• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing/Disbelieving in God(s) and Enlightenment

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
is disbelieving/believing in god(s) separate from self necessary for enlightenment in self or other as self?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
is disbelieving/believing in god(s) separate from self necessary for enlightenment in self or other as self?

Disbelieving/believing in god(s) is not necessary.
The only thing necessary for enlightenment is believing that you know something that you didn't know before.

Bird123

Look around you. The answer is clear.

Everyone moves forward regardless of any beliefs one might have or not. In the end, in comes down to Discovering what actually is. With the diversity of acquirable and Discoverable knowledge, everyone will step forward in some way or other.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Depends what you mean by "enlightenment." As someone who enjoys philosophy, my own view is that enlightenment must entail the adoption of truth as both master and goal to be accepted over dogma when dogma is clearly wrong.

This, of course, puts one at odds with the vast majority of humankind, for whom the philosopher seems like a "spiritual saboteur."

He is not, of course. Spirit doesn't need gods. It only needs to be open to truth.

Ella S.

"Enlightenment" is really the dharmic equivalent of "salvation" in Christianity, and both are even directly seen as a form of spiritual liberation.

So some Hindus might believe that belief in a god is necessary for enlightenment, but Buddhists mostly don't.

I don't believe in enlightenment, because I don't believe in reincarnation