• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists & Agnostics: If there is a God...

Please read OP: What basic model of God do you find most likely?

• Total voters

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Oops, I voted wrong. I voted panentheistic, and only then checked Wiki and realized I meant pantheistic. My last understanding of God before I became an atheist was pantheistic. Lately though I've seen Deism as being at least possible, though irrelevant.

Tiberius

BTW, Storm, still waiting for you to explain why my response on the previous page was a strawman...

What concepts are those?

Such as the concept of nature/the universe itself being God. Such a concept is not omnipotent, and it could not be a creator of all things (unless you want to explain how the universe could have created itself). People are welcome to call nature God if they want, but that doesn't actually make nature a god.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What about the "nature of things" itself? Every single thing asserts its nature, which could be considered a demonstration of power. Could that be considered "omnipotence"?

PureX

Veteran Member
Panentheism:

A panentheistic belief system is one which posits that the one God interpenetrates every part of nature, and timelessly extends beyond as well. Panentheism is distinguished from pantheism, which holds that God is synonymous with the material universe.

In panentheism, God is viewed as creator and/or animating force behind the universe, and the source of universal truth. This concept of God is closely associated with the Logos as stated in the 5th century BCE works of Heraclitus (ca. 535–475 BC), in which the Logos pervades the cosmos and whereby all thoughts and things originate; e.g., "He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one." A similar thought espoused by Jesus and interpreted by New Thought movement as being synonmous: "The Father and I are one." (John 10:30)
Panentheism is essentially a unifying combination of theism (God is the supreme being) and pantheism (God is everything). While pantheism says that God and the universe are coextensive, panentheism claims that God is greater than the universe and that the universe is contained within God. Panentheism holds that God is the “supreme affect and effect” of the universe. from wikipedia

rojse

RF Addict
There is no god, and if there is, it is me. It wouldn't make sense any other way.

I suppose being your own god cuts out the middle man, and when you spend money on yourself, it is both a sacrifice and a tithe.

And whenever you do something that you want to do, you are paying homage to god.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'm not my own god though... But if there is someone who created everything, it was me, in a dream or hallucination. It is the only way that the entire concept of "god" would make even a little bit of sense...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm not my own god though... But if there is someone who created everything, it was me, in a dream or hallucination. It is the only way that the entire concept of "god" would make even a little bit of sense...
Why "in a dream or hallucination"? Why not "in reality"?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
How could I have created everything in reality? The only way it makes sense that there is a god, is if I am, and I am the only person who exists, and am only in a sense even god at all, because I've not really created anything but thoughts.

I don't believe in anything like that, at all... but if I had to believe in god, I think that would make the most sense.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How could I have created everything in reality? The only way it makes sense that there is a god, is if I am, and I am the only person who exists, and am only in a sense even god at all, because I've not really created anything but thoughts.

I don't believe in anything like that, at all... but if I had to believe in god, I think that would make the most sense.
It's not too far off from what I do believe, and it can "make sense." It begins with the idea that "reality" is everything you've created... And "sense" is what you make of it... and you don't have to be the only one if all are One. Actually, it begins earlier, simpler, with questions like "What is a thing?" and "How do you know a thing is a thing?" Philosophy, for fun and profit.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Philosophy is fun... I'd take a class, but my sister did, and the professor just talked about god every day... I don't think I'd be able to stand that...

PureX

Veteran Member
Philosophy is fun... I'd take a class, but my sister did, and the professor just talked about god every day... I don't think I'd be able to stand that...
Sounds like she took a theology class rather than a philosophy class. Theology is a sub-category of philosophy, but philosophy includes many ideas that are not related to the concept of god.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sounds like she took a theology class rather than a philosophy class. Theology is a sub-category of philosophy, but philosophy includes many ideas that are not related to the concept of god.
The truth of that depends on your concept of God. :)

PureX

Veteran Member
The truth of that depends on your concept of God. :)
It's OK to talk about the internal combustion engine without invoking the existence of "God", even if we believe that God is fire, air, and gasoline.

I would be a poor philosopher indeed, if I couldn't discuss post-modern philosophy, for example, without discussing Jesus. If I'd paid for a philosophy class, and the professor had to bring up Jesus in every class discussion, I'd demand my money back.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I would be a poor philosopher indeed, if I couldn't discuss post-modern philosophy, for example, without discussing Jesus. If I'd paid for a philosophy class, and the professor had to bring up Jesus in every class discussion, I'd demand my money back.
I wouldn't, if he was discussing Jesus in a philosophical context, i.e. as symbolic of man's participation in the creation and sustaining of a universe around him through thought.

PureX

Veteran Member
I wouldn't, if he was discussing Jesus in a philosophical context, i.e. as symbolic of man's participation in the creation and sustaining of a universe around him through thought.
Is the class entitled "Jesus and Philosophy"? If so, then I guess it's fine. If not, I want the class I paid for. *smile*