• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beef and Barley soup

Booko

Deviled Hen
Here's what I made for dinner the other night:

BEEF AND BARLEY SOUP

1-2 lbs stew meat
1 med onion, diced
2 c. beef broth
1 c. carrots, sliced or diced
1 c. celery, diced
1/2 c. green beans, cut (fresh or frozen)
1 can diced or stewed tomatoes, or 1 c. fresh tomatoes, diced
1/2 c. barley
1 t. marjoram
1. t. (savory)
Salt and pepper to taste
(garlic lovers: add crushed garlic)

Begin by sauteing stew beef in really large pot (like a dutch oven or small stock pot) in some olive oil. Stir occasionally. While that's cooking, prep the veggies, starting with the onions.

When you're done dicing the onion, throw it in the pot with the beef.

When the beef is cooked, but not especially tender, add the beef broth, carrots, celery, tomatoes, barley, salt and other seasonings. Add enough water to make it sufficiently "soupy."

Simmer approx. 30 minutes. Add green beans. Simmer another 5-10 minutes until beans are done. Serve with salad and good whole wheat bread.

If you want to make a huge batch, it freezes well. And like most recipes of this sort, it's actually better the next day. ;)

Vegetarian version: Add cooked beans instead of beef. Add lima beans if you've got 'em. It's worth it for the color alone.

NOTE: I use Pacific brand beef broth. It comes in a cardboard box and around here is found in the "health food" section. Unlike the canned broths, it doesn't have MSG, and boy does it taste better than any of the canned stuff anyway. But if you're in dire straits, you can use a few beef bouillon cubes and water instead.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sounds marvelous, though personally I would use more barley (a lot more --I like barley). ;)

...and dill. I put dill in everything.

MIAklowd

Hey just joining, glad to be in! I'm glad to be here as a final point, going to publish considering that I've been reading a long time.

Sooo anyways, adequate info about me, see you about and hello once again haha.

BTW where is the option to make myself have a cool title like some people here have?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hey just joining, glad to be in! I'm glad to be here as a final point, going to publish considering that I've been reading a long time.

Sooo anyways, adequate info about me, see you about and hello once again haha.

BTW where is the option to make myself have a cool title like some people here have?

Welcome to RF! :) Although an odd section to post your introduction in. ;)