• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: does God exist?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Just waiting for believers to see this thread and post their beliefs about how they "know" God exists. That "knowledge" will last until atheists start asking quesions about this "knowledge".

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As one with a 99% non-belief in such (or thereabouts) - given the evidence I have accepted as being most relevant - it would have to be something I couldn't dispute to tip me towards belief, and a personal experience I doubt would do such. :oops:

And God is leaving it late to do so, given I don't believe in the 'seek and ye shall find' attitude - since we might find whatever we were looking for - and then praying to some other (false) god. o_O

PS And I know enough about my own mind to recognise that such (seeking) might even deceive me. :eek:

Last edited:

Enai de a lukal

No, gods do not exist (especially not the Christian one); humans invent gods and not the other way around. The cumulative case for atheism is very strong, making it highly probable atheism is the case. A few lines of argument making up this case:

- the evidential/inductive problem of natural evil
- divine hiddenness
- the empirical falsity of... virtually all extant theological/scriptural claims of any significance
- the incompatibility of religious revelation and mystical experience
- the tight correlation between religious commitment and geography/upbringing
- the explanatory success of physical cosmology
- atheism as a logical consequence of naturalism, physicalism
- the unsoundness of every argument of natural theology
- the sociological/evolutionary origin of religion and the psychological functions it upholds

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This is like asking a blind man if a rainbow exists. You might get some interesting answers, but none based on first hand knowledge or experience.

Well yeah, because o first hand evidence exists

And... Im not sure you are atheist as per the thread title

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Since the question has been posed to theists, I figured another thread for everyone else might be illuminating.

So... what do you think, atheists? Does God exist?
To cut it short and avoid the usual response of "which god?" I'll rephrase your question to "does any god exist?". And for this purpose I'll define as a god some entity that "exists" unconfined to the universe and which created and controls the universe and is at least able to intervene inside the universe one way or the other.

My answer is that it doesn't look it. It seems quite unlikely.

Since the question has been posed to theists, I figured another thread for everyone else might be illuminating.

So... what do you think, atheists? Does God exist?
It's a very ill-defined question and open to interpretation and thus probably a very interesting forum question.

The Big Bang theory posits that the universe began from an extremely dense and hot state. If a concentration of matter becomes sufficiently dense, it can lead to the formation of a black hole, where space-time is so curved that not even light can escape. The Big Bang, however, was not a black hole; instead, it was the event that initiated the expansion of space-time itself. According to the theory, time and space as we understand them began with the Big Bang and did not exist before that event.

Perhaps the laws of physics evolve based on the universe they are allowed to play in. If there was no time before the Big Bang then what is god? The entity that clapped his hands to set it all in motion and is just now standing back watching us? (I guess I am anthropomorphizing god to have human hands?) Are we just a seeded simulation of many other simulations? I don't think I can answer the question accurately. (Probably why I lean more towards agnosticism these days)

I hope all is well.