• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bad Karma

vandervalley

It says do not harm a living being; do not kill or cause others to kill. It does NOT say do not eat meat. The meat of animals that have already been killed and who were not killed for your sake is ok to eat.

But can you agree that by eating meat you will eventually have to pay back to the animals u ate?

koan

Karma is Karma. The idea of Buddhism is to escsape the cycle of birth and death. wheather one creates good or bad Karma, Karma must be played out untill no Karma is left, then one can enter parnirvana. The only way to avoid Karma, is to be enlightened so as to realise how to escape the wheel.

vandervalley

Pay back? Dare I ask what you mean by this?

Such as the fact that the action of eating meat will incur bad karma;
Can u agree that eating meat will incur bad karma; no matter what ur initial intentions maybe.

koan

The playing out of Karma is like a balance sheet you weigh the good against the bad and the balance is what occurs in your next rebirth. Eating meat that was prepared for that purpose e.g. Beef cattle, creates Karma. Eating meat from a animal accidentally killed, is not Karma.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
vandervalley said:
Such as the fact that the action of eating meat will incur bad karma;
Can u agree that eating meat will incur bad karma; no matter what ur initial intentions maybe.
No, I can't.

vandervalley

Eating meat from a animal accidentally killed, is not Karma.

How often do u eat meat from animals accidentally killed?
Also; is it fair to say that eating meat bought from the shops add to the demand of meat thus commiting sins of killing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
bigvindaloo said:
Hi, I just finished eating a steak. It tasted so good I've got another on now cooking. At the same time I find myself thinking about the animal I am eating, hence this thread. I know Tibetan Buddhists eat meat. Is it bad karma. More specifically, what is bad karma?
Karma is what is, so there's no such thing as bad karma.

Dharma, on the other hand, is something to watch for.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
vandervalley said:
so will those who eat meat eventually have to let other's eat them in the afterlifes?
Even if that were true, it wouldn't particularly bother me.