• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

leroy

He already answered you. Nature may not be limited to our universe. If a multiverse exists and was the source of our universe, then that is just another aspect of nature albeit an unfamiliar one to us. You might call the rest of nature extra-universal. You like to say supernatural, but that word carries too much baggage and is incorrect anyway if it implies that outside of the universe is "above nature."
Nobody is affirming that nature is limited to our universe.

All I am saying is that if nature was caused by something, this something had to be “non-natural”………..this is true by definition , if nature was caused by “more preexisting nature” then it wouldn’t be the cause of nature …………this is necessarily true regardless of how you want to define nature

As an analogy, if the first computer was caused by something this “something” by definition has to be a non-computer otherwise it would be the first computer. (the cause of the first computer by definition could have not been a preexisting computer)

Is this so hard to understand? I need some honest feedback…. What am I doing wrong? why is it that nobody is understanding something that in my opinion is very simple?......... how should I Rephrase my argument so that other people can understand it?

leroy

When I tell you that I am agnostic regarding the history and possible origin of our universe, you see that as a semantic trick to shift the burden of proof? Agnosticism is an evolved position whenever we can neither prove nor disprove a hypothesis. The natural tendency seems to be to guess an answer, but where's the value there short of comforting a mind uncomfortable with not guessing? I can tell you the danger of doing that, and I'll bet that you can as well.

Note that agnosticism refers to more than just questions about gods. It's applicable whenever one answers, "I don't know," which is what the roots of the word say - not knowing.
The way I understand the term is that an Agnostic is someone who doesn’t know if God excist or not and is more less on the 50%s rage.

If you affirm that one possition is more likely than the other, I would call you an agnostic and you do have a burden proof………..you have to provide the reasons for why you think that one position is more likeñy than the other

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Yes, maybe……………will you ever address my actual point? Or are you going to repeat your starwman over and over again?

All I am saying is that if the natural world had a cause, this cause would necessarily be non natural.
Of course that would follow if it wasn't obviously silly to suggest a cause for the natural world in the first place, because causation is a part of the natural world. If your God had a God, it would necessarily be a super-God, I guess.

And actually, you've morphed and watered down your initial claim:-

And all of those 32 hypotheses (if they really exist) ether: claim that the universe came from nothing or that it has always existed, (or are open for both possibilities)

My point is that for the there are only 2 possibilities

1 it has always existed

2 it came from nothing
The fact is that, because time and causation are a part of the universe (natural world), the first is a truism, but doesn't mean it is infinite in the past, and the second is nonsensical.

The known laws of science (like the second law of thermodynamics) prohibit an eternal universe………..otherwise the entropy would be near to 100%
And here we see how you're are interpreting the 'always existed' as an infinite past (Newtonian time), as well as showing no understating of entropy. It isn't a percentage, for one thing, it's measured in joules per kelvin.

Will you ever grant or refute this point? Or are we going to have a 100+ post conversation...
Depends on how many times you try to sidestep my points and change your own position.

...where you keep repeating your straw man arguments?
It's not a straw man when you keep moving the goalposts and refusing to address my points in the context in which they were made.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nobody is affirming that nature is limited to our universe. All I am saying is that if nature was caused by something, this something had to be “non-natural”………..this is true by definition , if nature was caused by “more preexisting nature” then it wouldn’t be the cause of nature …………this is necessarily true regardless of how you want to define nature
OK, but I don't think that addresses my point, which was that everything that is causally connected, that is which can affect and be affected by other things, can be called nature. I don't know why you wrote those words.
As an analogy, if the first computer was caused by something this “something” by definition has to be a non-computer otherwise it would be the first computer. (the cause of the first computer by definition could have not been a preexisting computer) Is this so hard to understand? I need some honest feedback…. What am I doing wrong? why is it that nobody is understanding something that in my opinion is very simple?......... how should I Rephrase my argument so that other people can understand it?
No, that isn't hard to understand. The first anything can't be caused by another same thing. It's also a trivial point.

Do you understand what is being written to you? That doesn't seem to address it.

