• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Hebrew English translation of the Tanakh?

arcanum

Hi I'm hoping to get some input on a good Hebrew English translation of the Tanakh, I've only been exposed to Christian translations and I'm hoping to find and read a more pure and more authentic voice. Thanks in advance.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Hi I'm hoping to get some input on a good Hebrew English translation of the Tanakh, I've only been exposed to Christian translations and I'm hoping to find and read a more pure and more authentic voice. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you're looking for.

The Jewish Study Bible is a good choice if you're going for an academic POV, and Fox's Five Book of Moses keeps the poetry and wordplay of the Hebrew.

roger1440

I do stuff
I use the Jewish Study Bible in the PDF format. I had found it using a file sharing program called FrostWire. Over the years I have downloaded dozens upon dozens of books from the internet. Best of all, they were FREE. It is much easier to quote from a book in a PDF format then a printed version of the same book. Sometimes I find books just by searching Google. Example: “Gone With The Wind PDF”.
513Y906NHWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Jewish Study Bible: Featuring The Jewish Publication Society TANAKH Translation: Adele Berlin, Marc Zvi Brettler, Michael Fishbane: 9780195297515: Amazon.com: Books

arcanum

Depends on what you're looking for.

The Jewish Study Bible is a good choice if you're going for an academic POV, and Fox's Five Book of Moses keeps the poetry and wordplay of the Hebrew.
I guess I'm hoping to find a translation that isn't purely dry and academic and that encompasses the whole Tanakh and not just the Torah. As someone who has only been exposed to King James and similar clone versions of the OT, I'd like to read it through more of a Jewish/Hebrew lens than a Christian one.

arcanum

I use the Jewish Study Bible in the PDF format. I had found it using a file sharing program called FrostWire. Over the years I have downloaded dozens upon dozens of books from the internet. Best of all, they were FREE. It is much easier to quote from a book in a PDF format then a printed version of the same book. Sometimes I find books just by searching Google. Example: “Gone With The Wind PDF”.
513Y906NHWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Jewish Study Bible: Featuring The Jewish Publication Society TANAKH Translation: Adele Berlin, Marc Zvi Brettler, Michael Fishbane: 9780195297515: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks, I'll definitely check that out.

roger1440

I do stuff
Just curious, what Christian Bible do you use?

arcanum

Just curious, what Christian Bible do you use?
I've been reading from the Pe****a which is what the Christians in Syria read from and is supposed to have been translated from the Aramaic. But prior to that mostly the King James version, though I've also read from the Septuagint and the Jerusalem bible.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Plus one for The Jewish Study Bible, though it's not without its flaws. Still probably the best whole Tanach translation out there. But Fox's Five Books of Moses is really worth getting: no other translation really matches it for coming close to capturing in English the experience of reading it in Hebrew.

HexBomb

I like my Jewish Study Bible. One of the best presents I ever got. It really helped with parallel readings, and trying to learn Hebrew. (And no, I've sill not learned enough to be confident about anything except I need to learn more.)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I like my Jewish Study Bible. One of the best presents I ever got. It really helped with parallel readings, and trying to learn Hebrew.
Really?

To the best of my knowledge the JSB contains the same JPS translation as found in Etz Hayim, Plaut, etc., and does not contain Hebrew text.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Really?

To the best of my knowledge the JSB contains the same JPS translation as found in Etz Hayim, Plaut, etc., and does not contain Hebrew text.

To be fair, I believe both the Etz Hayim and the Plaut have (different) modified and adapted versions of the JPS translation. But yeah, I was surprised to read the above also, as I have not encountered a JSB edition with side-by-side, which would be very nice.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
To be fair, I believe both the Etz Hayim and the Plaut have (different) modified and adapted versions of the JPS translation. But yeah, I was surprised to read the above also, as I have not encountered a JSB edition with side-by-side, which would be very nice.
I should have noted …
From the Etz Hayim Introduction (pg. xviii):
… as the reader may know, the Hebrew text's k'tiv (written tradition) and k'rei (reading tradition) differ from each other for occasional words; where this occurs, our edition first prints that word's k'tiv letters in small type, followed by the pointed k'rei letters in normal type.

The English rendering, meanwhile, is that of the most recent JPS translation, as corrected in the 2000 edition of its Hebrew-English Tanakh, based on a thorough 1967 revision. This Bible text is the p'shat, the contextual meaning of the text. It is illuminated by the finest contemporary scientific scholarship on the Torah,
From Plaut (pg. xxv):
The translation of the Torah used is the New Jewish Version, published by the Jewish Publication Society (revised printing, 1967) with kind permission of the publishers. This translation, in addition to its scholarly and linguistic merits, has been made particularly valuable by the publication of the translators' Notes on the New Translation of the Torah (1969, referred to as JPS Notes) which explain in detail why certain translations were chosen and others rejected.
What HexBomb might have meant by …
"It really helped with parallel readings, and trying to learn Hebrew."​
is still unclear to me.

Levite

Higher and Higher
I should have noted …
From the Etz Hayim Introduction (pg. xviii):
From Plaut (pg. xxv):
OK, I guess I was wrong. I could swear I saw differences, but of course I can't bring them to mind, so I will just assume my mind was playing tricks on me.