• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
You wrongly accused me for not admitting mistakes, I corrected you and even offered you a quote of me admitting mistakes.

You , instead of apologizing for the false accusation, you wrote a whole bunch of unrelated words.

That in my opinion is dishonest………………….feel free to disagree
No I did not.

I don't have to apologize for something I didn't do.

Your opinion means nothing to me. You have ensured that.

Audie

Veteran Member
Just how many times, must it be pointed out to @leroy, @YoursTrue and other science illiterate creationists that Natural Selection isn’t random, before they realise these tiresome assumptions are not only incorrect, they are untenable and intellectually dishonest?

They also don’t seem capable of understanding that mutations are not necessary for Natural Selection to occur.
IF allowed into the mind it would collapse the
whole construct of reality in there.

Like a house of curds

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Ah, what an interesting comment:
"The precise transmission of genetic information from one generation to the next is fundamental to life.
Most of the time, this process unfolds with remarkable accuracy, but when it goes awry, mutations can arise—some of them beneficial, some of them inconsequential, and some of them causing malfunction and disease.
Yet, precisely where and how heritable genetic mutations tend to arise in humans has remained largely unknown."
(Go figure...) :)
The source you cited is a good source, but you likely do not understand it and grossly misrepresent it, go figure. https://hms.harvard.edu/news/origins-mutation

The research identified new mutation-fueling mechanisms and some that were already known. One mechanism was related to inaccurate copying of DNA, another was related to chemical damage occurring to the DNA.

The analysis also pinpointed a machinery involved in human gene regulation as a frequent culprit in mutations. This machinery is particularly active during early embryonic development, and most of the mutations introduced by the machinery occur during this period.

In one surprising finding, the researchers identified a mutation-driving mechanism that was not related to DNA copying and cellular division—processes that are prone to mutation-causing glitches. This previously unsuspected mechanism leads to mutations in egg cells stored in the ovaries.

Relevance and implications​

The researchers are now working to incorporate some of the results in a model of human-mutation rate along the genome in an effort to help predict the chance that a specific mutation would occur at a specific location in the genome. The goal is to help in the analysis of disease mutations and in discovery of genes causing rare diseases. The model may also serve to highlight genes of key importance to human health and survival.

The work was supported by the National Institutes of Health (R35GM127131, R01MH101244, U01HG009088, and R01 HG010372) and National Heart Lung Blood Institute (R01HL131768).

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, since I posted to you yesterday, I've watched that episode.
It is a good episode.
Very creative of you.
It seems so obvious, but Star Trek is a surprising reflection of people and our interactions.
I liked it, too. And a few other episode titles from season 3 including And The Children Shall Lead and Is There In Truth No Beauty?
I like that titles too.

The late author Harlan Ellison was an irascible, combative and litigious individual, but an incredibly gifted writer. Don't know if you are familiar with him or his work, but he wrote the last episode of the first season, The City on the Edge of Forever. I'm rather fond of some of his titles. They standout on their own in my opinion. As a retired physician you may appreciate the 4th one on the list.

A few examples of his titles.
  1. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
  2. Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes
  3. The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World
  4. Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans
  5. The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World
He also wrote A Boy and His Dog, which sounds wholesome, but is a post-apocalyptic story about a boy and his highly intelligent, telepathic dog.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I hang around a lot of scientists and most of them tell me that much of what is posted here as science is nonsense, being claims with out support or wild flights of fantasy claimed to be scientific knowledge.

I've cited numerous papers supporting natural selection. Explaining it and demonstrating it. Apparently this is invisible to literalists and others.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That is nice, you say you have experiments etc. where can we find this information such that we can follow it to change our position? Is it something that can be communicated or do we just have to feel it?
Never once have I seen a post with any citations to other work in it. Good luck. I predict grandiose, sidestep.

