• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptism doctrine, which way?

Firstborner

Seems every church and person has their own distinct notions of baptism. The Catholics perform child sprinklings, the Baptist adult immersion, the Mormons for even the dead. Some deny it is even important at all. What are your beliefs concerning baptism and why?

Firstborner

As for me, and the church I belong to, we follow the Baptist principle of adult immersion, but add the laying on of hands afterwards.

Azekual

Lost
Christ was baptized, why not you too. It's a 5 second ritual, and if Christ needed to be baptized, you probably need it too.

Firstborner

Christ was baptized, why not you too. It's a 5 second ritual, and if Christ needed to be baptized, you probably need it too.

But by whom? In what manner? For example Christ was baptized in the river Jordon. So do I need to be baptized in that same river? Or any river? Or any natural body of water? Or would a horse trough do? Do I need to be dunked 3 times? In the name of Jesus only, or the name of all three? Will a sponge bath do? Does it have to be by a minister ordained by so and so for this high office in denomination XY?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Baptism is the initiatory sacrament of Christian life and a normative necessity, and as such I believe it is shouldn't be withheld from anyone, regardless of age. Baptism is normally performed by a priest, but in an emergency anyone can perform one, baptised or not, as long as they desire to do what the Church does and uses the Trinitarian formula.

The Catholics perform child sprinklings
It depends on the parish, the last two I went to had a full immersion baptismal.

Azekual

Lost
But by whom? In what manner? For example Christ was baptized in the river Jordon. So do I need to be baptized in that same river? Or any river? Or any natural body of water? Or would a horse trough do? Do I need to be dunked 3 times? In the name of Jesus only, or the name of all three? Will a sponge bath do? Does it have to be by a minister ordained by so and so for this high office in denomination XY?

a priest/pastor would be preferable. I'm sure a horse though would do if you had nothing else (Jesus was born in a barn for God's sake). Jesus would do but if you are feeling the need to do three dunks then that would work quite well too.
However if you were really into symbolism you could do it in the Jordan, three times, with the Pope.

Firstborner

A christian. The forgiveness is not of the baptizer, but from the one in whose name the act is done. Full immersion is how I was baptized, and I believe that is the scripturally prescribed method.

Was it in the name of Jesus Only, or in the name of the trinity? What denomination if I may ask? I agree that who baptizes you has nothing to do with Salvation/Forgiveness. But does someone still have to be called to baptize?

Many Sages One Truth

Seems every church and person has their own distinct notions of baptism. The Catholics perform child sprinklings, the Baptist adult immersion, the Mormons for even the dead. Some deny it is even important at all. What are your beliefs concerning baptism and why?

I believe that Baptism is a sacrament in the most literal sense of the word- an outward sign of an inward grace. Baptism is not just in physical water, but also in spirit. The physical water is just an outward sign that gives our limited minds a focus point of the mystery.

A person can be baptized and totally miss the significance of it. This is okay, God's grace in the act is not reliant on our failings or inability to understand, and one need not be baptized more then once.

Baptism to me is when we wake up, become aware of Christ within us, and we within Christ. This is called being baptized unto Christ, and putting on the mind of Christ. One does not need to be physically baptized in water to do this, but the sacrament is show of faith and obedience to the teachings of Jesus.

It is because Baptism is symbolic of enlightenment (by knowledge/gnosis) that I think education on the true significance of Baptism is important. You don't want to get baptized without understanding the spiritual mystery of the sacrament.

I believe that Baptism should be pursued by all Christians in obedience, and that if a person dies unbaptized, but had the intention of being baptized, they are baptized by the desire.

Firstborner

In the name of the Trinity. I don't consider myself to be a part of any denomination, but if it helps, we call ourselves a Church of Christ. May I ask what precisely you mean by "called?"

We are not denominational either, associated churches have went by differing names at differing times, the most prevalent being Church of the First Born, Followers of Christ, or Free Brethren, none of which should be considered identical to other churches carrying same or similar names. Most outsiders referred to us as the Kissers, McDonaldites or Colverites, but we have just always referred to ourselves as Brethren.

By called I mean when a person is called of God, through whatever means, and ordained as a minister by a congregation. The group I associate with allows any baptized member, to baptize another provided that person believes in his calling and it is done in the sight of the church.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Sprinkling seems wussy and baptizing the dead sounds ridiculous. Dunking/Immersion is similar to a torture technique, and therefore requires actual faith to pull off.

Immersion all the way.

Firstborner

Sprinkling seems wussy and baptizing the dead sounds ridiculous. Dunking/Immersion is similar to a torture technique, and therefore requires actual faith to pull off.

Immersion all the way.

I can agree with that, probably because I have never been exposed to either baptism for the dead or sprinkling. But I wonder, does staying under longer in the case of immersion imply greater faith?

Many Sages One Truth

Baptism by pouring is admissable as it was practiced by the Apostles and early Bishops, and we have enough early Christian literature to attest to this. There is an account of Peter being on a boat one time, and baptizing the captain. He wasn't about to get in the ocean, so he had water drawn up and baptized the captain by pouring over the head three times.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I can agree with that, probably because I have never been exposed to either baptism for the dead or sprinkling. But I wonder, does staying under longer in the case of immersion imply greater faith?
Probably not. It's the initial drop into the water that's the shocker, especially if they're anything like my old church and dunk you three times in quick succession.

Firstborner

Baptism by pouring is admissable as it was practiced by the Apostles and early Bishops, and we have enough early Christian literature to attest to this.

I have read about pouring in some early church literature, but do you have any sources that the Apostles or their immediate followers used it for anything other than extreme necessity? I have not read any where that it was an early preferable method.