• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

Pogo

What’s bizarre is you’ve never heard the phrase God works in mysterious ways.
On the contrary, it is the standard theists excuse when all else fails.
Growth and change is good.
But attribution to another of fantastic abilities is often a sign of a problem in the thinking of the attributor
Because we are trying to nail down just exactly what we are supposed to potentially believe in. Continuing additions of squishy words is not conducive to mutual understanding.

GoodAttention

I think the way to clear this issue up is to stop using the term “belief”. Belief requires the pretense of our knowing things that we can’t honestly know to be so. Belief is basically a dishonest and grandiose state of mind. So that if we want to be honest, and humble, what we are engaging in is faith, not belief. Through faith we are acting on our hope that this idea of God that we hold in our head, is so, even though we can’t know that it is. And the reason it is not illogical for us to do this is because whether or not our idea of God is accurate, our acting as if it is can bring us powerful positive benefits, and not just for ourselves, but for everyone around us. Faith in God is a very effective life tool whether God exists or not. And this is why the vast majority of humans that have ever lived, and are living currently, engage in faith in a God of some kind.
I try to be as neutral as possible, so another word would be accepts. Faith has a bias towards theism, and would add fuel to an already raging atheist fire if they were to say they had faith god didn’t exist.

Faith is what drives the realisation of any knowable God.

leroy

Okay, let's try re-phrasing this.

You are convinced a god exists, right? What convinced you that this god exists? What are the qualities of the god you are convinced exists?

As you say here, this should be easy for you. You're the one who believes there is a god. Why do you believe that?

If you are asking: personally what convinced me... My answer would be personal experience+pascal's wager

If you are asking, what convinced me that the evidence is on my side....my answer would be that I find The arguments typically provided by apologetics convincing and good enough to justify believing in God.

What are the qualities of the god you are convinced exists?
Spaceless inmaterial personal inteligent timeless creator of the universe, who came to earth as a human and resurrected .

Any other question? Is there anything that you found unclear ?

My questions are
What do you mean by evidence, what objective metric do you use to determine if something is evidence, why god fails under that metric,?

Will you ever answer?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I’m sorry that you hate the word God.
Where do you get all the straw from?

...but it seems to be the commonly used term in our language referring to the great mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is.
Well, it's normally used to denote some sort of being. Just check a dictionary. Your take on might not be unique but it's comparatively rare, in my experience. And you've already done the switch by giving everything a purpose. :rolleyes:

The mystery is real, in spite of all these silly attempts at rejecting and ignoring it.
Yet another straw man. I've repeatedly and explicitly said that the reason why stuff exists is a mystery, on this thread and elsewhere.

And nearly every human on the planet knows the reality of it, and ponders it, often, and many even base their lives on however they are choosing to conceptualize it for themselves.
An ad pop fallacy from the self-proclaimed greatest logical mind in history. Also, making up a fantasy about an unknown and living your life by it is totally irrational, no matter how popular it might be. But, as I said, I doubt very much that most people think about it as a mystery, they just accept their cultural superstitions. You've chosen to try to justify it as a mystery but that's you, not most people who have a god or gods.

It’s the atheists that are the anomaly, trying to repress and deny the obvious, mostly in retaliation against religion, and resentment against a world that refuses to bow to their wildly grandiose view of science, and evidence, and intellect.
Genuine LOL! This is coming from somebody who thinks he knows more about how time works than all the scientists and philosophers who have considered it to date, and that it's a 'simple realisation' that somehow everybody else missed.

Comical doesn't cover it, really.

You're the one who is so certain here that you know better than anybody else.

GoodAttention

On the contrary, it is the standard theists excuse when all else fails.
Tried and tested by the sound of it.
But attribution to another of fantastic abilities is often a sign of a problem in the thinking of the attributor
It’s worse to have a preoccupation about such people and to ruminate on their perceived ignorance.

Because we are trying to nail down just exactly what we are supposed to potentially believe in. Continuing additions of squishy words is not conducive to mutual understanding.
You identified the problem and highlighted what not to do. How do you propose to move forward?

ratiocinator

What’s bizarre is you’ve never heard the phrase God works in mysterious ways.
Eh? How the hell did you get that from what I said? Is English not your first language?

Growth and change is good.
Not is it's into baseless fantasy.

Again I'm given to wonder about your grasp of English. Because a mystery is a mystery, not something you know lots about. The more you know about it, the less it's a mystery.

GoodAttention

Eh? How the hell did you get that from what I said? Is English not your first language?
Does dementia run in the family? Or just unmarked graves?
Again I'm given to wonder about your grasp of English. Because a mystery is a mystery, not something you know lots about. The more you know about it, the less it's a mystery.
I’m shocked you are capable of wonder at all, let alone coherent enough to give an elementary analysis of why mysteries get less mysterious when you’ve never experienced one yourself.

ratiocinator

Does dementia run in the family? Or just unmarked graves?

I’m shocked you are capable of wonder at all, let alone coherent enough to give an elementary analysis of why mysteries get less mysterious when you’ve never experienced one yourself.
You do post the most bizarre things, and this is also a rather silly and childish misrepresentation of what I said, unless you think you're also a mind-reader (you're not).

I'm aware of many mysteries and some of them get less mysterious. Others not. Depends on if you can actually discover anything new that sheds light on them.

GoodAttention

You do post the most bizarre things, and this is also a rather silly and childish misrepresentation of what I said, unless you think you're also a mind-reader (you're not).
Bizarre to you is thinking God can be mysterious so I let that slide.
I'm aware of many mysteries and some of them get less mysterious. Others not. Depends on if you can actually discover anything new that sheds light on them.
Name one if you are so inclined.

ratiocinator

If you are asking: personally what convinced me... My answer would be personal experience+pascal's wager
So subjectivity and a false dichotomy.

