• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australian Prime Minister says, Faith-based political parties would 'undermine social cohesion'

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
No she quit, they may have asked her to leave but she didn't have to quit, she could have said no.

And she knows if she did quit, she wouldn't have the opportunity of still being in the Senate, so what do you think of those actions? I think it's weak.

She should have made some rumblings within the party, and get some more on side but she decided to publicly side with the 'enemy'
Side with the enemy, what nonsense is that

danieldemol

Premium Member
Why would that necessarily be the case?
Well if you aren't aiming for theocratic political advantage for your religion the only need to enter your faith into politics that I can think of would be to defend it from political attacks not founded in reason, however I believe that is not the case here as the Greens stand for Palestinian lives, so really with support for Muslims amongst the left what need for an exclusively religious party?

In other words to answer your question more directly, in an Australian context the only reason to form a faith based party is to force one's faith onto others, which would necessarily undermine social cohesion in my view.

Madsaac

Well if you aren't aiming for theocratic political advantage for your religion the only need to enter your faith into politics that I can think of would be to defend it from political attacks not founded in reason, however I believe that is not the case here as the Greens stand for Palestinian lives, so really with support for Muslims amongst the left what need for an exclusively religious party?

In other words to answer your question more directly, in an Australian context the only reason to form a faith based party is to force one's faith onto others, which would necessarily undermine social cohesion in my view.

Yes issues like Palestine would move faster within the major parties. And, can you imagine if we ended up with a number of different little faith/cultural based parties. Everyone with their own specific agendas, nothing would get done in the end