You have to imagine they are posted.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That is nice, you say you have experiments etc. where can we find this information such that we can follow it to change our position? Is it something that can be communicated or do we just have to feel it?
Apparently, in what I view as science fan fiction, you have to post strange, rambling stories with claims that you have posted evidence and references as a sufficient substitute for actually providing those things. It appears that it is always important to sound grandiose and aggrandizing in your responses too. Imagine Somerset Frisby is making all these claims and rambling stories.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The source you cited is a good source, but you likely do not understand it and grossly misrepresent it, go figure. https://hms.harvard.edu/news/origins-mutation

The research identified new mutation-fueling mechanisms and some that were already known. One mechanism was related to inaccurate copying of DNA, another was related to chemical damage occurring to the DNA.

The analysis also pinpointed a machinery involved in human gene regulation as a frequent culprit in mutations. This machinery is particularly active during early embryonic development, and most of the mutations introduced by the machinery occur during this period.

In one surprising finding, the researchers identified a mutation-driving mechanism that was not related to DNA copying and cellular division—processes that are prone to mutation-causing glitches. This previously unsuspected mechanism leads to mutations in egg cells stored in the ovaries.

The researchers are now working to incorporate some of the results in a model of human-mutation rate along the genome in an effort to help predict the chance that a specific mutation would occur at a specific location in the genome. The goal is to help in the analysis of disease mutations and in discovery of genes causing rare diseases. The model may also serve to highlight genes of key importance to human health and survival.

The work was supported by the National Institutes of Health (R35GM127131, R01MH101244, U01HG009088, and R01 HG010372) and National Heart Lung Blood Institute (R01HL131768).
I find it interesting. Very interesting.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
There is also other problems of trying to apply Probability Theory to the chain of the outcomes of cause and effect events since the range of possible outcomes is determined by Natural Laws. Fundamentalist Christians attempt apply probability evolution as random events.

More to follow . . .

YoursTrue

Ah..."Yet, precisely where and how heritable genetic mutations tend to arise in humans has remained largely unknown." https://hms.harvard.edu/news/origins-mutation

YoursTrue

There is also other problems of trying to apply Probability Theory to the chain of the outcomes of cause and effect events since the range of possible outcomes is determined by Natural Laws. Fundamentalist Christians attempt apply probability evolution as random events.

More to follow . . .
Right. Problems with trying to apply probability theory...

YoursTrue

More to follow . . .
Good. I have to give you credit for that -- I'll be looking forward to seeing more as to what scientists say about this. Thank you. :)

YoursTrue

Sometimes it's attraction. Female peahens choose to mate with the males with the most impressive tails. Female moose choose mates with the biggest antlers.
Sometimes it's hit or miss -- in the sense that a slow pitch is more likely to be hit than a fast one, as a slow gazelle is more likely to get eaten than a fast one.
Like I said maybe it's magnetism that starts good or bad mutations...? you use the word attraction -- :)

YoursTrue

No I did not.

I don't have to apologize for something I didn't do.

Your opinion means nothing to me. You have ensured that.
Hi, Dan. You might want to refer to post #1847 where it certainly seems clear at least to me (maybe you think I'm misinterpreting) that you told @leroy he could not admit errors. Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but seems you said you didn't do that. And my reaction is: oh well...I quote from the post you wrote: "The latter is something that you do and that I recognized early on in our interactions. You do not seem to be able to admit error, I have watched you go to extraordinary effort to divert and avoid admitting errors and personal ignorance of the topics and discussion."

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Ah, what an interesting comment:
"The precise transmission of genetic information from one generation to the next is fundamental to life.
Most of the time, this process unfolds with remarkable accuracy, but when it goes awry, mutations can arise—some of them beneficial, some of them inconsequential, and some of them causing malfunction and disease.
Yet, precisely where and how heritable genetic mutations tend to arise in humans has remained largely unknown."
(Go figure...) :)
This Harvard.edu website states,

“Most of the time, this process [the transmission of genetic material] unfolds with remarkable accuracy, but when it goes awry, mutations can arise—some of them beneficial, some of them inconsequential, and some of them causing malfunction and disease.”

How misleading! (As if its about 1/3 for each category.)

When it goes awry, the vast majority (of mutations) cause malfunctions & disease, and rarely are any beneficial.

If the mutations are “inconsequential”, then there’s nothing awry!

Who wrote this, Doogie Howser?
And peer-reviewed by the Three Stooges?