If you are asking, what convinced me that the evidence is on my side....my answer would be that I find The arguments typically provided by apologetics convincing and good enough to justify believing in God.
Wow. There's this big bridge in London I'm selling at a bargain price, you interested in buying it?

iu

My questions are
What do you mean by evidence, what objective metric do you use to determine if something is evidence, why god fails under that metric,?
Evidence is objective facts (typically observations or experiments) that could potentially falsify a proposition but are consistent with it and not consistent with any alternatives.

The reason god fails is that it is simply unfalsifiable. Any possible observation of the world is consistent with it.

The question that needs asking when you think you have evidence for something, is "what could falsify my proposition?" If the answer is nothing, then you don't have evidence. And, no, something that is obviously already known to be false doesn't work, so you can't say something like "the existence of the universe is evidence, if my God didn't exist, there would be nothing". That would be a bit like saying that gravity is caused by subatomic sized pixies that push things around, and if the pixies didn't exist, neither would gravity.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So subjectivity and a false dichotomy.

Wow. There's this big bridge in London I'm selling at a bargain price, you interested in buying it?

iu

Evidence is objective facts (typically observations or experiments) that could potentially falsify a proposition but are consistent with it and not consistent with any alternatives.

The reason god fails is that it is simply unfalsifiable. Any possible observation of the world is consistent with it.

The question that needs asking when you think you have evidence for something, is "what could falsify my proposition?" If the answer is nothing, then you don't have evidence. And, no, something that is obviously already known to be false doesn't work, so you can't say something like "the existence of the universe is evidence, if my God didn't exist, there would be nothing". That would be a bit like saying that gravity is caused by subatomic sized pixies that push things around, and if the pixies didn't exist, neither would gravity.
Like the bridge to look at but it is a little oldy moldy. Is this an original?

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I try to be as neutral as possible, so another word would be accepts. Faith has a bias towards theism, and would add fuel to an already raging atheist fire if they were to say they had faith god didn’t exist.
I would respect any atheist that admitted they were putting their faith in the idea that no gods exist. Far more than some silly pretense that they’re undecided when they are decidedly NOT undecided, :)
Faith is what drives the realisation of any knowable God.
Faith does not require any realization that God exists. It becomes it’s own realization. All it requires is that we have the courage and clarity to act on whatever idea of God we are placing our faith in. Then we can see the results for ourselves, and alter our position accordingly.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I would respect any atheist that admitted they were putting their faith in the idea that no gods exist. Far more than some silly pretense that they’re undecided when they are decidedly NOT undecided, :)

Faith does not require any realization that God exists. It becomes it’s own realization. All it requires is that we have the courage and clarity to act on whatever idea of God we are placing our faith in. Then we can see the results for ourselves, and alter our position accordingly.
I most definitely could not follow your line of reasoning, and believe in God.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It does somewhat. I can say a Flying Spaghetti Monster, an entity that can be defined, and therefore knowable, cannot be realized. I can also say it doesn’t exist since I have defined it.
We can define Hobbits. That doesn’t mean they exist beyond an abstraction.

An entity without definition doesn’t exist. How then does an atheist put the theist in atheist?
So you think your God couldn’t exist until a human was able to define it?

An atheist can attack the concept itself and say God is unknowable, meaning without definition or undefinable, and can not be realized, meaning evidence for its existence can not be obtained observed.
Yet not even believers in these god can do this. Theists can believe their God exists, but they can’t claim to know it exists. All belief is uncertain and subject to error.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Ok

Do you have an example? And can any of these things you mention be realized?
You’re asking for an example of something we don’t know exists yet? Brilliant. Science reports on discovering new species quite frequently.
I accept God is unknowable and cannot be realized,
Then what exactly is it you are accepting? It’s not a fact of a God existing so it must be you accepting what others have told you about a God existing, and without questioning it. That isn’t what rational minds do.

but I also attempt to know God and realize Him. I hold the first statement as true and attempt to prove it wrong.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The moment you define God you “know” God, or some aspect of God.
False, you know what you imagined. It doesn’t mean the fallible human mind created a God.

Ironically this is exactly what humans have done. They just mistake their imagined gods for reality . In essence the mortal is the creator and God, and the concept it creates is real, because that is what gods can do.

What you describe as unknowable I say cannot be realized.
Right, a sound and lucid mind can’t realize the imaginary. But this is what theists create in their illusions.

GoodAttention

We can define Hobbits. That doesn’t mean they exist beyond an abstraction.
Depends how you define them.
So you think your God couldn’t exist until a human was able to define it?
I am the human and the definer, are you?

Yet not even believers in these god can do this. Theists can believe their God exists, but they can’t claim to know it exists. All belief is uncertain and subject to error.
Agreed.

GoodAttention

False, you know what you imagined. It doesn’t mean the fallible human mind created a God.
Incorrect understanding of what was said, and extrapolation beyond what was defined.

Ironically this is exactly what humans have done. They just mistake their imagined gods for reality . In essence the mortal is the creator and God, and the concept it creates is real, because that is what gods can do.

Right, a sound and lucid mind can’t realize the imaginary. But this is what theists create in their illusions.
This is not a detriment. Your perception of my illusion is your construct.

GoodAttention

You’re asking for an example of something we don’t know exists yet? Brilliant. Science reports on discovering new species quite frequently.
Poor example. This is a consequence of evolution which is established understanding. Every morning bowel movement would then be an example of something that didn’t exist.

Then what exactly is it you are accepting? It’s not a fact of a God existing so it must be you accepting what others have told you about a God existing, and without questioning it. That isn’t what rational minds do.
Wrong. That’s the approach an atheist takes, which is denying what others define as God. There is paucity of rationality that the vocal atheist knows underpins his or her position.