I've commented to you in the past that I have no idea what your reason for writing things you have written - what your larger point or goal was - and we're there again. What are you talking about and why?
The way I understand the term is that an Agnostic is someone who doesn’t know if God excist or not and is more less on the 50%s rage.
An agnostic is somebody who says he doesn't know regarding any question, not just about gods. A religious agnostic doesn't need to give a likelihoods for gods existing, and in fact, has no way to do that. I addressed that yesterday in this post.
If you affirm that one possition is more likely than the other, I would call you an agnostic and you do have a burden proof………..you have to provide the reasons for why you think that one position is more likeñy than the other
Agree. Whatever you assert to be true, you have a burden of "proof" provided that you care if you're believed and you're dealing with somebody who can understand and accept a sound argument. Buit as you just saw if you looked at that link, I don't make such an assertion.
As I've said many times; induction is a characteristic of language and depends on proper definitions, axioms, categories, types, sets, taxonomies, and many other things related to the way we think and not reality. You can induce anything you want but that doesn't make it or any of the abstractions used to get there real.
I'd say that induction is what many animals including humans do automatically, but humans can articulate their inductions with language. My dogs know when it's time to feed them. They learned this by generalizing about prior experience.
Anyone can find observation and fact that fits their beliefs. It's what we do.
Not everybody. One can learn to do better.
What's difficult is finding anomalies and more difficult still is showing how they are relevant. The most difficult is devising experiment to prove anomalies are the reality and not what what we believe. This all runs counter to homo circularis rationatio (the species whom reason in circles).
Now you've lost me again. I am unable to paraphrase this because I don't understand what it is you are saying.
So you believe Planck was wrong or are you saying old men get set in their ways.
Planck was implying that, and he was probably correct to some significant extent. The young Einstein saw what nobody has seen before and what older scientists had difficulty accepting. Decades later, it was Einstein who had trouble with the implications of quantum theory.
Observation and experiment are key but this hardly means that thinking can't arrive at new knowledge.
Pure reason is logic and mathematic, and we call that knowledge, but knowledge about physical reality only comes from observing it (empiricism).
I believe proper observation shows all life is conscious and a defining characteristic of life is that it has free will.
OK. I don't see that, nor does anybody else to my knowledge.
Why don't you argue the point that we see only our beliefs and "empiricism" means nothing except in the abstract?
Are you asking why I don't argue for that or against it? I don't argue for it because it's not my position, and I don't argue against it because frankly, as is so often the case, I really don't know just what you mean. I don't know what "we see only our beliefs" means precisely. Are you referring to confirmation bias? And yes, empiricism is an abstraction, but the term is meaningful to me and most others familiar with it.
I don't know how reality works
Sure you do. That knowledge gets you through your day. You know how to take a shower, how to drive a car, and a lot more.
I am applying experiment and deductive logic intuitively to everything I see and know.
Don't forget induction. There's no deduction without prior induction based in the evidence of those tests.
I reason in circles too but knowing this helps me break out. Knowing this helps me see anomalies and, of course, support for many of my beliefs.
OK. I hope that's true, although I don't know exactly what it is you mean by anomalies in this context.
Even in medicine how many times does a patient see a doctor before getting to the root of the problem and/ or a solution?
That varies with the problem and the physicians involved.
I believe all belief is superstition
Then I don't know what you mean by that word.

And, of course, the comment creates a paradox. If your belief is right then it's also wrong, since it's a superstition.
No. No rules. Rather nature is logic and logic seems to us to follow rules. In a sense it does but they aren't "rules" per se but rather the nature of reality.
Another comment I don't understand you purpose for writing. If all you're saying is that the rules of nature are different from man-made rules, OK. I know that, so why did you want to tell me in this context?
If you literally look in someone's actual eyes you literally see what they are literally looking at. They are attending what you see in their eyes regardless of the perspective. It is what is registering on their brain. It is what they are thinking about.
And again. What are you trying to tell me with this? If this is it, then why did you bother? And if it's on the way toward making a greater point, what point is that? It seems like you post random and irrelevant thoughts to me that don't have value to either of us.

leroy

It's not a straw man when you keep moving the goalposts and refusing to address my points in the context in which they were made.
You made many interesting and important points, but I will not address anything until you explicitly grant (or refute) the point that I made.

Does this represent your view

“yes Leroy granted, if the universe (the natural world) had a cause, this cause necessarily would have to be non-natural …. But the idea of a cause of the natural world is incoherent and/or wrong, andorillogical etc.. because …. (all the arguments that you made”) therefore the universe (natural wordl) didn’t had a cause.

Does this quote represents your view?

Pogo

This would be a miracle because because God is always proving himself to believers as well. It's a miracle that we each see what we expect and are always being proven right by what we see. A shaman can see the bad karma in his patients and then excise them proving his beliefs in good and bad karma. You don't know why gravity doesn't seem to affect the flow of electrons in conductors or why two identically made transistors have distinctly different characteristics. You don't know why most of it works at all or how these "laws of nature" arose but you believe they all come together to allow "science" to invent and program computers to do your bidding. Can you explain how even religious zealots can both use a computer and understand that it works either scientifically or in terms of God's law? Do you believe that no one who believes in the "supernatural" ever contributed to the invention of computers?

