• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning ‘Woke’ Words in State Documents, Arkansas Governor Signs Executive Order

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
My question is .... If one looks the part, why would they need their preferred pronoun on their name tag?
I don't know and honestly I don't really care. I'm sure different people have different reasons.
Why would Sally want/need her preferred pronouns on her name tag? That's kind of like letting the cat out of the bag isnt it?
What cat and what bag?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The whole thing is confusing when it leads to a state where nobody knows is the person being referred to is biologically male or female imo.
Of the terms listed, specifically which ones did you find confusing?

Brian2

Veteran Member
Of the terms listed, specifically which ones did you find confusing?

“birth-giver,” “womxn,” “womyn,” “laboring person,” “birthing person,”

I would not know if "womxn" and "womyn" were singular or plural or if they referred to a biological male or female.
I would presume in the context of this thread, that the others refer to a woman in labour, but labouring person might refer to someone just working hard and birthing person might refer to the baby being born.

We Never Know

No Slack
I don't know and honestly I don't really care. I'm sure different people have different reasons.

What cat and what bag?

"What cat and what bag"

As I stated, none know she's a transgender female. Having her preferred pronouns on her name tag is IMO advertising to everyone that she is transgender. Which according to you is no ones business and opens her up for ridicule.

Shadow Wolf

"What cat and what bag"

As I stated, none know she's a transgender female. Having her preferred pronouns on her name tag is IMO advertising to everyone that she is transgender. Which according to you is no ones business and opens her up for ridicule.
No, some cis people do the preferred pronouns thing and nothing inherent in that a trans person must use them or that usage indicates someone is trans.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
"What cat and what bag"

As I stated, none know she's a transgender female. Having her preferred pronouns on her name tag is IMO advertising to everyone that she is transgender.
My wife recently started work in a national chain shop. For her standard issue name badge she was asked what preferred pronoun she wanted under her name. She is not transgender.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
My wife recently started work in a national chain shop. For her standard issue name badge she was asked what preferred pronoun she wanted under her name. She is not transgender.

I think a good response to the pronouns question is: "Sorry, I'm not religious"

We Never Know

No Slack
My guess would be its policy for transgenders in the work place.
As far as I'm aware its transgenders that have preferred pronouns.
One would think the names such as Sally, Mary, Debbie, Bob, Richard, Steve, etc would be a no brainer on their pronouns without having it on their name badge.

But in cases like this transgender female, they might want their preferred pronoun on their name badge to avoid the confusion.
IMG_20231028_120630.jpg

Last edited:

Secret Chief

Degrow!
My guess would be its policy for transgenders in the work place.
It's policy for ALL its employees. That was my point.

As far as I'm aware its transgenders that have preferred pronouns.
Your awareness is behind the times then. As per my example. If you worked for the same company you would be asked if you wanted your pronoun on your badge.

Company website (from 2022):

Name Badges
Customers can easily identify the languages spoken by colleagues and how they’d like to be addressed, following the roll out of new name badges for colleagues.The new and improved name badges details everything from their length of employment, to informing customers if they are hard of hearing to, obviously, their name. The badges are now made from recyclable material, making them better for the planet. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive organisation where everyone is welcome. Making our customers and colleagues feel that they can be themselves is important to us and our improved name badges will only help to encourage this. The new look badges, created following colleague feedback, are made from recyclable material and carry optional inclusions – preferred pronouns and name, the hard of hearing sign and flags to represent languages spoken – and will help us to provide a better service to our customers.”

One would think the names such as Sally, Mary, Debbie, Bob, Richard, Steve, etc would be a no brainer on their pronouns without having it on their name badge.
A person's name does not identify as to if a person is transgender, nor the person's preferred pronoun.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack

Your awareness is behind the times then. As per my example. If you worked for the same company your pronoun would be on your badge.

A person's name does not identify as to if a person is transgender, nor the person's preferred pronoun.

"Your awareness is behind the times then. As per my example. If you worked for the same company your pronoun would be on your badge."

And why do you think that has became policy?

"A person's name does not identify as to if a person is transgender, nor the person's preferred pronoun."

If Sam is now Sally,
Bob is now Roberta,
Mark is now Mary,
Darrell is now Debbie,,,
it looks to me like they changed their names because of being transgender, to go with their gender, and those names they changed to are pretty obvious tp what pronoun they prefer.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yours was the appropriate response that I couldn't think of.
I wonder how many who oppose accommodating preferred
pronouns are fundie Christians or other religions mired in
pre iron age scripture.
From a secular standpoint, I don't see big problems.

We Never Know

No Slack

Your awareness is behind the times then. As per my example. If you worked for the same company you would be asked if you wanted your pronoun on your badge.

Company website (from 2022):

Name Badges
Customers can easily identify the languages spoken by colleagues and how they’d like to be addressed, following the roll out of new name badges for colleagues.The new and improved name badges details everything from their length of employment, to informing customers if they are hard of hearing to, obviously, their name. The badges are now made from recyclable material, making them better for the planet. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive organisation where everyone is welcome. Making our customers and colleagues feel that they can be themselves is important to us and our improved name badges will only help to encourage this. The new look badges, created following colleague feedback, are made from recyclable material and carry optional inclusions – preferred pronouns and name, the hard of hearing sign and flags to represent languages spoken – and will help us to provide a better service to our customers.”

I see you changed..

"If you worked for the same company your pronoun would be on your badge."

To

"If you worked for the same company you would be asked if you wanted your pronoun on your badge."

I'm guessing its a newer policy. Why would you think such a policy would be needed?

Other than transgenders, how many others make preferred pronouns I want to be called an issue?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Yours was the appropriate response that I couldn't think of.
I wonder how many who oppose accommodating preferred
pronouns are fundie Christians or other religions mired in
pre iron age scripture.
From a secular standpoint, I don't see big problems.
Nor did lots of preiron age people. It's only when the West decided everything must be either-or and there is a proper way to be and a wrong way to be. We even have evidence that earlier, even Medieval, Christians didn't have an issue with it like people today who think nature and the cosmos gave us clear cut and black and white.

Shadow Wolf

And @Revoltingest

If you support trans people, don't you have to support the idea of "gendered souls"? If not, how do you explain the basic claim of "being born in the wrong body"?
No. It's absurd to think belief in a soul is required. Lets keep it in science and medicine, not go to the realm of supernatural and superstition.