• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Flag Burning?

ch'ang

artist in training
To ban flag burning is the first step towards banning distaste towards the government, if you are not allowed to not like the government what then? Also just because you don’t like what someone is saying does not give you the right to make it illegal for them to say it.

standing_alone

I have no problem with flag burning. Of course, I've burned the U.S. flag before, so I guess I wouldn't. :D I think burning the flag is an extension of speech, and therefore, banning flag burning is a violation of freedom of speech.

Cerrax

That One Guy
Samara said:
Also, i have heard that in America, when a flag touches the ground, it is burned. As a patriotic person, this custom seems odd to me. Could someone provide some more insight please :D

As an Eagle Scout and an active memebr of a local Boy Scout troop, I can tell you that yes the American Flag is not supposed to touch the ground. If it does, proper procedure is to simply pick it up and dust it off. Only old worn flags are to be burned.

The proper flag-burning is that the flag is to be folded tri-fold (like a paper football) then laid upon kindling and lit. Usually Taps or Retire The Colors is played on a Bugle and if the flag is of major importance (such as the last remaining flag from a battle) there may be a twenty-one gun salute.

The American Flag is an ultimate symbol of pride, strength and compassion. It is treated in almost the same manner as a soldier. It is honored and cared for just as if it was a regular person. The flag is raised every morning by the Colorguard with a bugle playing Assembley. At night, it is lowered and removed by the Colorguard while a bugle plays Retire The Colors. A flag must never touch teh ground, never be put away in a wad. It is always stored in tri-fold fashion. A flag should not be flown in inclement weather conditions such as freezing rain, hail or heavy blizzard. This ritual is a simple act of patriotism and I find it very honorable to follow this procedure.

standing_alone

The proper flag-burning is that the flag is to be folded tri-fold (like a paper football) then laid upon kindling and lit. Usually Taps or Retire The Colors is played on a Bugle and if the flag is of major importance (such as the last remaining flag from a battle) there may be a twenty-one gun salute.
It's really sad that a rectangle of fabric gets a better "funeral" than many human beings do.

The American Flag is an ultimate symbol of pride, strength and compassion.
Not to everybody.

This ritual is a simple act of patriotism and I find it very honorable to follow this procedure.
Why is this a patriotic act? It seems like mere, symbolic nonsense to me.

I used to not care either way until someone put it to me this way:

What value does the flag have if you are FORCED to be respectful of it? The very fact that you CAN burn it makes it worth revering.

I agree with that. If we were forced to be patriotic that would be dictatorship, fascism.

Ormiston

JillianMarie77 said:
I used to not care either way until someone put it to me this way:

What value does the flag have if you are FORCED to be respectful of it? The very fact that you CAN burn it makes it worth revering.

I agree with that. If we were forced to be patriotic that would be dictatorship, fascism.
Perfect.