• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best feminist films and games

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ooh, Hurt Locker was one of the best war films I've ever seen. Didn't know that was directed by a woman.
It's hard to tell the gender of the director by the movie.

There may be older ones that I'm not aware of, but out of all recent super hero movies according to the article, the only one directed by a woman was Punisher: War Zone.

^_^

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The percentage of female directors of large movies has not increased since the 1990's, despite the fact that in terms of small films, women are very well represented and successful. Only one female director has ever won an academy award for directing (Kathryn Bigelow, for Hurt Locker, a gritty movie about the Iraq War). Women are statistically very under-represented behind the scenes in creating movies, from writing to producing and especially to directing.
I also didn't know Hurt Locker was directed by a woman. Probably still won't ever get around to watching it though as I really don't get into war movies. But since you mentioned awards, they are so heavily political that I don't see how anyone can give them any credibility. The entire sci-fi genre as a whole tends to never score very well in the awards, even though some sci-fi flics such as Avatar generate high sales and legions of fans. Hollywood in general is in dire need of reforming. Even smart and intelligent heroes have fallen out of place for dumbed down heroes who are all action and little brains. Which that itself is nothing more than a very sad reflection of society, that still largely sees gender as black-and-white, has become used to shallow and easy-to-digest stories, concepts, and ideas, and really doesn't care as long as they have theirs.
The same can also be seen games, where difficulty as plummeted, a deep and meaningful plot is as rare as abundant water in the desert, and women went from the fully dressed Princess Toadstool, Princess Zelda, and Samus Aron, to scantily clad fantasies. They claim video game designers are more aware that women too play video games, but most things mainstream doesn't really reflect that idea. Whether it be the stiletto wearing Demon Hunter in D3, or that in the last Underworld movie Celene bothered to take the time to put her corset on while in captivity, or all the women with perfectly done makeup in the post-apocalyptic world of the Resident Evil movies, I can't help but wonder how stupid directors think we are.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Kathryn Bigelow is an amazing director. Not only did she direct The Hurt Locker (which is stellar), but Zero Dark Thirty, which my brother has been nagging me endlessly to watch because he loved it so much.

And he's a filmmaker. :)

I agree that female directors are seriously underrepresented in the industry.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's an article with a lot of facts on women directors involved with the Sundance Film Festival (indie movies).
Study on Women Directors

-Out of over 11,000 directors, writers, producers, editors, cinematographers, that were involved with making movies shown at the festival in the last 10 years, slightly under 30% were women.

-Films directed by a woman have an average of 21% more female movie makers involved with them than movies directed by a man. Women are also more likely to make documentaries than narratives.

-Slightly under 24% of movies in the film festival in the last 10 years were women, compared to only 4.4% of the top 100 box office grossing movies (as in, generally not indie) each year over the same period. In major hollywood productions, there is about a 15:1 ratio of male and female directors. So, as the budgets get larger, as it takes more networking to get in, the participation from women decreases substantially, in what was labeled by one as "a steep fiscal cliff" for women directors. Women directors are there, especially for indie films, but once we're talking about movies with major budgets, hierarchies in companies, and that sort of thing, it's almost all men.

-There hasn't been any statistical improvement for women in the last 10 years, according to the study. The ratios today are largely the same as they were a decade ago.

The study polled a lot of the women involved with film-making and asked them about what the challenges are in getting bigger roles, and the article includes their answers.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
In games, the one that nobody really brings up is the cult-hit Beyond Good and Evil (which I admittedly haven't played, yet.)

Samus Aran, obviously (OTHER M NEVER HAPPENED AND DOESN'T COUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The classic Phantasy Star games also come to mind.

Unfortunately, there aren't many games that really fit at this time.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
The Mass Effect games also come to mind, but are just shy of disqualification because of a few things:

Miranda's outfit, and the camera's creepy crush on her
For the first two games, only a heterosexual or lesbian relationship was possible (the third game allowed for a gay male relationship finally.)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Totally forgot about juno and all the miyazaki films. Awesome post. I'll have to check out the airbender sequel. I really liked that series.
IMO, Legend of Korra was better than the original series.

Due to the success of the first series, the creators had nearly unlimited control to develop it and a sizable budget, so the animation quality is way better. I believe they also took the "Harry Potter" approach, where sequels become more mature so that they can continue to capture the interest of the same original aging audience. Korra is five years older than Aang in the show, and so are the supporting characters. The original show had a fairly black-and-white story of good and evil, but this one has more complex themes about terrorism and fascism in response to terrorism. There's an ending that... I'll just say I don't know how the heck they managed to convince Nickelodeon executives to allow it to air on the network. The ending has an aspect to it that goes a lot farther than Nickelodeon would typically allow, but because Avatar is their biggest franchise they stretched their limits and let them tell the story the creators wanted to.

Intro scene:

Korra kicking butt:
Korra_waterbends.png

Cool villain:
Amon_and_his_Equalists.png

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In games, the one that nobody really brings up is the cult-hit Beyond Good and Evil (which I admittedly haven't played, yet.)

Samus Aran, obviously (OTHER M NEVER HAPPENED AND DOESN'T COUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The classic Phantasy Star games also come to mind.

Unfortunately, there aren't many games that really fit at this time.

The Mass Effect games also come to mind, but are just shy of disqualification because of a few things:

Miranda's outfit, and the camera's creepy crush on her
For the first two games, only a heterosexual or lesbian relationship was possible (the third game allowed for a gay male relationship finally.)
Another game I thought of is Final Fantasy 6.

It's not centered around any one character, but Terra is basically the main character, which was the first female lead for a final fantasy series. It's one of the more serious entries compared to some of the others.

jbfiuCCwnTJr8Z.jpg

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Seriously? Miranda's outfit disqualifies her? She is an amazingly strong (and deep) character.

I said that her outfit almost disqualifies the Mass Effect games; it doesn't disqualify her personally.

It's not just her outfit, it's the fact that whenever she's around, the camera is constantly giving us the best view it can of her rear. :facepalm: That bugs me because it takes me out of her fantastic personal story.