You are looking around and seeing everything only in terms of your beliefs as surely as we all do. You believe in omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence and you see the miracles it generates with every gaze at every single thing. You are missing the anomalies and every single thing of which you are ignorant because your eyes are full of beliefs. The ancients said thing we attend to are in the center of our eyes because that it what appears to observers. What is in the center of our eyes is our beliefs. This only changes with experience and then what we know appears in them and almost like magic. Anyone can understand this paragraph by actually reading it, trying to parse it correctly, and taking it literally. But nobody has the time to consider other peoples' words and certainly not those of a crackpot or fools on or off of hills. You've already been composing a response for several sentences now. Of course the response won't address much of anything at all in this post because this post is not really even being read.
There are many believers who understand science who do not require your fallback to majic to understand the physics of today. You are presenting a basic god of the gaps argument to explain that which you do not understand. Ultimately it will fail.

Pogo

...And despite their having said such things linguists overlooked it because it doesn't fit their beliefs. Linguists believe ancient people were less evolved, less human, far more ignorant, and wholly superstitious so they see the same sentence and believe the ancients mustta believed that strange things go on inside the eyes of men and gods. Linguists never even noticed there were no words that meant "belief" in ancient writing. They can't notice because linguists' beliefs get in their own eyes and exclude everything else. This is our species! Homo omniscience sees only its beliefs.

Maybe if linguists knew anything about firing air to air missiles or making computers for quadriplegics they could have correctly parsed such a sentence. A poet might have a better chance understanding Ancient Language than a linguist.

We are a different species than anyone who said such a thing.
Linguistics, yet another thing you know nothing about but insist on polluting with your dogma, I don't even have to be a linguist to recognize that you are just ranting.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I answered that in a previous post when I said I have no idea what the common ancestor is.
Well, early vertebrates. And they do fall into Paraphyletic group. So they are a kind of fish. I mean this is according to evolutionary biologists from the Darwinian stream. Like Haikuichthees. So monkeys did evolve from fish according to the darwinian theory of evolution.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Well, early vertebrates. And they do fall into Paraphyletic group. So they are a kind of fish. I mean this is according to evolutionary biologists from the Darwinian stream. Like Haikuichthees. So monkeys did evolve from fish according to the darwinian theory of evolution.

Great but I'm not sure what that has to do with a conversation I had with another person (which has been on going for about 2 years) who kept asking me if I believed fish morphed into humans. Fish don't morph into humans or anything else.

Pogo

Unfortunately you have misunderstood that post. I was agreeing with the poster who said the earth was first a speck. And, if the Big Bang is true that's what it could have been. I'm not going to argue this, maybe you understand what I said better this time.
No, the universe may once have been a speck but that the earth is the result of accretion of many specks in a different sense says that you are again creating a strawman. *Mod edit*

Last edited by a moderator:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Great but I'm not sure what that has to do with a conversation I had with another person (which has been on going for about 2 years) who kept asking me if I believed fish morphed into humans. Fish don't morph into humans or anything else.
Well, according to the theory, humans "evolved" from fish. I don't know about this "morphed" matter. were you guys talking about a non-gradual evolution of some kind?

Anyway, if you are using the the word morphed informally, it still applies. This is the problem with using casual words so haphazardly. It's still evolution.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Well, according to the theory, humans "evolved" from fish. I don't know about this "morphed" matter. were you guys talking about a non-gradual evolution of some kind?

Couldn't tell you. I try and figure it out but my questions usually go unanswered so I can't work out what they mean or the answer is something I don't understand like "fish are still fish" or "monkeys didn't invent microscopes". By then I get frustrated and the conversation ends for a period of time.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Couldn't tell you. I try and figure it out but my questions usually go unanswered so I can't work out what they mean or the answer is something I don't understand like "fish are still fish" or "monkeys didn't invent microscopes". By then I get frustrated and the conversation ends for a period of time.
As I said, morphed is a casual word people use to kind of replace evolution or "evolved". So he was right. You said "Monkeys are not morphed from fish". That was wrong.

Maybe you thought the word morphed meant something else from your perspective. But if a biologist is walking down the street and was in a mood to speak in just casual speaking language he might say "monkeys morphed from fish". And he would be right.

Anyway man. Thanks for a respectful conversation. I bid you well. Cheers.

Pogo

As I said, morphed is a casual word people use to kind of replace evolution or "evolved". So he was right. You said "Monkeys are not morphed from fish". That was wrong.

Maybe you thought the word morphed meant something else from your perspective. But if a biologist is walking down the street and was in a mood to speak in just casual speaking language he might say "monkeys morphed from fish". And he would be right.

Anyway man. Thanks for a respectful conversation. I bid you well. Cheers.
No morphed does not equal evolved even if it can be used in casual speech that way, Here it is a particular strawman from a particular poster who tries to equivocate reality with her gotcha statements.