• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basic principles of Advaita Vedanta?

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
What am I composed of (energy, physical energy)? And what all other things in the universe are composed of (again energy, physical energy)? Then, is not Brahman (energy, physical energy) my 'self'? Am I, or can I be anything else.

Please note: I write 'energy, physical energy' to stress the point that it is not some kind of divine energy. A poster described my belief as materialistic monism.
So what kind of energy is it? Is it conscious or just plain energy where everything occurs randomly?

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
I find Advaita intriguing but I am struggling to understand the basic principles.

Is it basically a form of monism or non-dualism, where there is only Brahman and no Atman? And is reincarnation involved?

I appreciate there will be different interpretations and nuances, but I'm hoping we can focus on basic principles.
The basic principles of Advaita involves Brahman, Aatman and reincarnation.As Spider makes web out of itself in similar way Brahman creates, from Brahman comes Prakrati and Aatman. From Prakrati comes five elements. Aatman together with these elements forms creation. Dharma sustains this creation and karma results in reincarnation. At this point Aatman even after being Brahman cannot be said so as it lack omniscience and omnipresence of Brahman. But once it receives the knowledge of self or Brahmagyan it goes back to its source.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So what kind of energy is it? Is it conscious or just plain energy where everything occurs randomly?
Plain energy (electricity, heat, light, magnetism, etc.), IMHO. Events happen according to chance and probability. But then, it is not the majority view which I have nothing against. Only that this works for me, floats my boat.

Sumit

Sanatana Dharma
But then, it is not the majority view which I have nothing against. Only that this works for me, floats my boat.
Quite defensive and over cautious in explaining lol :p , Aupmanyav ji you always remind me of someone close :D

mus

There's Brahman/Atma (Astika)
There's not Brahman/Atma (Nastika-Buddhists)
Brahman is there and also Brahman is not there (Mishra-Vadi)
Brahman is one with Atma (Inferior advaita)
Brahman is not one with Atma (Dualistics)
Brahman is one with atma and also it is not one with Atma ( Bhedabheda)

All these are superimpositions on Brahman and are imagined on the true basis of absolute truth. (This is the highest aspect of advaita)

I registered just to say thank you for this. I've never heard it said this way before and it is helpful. So thank you. <3

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I wish I understood that. ;)
Does science mention anything other than energy at the time of Big-Bang? The universe and all things contained in it, including Dark Matter and Dark Energy, are that only. Nothing else. No other thing exists. And we all are that. Where is the question of a God?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Does science mention anything other than energy at the time of Big-Bang? The universe and all things contained in it, including Dark Matter and Dark Energy, are that only. Nothing else. No other thing exists. And we all are that. Where is the question of a God?

You sound like a materialist, which is fine. But then why bother with Hinduism at all?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
My old question - what is material and what is non-material? Hinduism, because without it I will flaunder like a ship in high seas, a blindfolded man on New Delhi streets (which has some of the worst drivers in the world). :)