• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attending Service This Sunday

powder21

Always Changing
I will be attending services this Sunday at my local congregation. It will be my very first visit to a UU congregation. I am a little worried about the fact that my best attire consists of jeans, tennis shoes, an "under shirt" and a button up t-shirt to go over it which I can no longer button up :) I get the feeling that nobody is going to knock me for what I'm wearing, but just out of curiosity, how much of a "fish out of water" will I feel like?

Also, I will be attending service alone and I am typically pretty shy and nervous around a crowd (a crowd being like 3 or more people). Are UU's typically pretty good about helping the new people to introduce themselves and to feel more welcome and at ease?

Runt

Your best attire is certainly appropriate. I'm a worship associate and I've been in the pulpit in jeans and a t'shirt (I get away with this by virtue of my youth... I haven't seen other WAs try it hehe, but even they dress comparatively casually for individuals in church leadership positions). MOST of the people who are at the church will be dressed casually. It is generally only the elderly who dress up, and even they are not in what you would typically call "Sunday best".

Also, we make an attempt to be a welcoming community and to engage visitors and make them feel comfortable. If you were to visit my congregation, you would perhaps be greeted by the "ambassadors", who would welcome you, answer any questions you have, and perhaps ask you to sign the guest registry. During the service (at the very beginning) you may be asked with any other visitors to stand, so that members of the congregation might see you, recognize you as a visitor, and thus meet with you after the service during what is referred to in many congregations as our "coffee hour".

powder21

Always Changing
Thank you so much. I'm far less worried about it now. I'm still a little nervous, but that's more of the "I can't wait to see what the congregation's all about" nervous.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Yay! I hope you have a wonderful time there. :) Runt pretty much covered new member/visitor concerns, but every UU Church I've been to makes an effort to welcome their anyone new.

And you'll fit right in, no matter what you wear. I go to my church wearing hijab and I'm treated just like anyone else there, I even get "assalamu alaykum" from time to time. :D

robtex

Veteran Member
I will be attending services this Sunday at my local congregation. It will be my very first visit to a UU congregation. I am a little worried about the fact that my best attire consists of jeans, tennis shoes, an "under shirt" and a button up t-shirt to go over it which I can no longer button up :)

that is perfect!! That is what everybody else will likely be wearing. If you dig coffee that is even better!!! Be sure to post on here after you have gone and tell us all about it!

docma

I will be attending services this Sunday at my local congregation. It will be my very first visit to a UU congregation. I am a little worried about the fact that my best attire consists of jeans, tennis shoes, an "under shirt" and a button up t-shirt to go over it which I can no longer button up :) I get the feeling that nobody is going to knock me for what I'm wearing, but just out of curiosity, how much of a "fish out of water" will I feel like?

Also, I will be attending service alone and I am typically pretty shy and nervous around a crowd (a crowd being like 3 or more people). Are UU's typically pretty good about helping the new people to introduce themselves and to feel more welcome and at ease?
You will be in exactly the right place. We don't worry about stuff like that.

docma

All UU congregations are different - some more friendly than others. If you see someone who looks interesting just go up and say, "Hi, I'm new. How does this all work?" They'll probably give you a job.