• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes pointing to the sky

Ogbomosho

I've noticed that several players point to the sky after they hit a home run or after some other remarkable occurrence in a baseball game. The players who do this are typically Latin American players. What exactly does this mean and why is it typical only among Latin American players?

I believe they are thanking God for helping them play well. This, to me, is just a sports player trying to look cool. If God does indeed help sports players, then technically, any human could hit a 450 yard home run with God's help. I am almost positive I will never be able to do this. Why does God only help certain people play sports? You also never see an athlete make any 'religious' gesture or motion when they loose. Why is that?

Ogbomosho

LeaderNotFollower said:
I believe they are thanking God for helping them play well.
If they are thanking God, then they must be believers. And according to believers, God isn't just up above, but is everywhere. Thus it would make more sense for the players to point in all directions and not just up.

This, to me, is just a sports player trying to look cool.
It sure seems that way to me.

If God does indeed help sports players, then technically, any human could hit a 450 yard home run with God's help.
If true, then why does God draw the line where he does?

Why does God only help certain people play sports?
I don't think God helps. Some people are born with the propensity to be good ballplayers. And those who act on it are successful.

You also never see an athlete make any 'religious' gesture or motion when they loose. Why is that?
Very good question. Perhaps we'll get an answer in here.

Ceridwen018

It's definately to give thanks to god. I suppose they point upwards because that is the traditionally accepted direction of heaven...and it would be pretty difficult to point everywhere, hehe.

As for why they don't point when bad things happen? Well, its not just in sports that you see god getting out of the blame for negative things. Personally, I think that if god is responsible for the good, he's responsible for the bad as well.

tumble_weed

yah good points...

speaking of points...I don't believe in god but I still point upwards...it's a good direction...It doesn't necessarily have religious connotations...i think you people might be reading too much into this....for example sometimes I strech my arms upwards....but I'm not thanking God for cramps...

Ogbomosho

Ceridwen018 said:
It's definately to give thanks to god. I suppose they point upwards because that is the traditionally accepted direction of heaven...and it would be pretty difficult to point everywhere, hehe.
So if they were on the opposite side of the globe, they would point down? After all if you point up to point to a certain thing, you would have to point down to point to that same thing if you were on the other side of the globe.

Me Myself

Back to my username
God may be everywhere, but most people still have maiasociation with "up" mostly from the "who are in heaven" I would think.

Sultan Of Swing

I believe they are thanking God for helping them play well. This, to me, is just a sports player trying to look cool. If God does indeed help sports players, then technically, any human could hit a 450 yard home run with God's help. I am almost positive I will never be able to do this. Why does God only help certain people play sports? You also never see an athlete make any 'religious' gesture or motion when they loose. Why is that?

Different people have different gifts. Sports players who point their hands to the sky are the ones that acknowledge their gift is from God.