• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

GoodAttention

Well, if you accept the problem of the thing in itself, then it is not just about an unknowable God.
What is the problem to accept?

The question is about necessity first and foremost. What makes reality necessary? There is either no answer, or the answer XYZ, which is either knowable or unknowable. Theists define XYZ as God and attempt to show God is knowable and "realizable", whilst an atheist will take the opposing view and say God/XYZ is unknowable and unrealizable.

If you further then add Agrippa's Trilemma and the evil demon of Descartes' then unknowable is not just about God, but apparently a general problem for what objective reality is.

This is because of dichotomy. Whilst the atheist has no burden of belief, the difficulty for the theist is to reconcile that the atheist belief can also be true, and is in fact also a dimension of what God would be.

Saying God doesn't exist and saying God is unknowable and unrealizable are not the same. Proof becomes irrelevant with the latter, but not the former.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What is the problem to accept?

The question is about necessity first and foremost. What makes reality necessary? There is either no answer, or the answer XYZ, which is either knowable or unknowable. Theists define XYZ as God and attempt to show God is knowable and "realizable", whilst an atheist will take the opposing view and say God/XYZ is unknowable and unrealizable.

This is because of dichotomy. Whilst the atheist has no burden of belief, the difficulty for the theist is to reconcile that the atheist belief can also be true, and is in fact also a dimension of what God would be.

Saying God doesn't exist and saying God is unknowable and unrealizable are not the same. Proof becomes irrelevant with the latter, but not the former.

Well, as an atheist I have found that I don't just live life as an atheist.
So for the rest of what I do, I do have burden of proof for claims about how the world or an aspect of the world works.

GoodAttention

Well, as an atheist I have found that I don't just live life as an atheist.
And most theists aren't jumping off cliffs believing Jesus will save them. Most of our lives are sleeping, eating, surviving, and enjoying our personal reality as best as we can regardless if we are atheists or theists.

So for the rest of what I do, I do have burden of proof for claims about how the world or an aspect of the world works.
The scientific method is based in reality and therefore any proof to a claim will comprehensible.
The theist Isaac Newton made claims about gravity that were only "proved" when man went to the moon.

Unless you are making a claim never made or proved before, you have no burden.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And most theists aren't jumping off cliffs believing Jesus will save them. Most of our lives are sleeping, eating, surviving, and enjoying our personal reality as best as we can regardless if we are atheists or theists.

The scientific method is based in reality and therefore any proof to a claim will comprehensible.
The theist Isaac Newton made claims about gravity that were only "proved" when man went to the moon.

Unless you are making a claim never made or proved before, you have no burden.

Yeah, how come we have methodological naturalism and not philosophical naturalism?

You seem to be unaware of the problems in epistemology.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
This goes back to the question I asked initially, which you did not answer.

What is the proof of your conclusion?

So you don't accept that there can be a limit to positive proof and that sometimes the rational answer seems to be - I don't know.

I can explain if you accept an answer of I don't know.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
The question is about necessity first and foremost. What makes reality necessary?
How do you know it is necessary?

As @mikkel_the_dane keeps pointing out, there is a fundamental problem with 'why' questions, known as Agrippa's Trilemma or the Münchhausen trilemma.

I've seen the argument from contingency many times and I've never seen anybody make any logical sense of the 'necessary entity' that is supposed to be its own reason for existing, couldn't have failed to exist, and couldn't have been different.

I guess this is the 'circular' option of the trilemma, but I can't even imagine something that would cause some contradiction if it didn't exist or was different, so it appears to be totally nonsensical.

GoodAttention

So you don't accept that there can be a limit to positive proof and that sometimes the rational answer seems to be - I don't know.
I did not use the word unknowable sarcastically.

I also never discussed proof, all my words thus far have been to provide definition and reference between atheists and theists.

I can explain if you accept an answer of I don't know.
Not knowing if you believe in an unknowable God that cannot be realized is more than acceptable.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I did not use the word unknowable sarcastically.

I also never discussed proof, all my words thus far have been to provide definition and reference between atheists and theists.

Not knowing if you believe in an unknowable God that cannot be realized is more than acceptable.

I am an atheist. But I am more than just an atheist.

GoodAttention

How do you know it is necessary?

As @mikkel_the_dane keeps pointing out, there is a fundamental problem with 'why' questions, known as Agrippa's Trilemma or the Münchhausen trilemma.

I've seen the argument from contingency many times and I've never seen anybody make any logical sense of the 'necessary entity' that is supposed to be its own reason for existing, couldn't have failed to exist, and couldn't have been different.

I guess this is the 'circular' option of the trilemma, but I can't even imagine something that would cause some contradiction if it didn't exist or was different, so it appears to be totally nonsensical.
Not at all. I said specifically that no answer is also an outcome, which in my opinion makes the question itself moot or irrelevant.

However, if reality is not necessary, then this should be the core of what an atheist believes. The question of God to such a person is irrelevant.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Not at all. I said specifically that no answer is also an outcome, which in my opinion makes the question itself moot or irrelevant.

However, if reality is not necessary, then this should be the core of what an atheist believes. The question of God to such a person is irrelevant.

So it is okay for an atheist to believe in reality without proof? I am not sure I understand what you are saying?

GoodAttention

So it is okay for an atheist to believe in reality without proof? I am not sure I understand what you are saying?

As I keep saying, I am not talking about proof, or the burden of proof, I am merely attempting to get an understanding of definition and relatability between atheists and theists.

Going back, the first question to ask is, what makes reality necessary?

The absence of an answer makes the question moot, meaning reality is not necessary.
I propose there is an answer which is term XYZ.
Now we can have a belief that XYZ, the answer to what makes reality necessary, as knowable or unknowable, realizable or unrealizable.

In the context of theism, the answer XYZ is God. Therefore the two answers are God is knowable/realizable or God is unknowable/unrealizable.

I am attempting to get a direct answer or response to what I am proposing, but none can seem to give an answer.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
As I keep saying, I am not talking about proof, or the burden of proof, I am merely attempting to get an understanding of definition and relatability between atheists and theists.

Going back, the first question to ask is, what makes reality necessary?

The absence of an answer makes the question moot, meaning reality is not necessary.
I propose there is an answer which is term XYZ.
Now we can have a belief that XYZ, the answer to what makes reality necessary, as knowable or unknowable, realizable or unrealizable.

In the context of theism, the answer XYZ is God. Therefore the two answers are God is knowable/realizable or God is unknowable/unrealizable.

I am attempting to get a direct answer or response to what I am proposing, but none can seem to give an answer.

Thanks for taking your time to explain it.
What do you actually mean with realizable/unrealizable?

GoodAttention

My answer to the fundamental question of why stuff exists is: I haven't a clue,
Ok! Now the next question is, do you believe we will find an answer based in science for what makes reality necessary?

but making up some God (or anything else) doesn't seem to get us anywhere, as it just leaves us with more 'stuff' to explain.
I agree when the question is what makes reality necessary.

vijeno

Would you agree that you believe in an unknowable God that cannot be realized?

No. I guess this is a bit of a misunderstanding. I'm an atheist myself.

My whole point in this discussion is that an incomprehensible god simply does not matter.

So I might just as well have answered "yes" to your question.

An incomprehensible god might exist and not exist at the same time. It might be good and evil all at once. It might be "the All", "the Nothing", "beyond duality"....

All of this is fair and fun and beautiful, and I love to revel in such poetry. It's a nice feeling. But it has no consequences in real life.