• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back problems?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I had severe back pain for 19 years before I finally let a neurosurgeon to do a laminectomy on 3 of my lumbar vertebrae. The result was miraculous, and for about 7 years I was pain free. (I have some arthritis in my spine, causing bone spurs to grow and put pressure on the spinal nerves. The laminectomy removes the back part of the spinal bones called the lamina.)

Unfortunately, the arthrities is still causing bone spurs to grow, so I'm back to pain now -- and no surgeon is going to do another surgery on the same area of my spine, so I've got it for however much longer I have to live.

The really bad part is that it restricts my ability to move and exercise, which means I'm getting fatter, which I hate. I can deal with pain more easily than I can deal with the extra weight.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Small calcification within the lower pole of the left renal silhouette suggesting small stone.​
Vertebral body heights and alignment within normal limits.​
Advanced degenerative disc space narrowing throughout the entirety of the lumbar spine with posterior osteophytes at L1-L2, L2-L3, L3-L4 and L5-S1.​
Suspected high-grade stenosis of the L4-L5 and L5-S1 foramen but limited on this exam.​
Clinically correlate with patient's symptoms.​
Multilevel degenerative facet arthropathy.​
Sacroiliac joints unremarkable as visualized.​
If patient has symptoms of radiculopathy consider MRI.​
The last time I had my back x-rayed.
I go next week to hear what the doctor knows and find out his recommendations for the next step.
I am currently on 900mg of Neurontin three times a day.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Small calcification within the lower pole of the left renal silhouette suggesting small stone.​
Advanced degenerative disc space narrowing throughout the entirety of the lumbar spine with posterior osteophytes at L1-L2, L2-L3, L3-L4 and L5-S1.​
Suspected high-grade stenosis of the L4-L5 and L5-S1 foramen but limited on this exam.​
I go next week to hear what the doctor knows and find out his recommendations for the next step.
I am unfamiliar with that medical terminology but that doesn't sound good

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well that definitely looks like a candidate for laminectomy! Let me tell you, I'd do it again in a heart-beat if I could. I found the surgery and recovery really easy, and the relief I got was truly monumental.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I am unfamiliar with that medical terminology but that doesn't sound good
lol
Neither am I.
So hopefully i will have a better understanding of what it all means after talking to my doctor next week.

I am assuming it is real bad seeing as I was told by a couple of nurse friends of my wife (she is a CNA) said that my starting dose is rather high.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Well that definitely looks like a candidate for laminectomy! Let me tell you, I'd do it again in a heart-beat if I could. I found the surgery and recovery really easy, and the relief I got was truly monumental.
i have no idea what that is and I will NOT be looking it up until AFTER my appointment next week.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
massive herniated degenerate and now missing discs, arthritis, pinched nerves...constant but variable pain, mostly between 5 and 9 on a 10-point scale, with occasional diversions high and low.

Exercise would help, but the pain is difficult to exercise through/with, so not enough of that. Tylenol and a muscle relaxer provides some measure of relief. Also ice and sometimes heat.

Prognosis is continued decline over time.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
massive herniated degenerate and now missing discs, arthritis, pinched nerves...constant but variable pain, mostly between 5 and 9 on a 10-point scale, with occasional diversions high and low.

Exercise would help, but the pain is difficult to exercise through/with, so not enough of that. Tylenol and a muscle relaxer provides some measure of relief. Also ice and sometimes heat.

Prognosis is continued decline over time.
You have my sympathy -- I share your prognosis. Ah, well, we must try to be philosophical about it, I suppose.

And yes, Tylenol and I are good friends! :glomp:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Damaged my back three times as an active athletic teenager, and occasional strains from hard physical labor during my twenties and early thirties, so yes, by the time I was 40 I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. I did the cortisone injections off and on for 15 years and then decided no more. By this time I had already damaged a shoulder and had cortisone injection for that too.

Now the back issues are keeping company with shoulders, neck, hands, and hips. Knees are holding good and ankles do well in the correct shoes for the task. I'm still doing as much as I can, just not as long at a time, nor as often. My treatment depends on the severity of my overachiever pains. I rode the lawnmower yesterday, and trimmed a row of hedges, but I did get a friend's grandson to bag the trimmings for me as I raked them up. So last night was a stiff cocktail just before bed kinda night.

Last week after two afternoons of power washing the porch and decking, it was two days of Tylenol every 6 hours and finally chewing a gummy on the weekend. That relaxed everything but the neck.

Getting old is so much FUN! And I love it! As long as I don't fall again. That just takes too long to recover from. I figure if I'm hurting (a little) I know I'm alive.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In was born with a spina bifida of my 5th lumbar vertebrae. I didn't know until my late teens. It does explain why i walk with a ramrod straight back and dance like a rusty robot. Otherwise not a problem.

I damaged the muscles on each side of my spine in the centre of my back. Weekly kinesiotherapy was keeping it under control until a prolonged icu say where i had to lie on my back immobile for 10 days. After that the kinio just aggravated it to the point of agony. I wound up with nsaid creams and izalgi tablets (paracetamol and opium) for when the pain gets too intense.

Thirdly i am just beginning with arthritis in my upper spine.

Face it, im a total wreck

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Small calcification within the lower pole of the left renal silhouette suggesting small stone.Vertebral body heights and alignment within normal limits.Advanced degenerative disc space narrowing throughout the entirety of the lumbar spine with posterior osteophytes at L1-L2, L2-L3, L3-L4 and L5-S1.Suspected high-grade stenosis of the L4-L5 and L5-S1 foramen but limited on this exam.Clinically correlate with patient's symptoms.Multilevel degenerative facet arthropathy.Sacroiliac joints unremarkable as visualized.If patient has symptoms of radiculopathy consider MRI.
[Retired internist here]

They noted a likely small kidney stone (It will probably be ignored if you have no symptoms or lab tests suggesting a problem there)

The bones of your spinal column are not collapsed or misaligned, but the spaces between them where the discs are found are all narrowed (disc desiccation).

There are multiple bone spurs in the low (lumbar) spine on the backside.

The passage for the spinal cord to pas through appears narrowed in the low back (this will likely be investigated further with an MRI if your symptoms suggest that the low spinal cord is compressed).

There is arthritis noted in the joints of the spinal column (facets):

1718460211192.png