• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benefits of chanting

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste

For reading up, i suggest the first two chapters of John Woodroffe's "The Garland of Letters" maybe published under his pen name "Arthur Avalon." I can send you a copy if you'd like.

John Woodroffe was one of the first early indologist-practitioners, and was knighted for his service to indology (I think mostly to shut him up as he was a British judge in India gone rogue - he wore the dress of, and was initiated as, a sanyassin). He is a true guru in the ink, and so perhaps rather than calling him as Sir John Woodroffe, I should call him as Sri John Woodroffe :p. Anything he writes is gold, really.

I've seen his name popping up here and there. It must be an omen. I saw the title up above and am ready to look it up. Sure, you can send it, thanks. I see the book is available, and I get a discount. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It would seem that the disciple would be doing him/herself a disservice by not letting the satguru "in", because of the pride. I'd think that you would want to open yourself to your guru. But, this is literally foreign to me. :shrug:

Oh, I agree with you, but I'm just stating what I've observed. Not much different than hiding the cigarettes or liquor from Mommy, when she can smell it anyway. :) But human nature is human nature. that's the same everywhere. Try getting some hard nosed bloke to go to sensitivity lessons.

Sometimes its just not wanting to hear the truth.

in_lakech

I Am Another You :)
I have chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and Om Shanti. During both chants, I came close to tears. I am still trying to understand what is happening within me when I feel like crying during chants.