• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheistism:a down-side to it?

Lost Soul

Is there a down-side to being an Atheist? I'm asking Atheist this because I think they will tell me the truth.

For example: When you go to a funeral where people know you are an atheist, do people shy away from you? Kind of like they don't want to have think that you might be right and no heaven is waiting for them when they die?

If you don't mind, please share some of your down-side experiences with being an Athiest.

M

Majikthise

Lets see.....

Still thinking.....

Nope. Nothing. My friends and family ,mostly christians, don't treat me any differently. If anyone thinks badly of me because I am an atheist , I couldn't give a wetslap.:D

linwood

This is really a tough question.

It`s hard because the only downsides would have to be in comparison to theism and most atheists consider the downsides that there could be in comparison trivial when compared to the upsides .

For instance I`d love to be able to tell my daughter her grandma is waiting for her in some beautiful heavenly place in the clouds as it would make it so much easier for her to deal with death.
However in the long run we believe telling our children such things is teaching them to believe in fairy tales and such beliefs often conflict with life as we know it.

That would be keeping reality from her and therefore keeping her from enlightenment.

Thats worse.

So, I guess my answer is no, not really.

Edit:
Got one!

The downside to atheism is that the majority of my society believes in some type of god and therefore my voice is almost alone in the crowd.
Faith based politics, the false sex education teaching in public school.
Having to deal with intolerant idiots.

Yeah, there`s a downside

Reactions: s2a
M

Majikthise

linwood said:

Edit:
Got one!

The downside to atheism is that the majority of my society believes in some type of god and therefore my voice is almost alone in the crowd.
Faith based politics, the false sex education teaching in public school.
Having to deal with intolerant idiots.

Yeah, there`s a downside
Nah.

I thought about all that. It's just normal paranoia. If not religion then some other hokey cause, and intolerant idiots practice their skills just as well without religion (though I admit it does contribute greatly).:D

linwood

Majikthise said:
Nah.

I thought about all that. It's just normal paranoia. If not religion then some other hokey cause, and intolerant idiots practice their skills just as well without religion (though I admit it does contribute greatly).:D
You may be right Majik but isn`t there a downside to everything?

I think it`s a good question, I`ll have to think on it awhile.

M

Majikthise

It's definitely a tough one, I'm gonna work on it too.:D

M

Majikthise

Eureka!

As an atheist I cannot simply blame my actions on gods plan or the devil. I have to take responsibility for everything that I do.
Every thought I have is my own and must be considered and constructed by me.
Thinking for yourself is sometimes hard, that's why a lot of people don't bother doing it.

I've got a headache.;)

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Majikthise said:
Eureka!

As an atheist I cannot simply blame my actions on gods plan or the devil. I have to take responsibility for everything that I do.
Every thought I have is my own and must be considered and constructed by me.
Thinking for yourself is sometimes hard, that's why a lot of people don't bother doing it.

I've got a headache.;)
Wrong!
As I'm a believer of fate I don't have to throw it all on me, I can always blame fate :D

About a real downside: as an atheist you would really like to get real hard proof that all those religious people have been praying al their life and wasting time in church for nothing. But real hard proof is still not available.

But remember you don't have to choose a faith because it has no downsides..:tsk:
In that case you have to become an agnost, they don't even have the problem I described here..

mr.guy

crapsack
ur
bouncingball said:
About a real downside: as an atheist you would really like to get real hard proof that all those religious people have been praying al their life and wasting time in church for nothing.
Anti-theism is not an atheist mandate nor obligation; it may even be a greater waste of time then "praying in church for nothing".

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
mr.guy said:
urAnti-theism is not an atheist mandate nor obligation; it may even be a greater waste of time then "praying in church for nothing".
That hard proof is meant for yourself mr.guy..

linwood

Here`s a downside.

This cartoon controversy raging across the world.

Having to witness ignorant people destroy humanity itself because of their imaginary dieties is a downside.

Lost Soul

linwood said:
Here`s a downside.

This cartoon controversy raging across the world.

Having to witness ignorant people destroy humanity itself because of their imaginary dieties is a downside.
I can understand that. But just remember, you used the word "imaginary" and not me.;)

linwood

Lost Soul said:
I can understand that. But just remember, you used the word "imaginary" and not me.;)
I have no idea why the use of the word would be a problem.
It`s factual.

M

Majikthise

Bouncing Ball said:
Wrong!
As I'm a believer of fate I don't have to throw it all on me, I can always blame fate :D
Your own actions ARE on you.

Bouncing Ball said:
About a real downside: as an atheist you would really like to get real hard proof that all those religious people have been praying al their life and wasting time in church for nothing. But real hard proof is still not available.
Mr.Guy addressed this to my satisfaction.

Bouncing Balls said:
But remember you don't have to choose a faith because it has no downsides..:tsk:
In that case you have to become an agnost, they don't even have the problem I described here..
Wrong!Atheism is not a faith.:p
I don't believe real (yes I mean real) atheists choose atheism, it is inescapable once it is realised. An unreal atheist? One who hates god. How can you hate someone that does not exsist?

Ardent Listener

linwood said:
I have no idea why the use of the word would be a problem.
It`s factual.
An Athiest gave Lost Soul a hard time for using the same word on another thread. The one about the Queen's responce to the cartoon situation, I think.

linwood

Ardent Listener said:
An Athiest gave Lost Soul a hard time for using the same word on another thread. The one about the Queen's responce to the cartoon situation, I think.
Ahhh, Thank you for clarifying that Ardent.
:)

shytot

I suppose the bottom line for an Atheist is, 2+2=4
you can be told all of your life it's 5, but no matter how much
you tell yourself they are right,
something deep down keeps telling you it's 4.
So if you know the answer is 5, you have got religion,
if you think the answer is 4, your an Agnostic,
if you know the answer is 4, your an Atheist.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Majikthise said:
Your own actions ARE on you.
Like I said, I believe in Fate. With that comes (for me at least) the idea that there is no free will. If there is fate, it will happen anyway and I got just as much reason to blame fate as a religious person has reason to blame God.

Majikthise said:
Anti-theism is not an atheist mandate nor obligation; it may even be a greater waste of time then "praying in church for nothing".
Mr.Guy addressed this to my satisfaction.
Considering either there is a God or there isn't only one of the thoughts is a waste of time, the one wich isn't the truth. I would like my answer to be the truth please. So in that case I do like to show everybody else that that there is no God. This does not make me anti-theist, so why do you guys keep talking about that? :p
If God would exist I would liek to tell all scientist that some of their rules where a waste of time too..

Majikthise said:
Wrong!Atheism is not a faith.:p
I don't believe real (yes I mean real) atheists choose atheism, it is inescapable once it is realised. An unreal atheist? One who hates god. How can you hate someone that does not exsist?
I think not as I do not hate God. I don't think atheism is a religion, that's why I choose the word faith. But if you are more happy with the word "thought" or whatever, Im satisfied as well.:sarcastic