. male organ of generation; 3. an auspicious planetary conjunction; 4. the Veda; 5. final beatitude; 6. a post to which cattle are tied; 7. a god; 8. quick-silver; 10. the black variety of thorn-apple; 11. rum; 12. buttermilk; 13. a ruby; 14. time;
1. prosperity; 2. bliss; 3. final beatutude; 4. water; 5. seasalt; 6. rock-salt; 7. refined; 8. iron; 9. myrobalan; 10. sandal.

An non-belief in God may (not necessarily) also mean non-belief in many God-related beliefs - soul, heaven, hell, deliverance, rebirth in the normal sense, karma transference over future lives, grace, divine mercy and anger, ghosts and other supernaturals. I hope some member has mentioned that.

Last edited: