• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ATHEISTS: What is the meaning of existence?

Photonic

Ad astra!
Evolution would tell us that reproduction is the meaning of our existence. It's not wrong, but while my existence was not given an innate purpose I am capable of giving myself one.

My purpose is to drive science and technology through the roof, yo.

JMR105

The meaning of 'existence' to me, is just to enjoy life, be a good citizen and show love to my friends and family.

Probably the same as any good christian really. It's just that I refuse to surrender my mind and critical faculties to a 'supernatural' belief. To paraphrase Hitchens, "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence".

In my opinion human decency precedes religion.

I don't need moral guidance from a series anonymously-written, non eyewitness, contradictory texts which have been re-hashed and reinterpreted over the centuries!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
doppelgänger;1043235 said:
if you are unconscious you can easily choke to death on your own tongue if lying down. Yet you don't when you sleep. The reason is that your brain will kick in and wake or partially wake you to move your tongue if the air supply alarm goes off. That process is what typically causes "sleep apnea."

You cannot choke on your tongue* nor is it primarily responsible for sleep apnea with some exception towards cases involving an abnormally enlarged tongue. Typically, Its due to collapsible tissue found inside the throat, and is called Obstructive sleep apnea.

Central sleep apnea or Cheyne-Stokes resperation is a systemic problem originating from the brain's control center that happens to be imbalenced causing you to stop breathing intermittently. You dont typically wake up during this, although breathing noteably increases afterward to increase the oxygen supply.

I'm not a medical professional myself, yet I happen to work at a hospital. :D

*Its a medical myth. Ask your doctor.

The Neo Nerd

ATHEISTS only please. WHAT is the meaning of existence to you, or does existence have any meaning or purpose?

Considering the sheer impersonality and indifference existence shows us, then i would have to say the base meaning of existence is nothing or better yet non-existence.

Meaning is an emergent property of consciousness which means that we ourselves give our life meaning.

The meaning i give to life is to leave it a better place than when i entered it.

arcanum

I'm quite sure it's only humans who are tortured by such thoughts. Squirrel's, whales, spiders..they don't ponder the meaning of existence they know the meaning of existence.

cablescavenger

Existence would be excellent in itself, but the fact that we comprehend it, appreciate it and understand just how fortunate we are to experience it is truly awe inspiring.