• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible-believers: What are your thoughts on this passage?

I hear what you are saying but they were still "little children." How responsible are little children for themselves that they should be put to death for mocking a prophet?
Well,God is the creator of the universe, and the Almighty.What He see's fit is what goes.We are nobody to question His universal Sovereignty.What He deems as just is just.He is the all wise and all knowing.We cannot understand godly wisdom trying to use human wisdom.Remember too,God did not kill them with fire.He did not declare eternal judicial judgment upon them.These children were killed by bears and they will more than likely be resurrected later.

TheGunShoj

Well,God is the creator of the universe, and the Almighty.What He see's fit is what goes.We are nobody to question His universal Sovereignty.What He deems as just is just.He is the all wise and all knowing.We cannot understand godly wisdom trying to use human wisdom.Remember too,God did not kill them with fire.He did not declare eternal judicial judgment upon them.These children were killed by bears and they will more than likely be resurrected later.

"Might makes right" pretty sick stuff.

"Might makes right" pretty sick stuff.
Might has nothing to do with it.Its like if you are a father and your kid does not listen,so theres consequences.Well God is the Most high, and the Holy of the Holy.So,if you disrespect a prophet appointed by God,its like you are disrespecting God Himself.It is more a matter of respect.Not that its because God is Mighty.

TheGunShoj

Might has nothing to do with it.Its like if you are a father and your kid does not listen,so theres consequences.Well God is the Most high, and the Holy of the Holy.So,if you disrespect a prophet appointed by God,its like you are disrespecting God Himself.It is more a matter of respect.Not that its because God is Mighty.

Right. So if a kid disrespects his father, he should be ripped apart by bears? You are arguing might makes right. You are saying God is the ultimate authority so whatever he says goes, no matter how disgusting or cruel.

Let me ask you a question. Does God determine what is moral and what is not or are morals objective and therefor God is just makes us aware of them?

Well if I had a religion, it would be one in which I am permitted to think.

These were "little children" who died at the hands of wild animals for mocking the prophet...sounds silly to me.

CMike

These were "little children" who died at the hands of wild animals for mocking the prophet...sounds silly to me.
That's because you are misinterpreting it.

Right. So if a kid disrespects his father, he should be ripped apart by bears? You are arguing might makes right. You are saying God is the ultimate authority so whatever he says goes, no matter how disgusting or cruel.

Let me ask you a question. Does God determine what is moral and what is not or are morals objective and therefor God is just makes us aware of them?
well I can see that you are set in your ways and any further discussion on any matters concerning God would just be a waste of both of our time.I will stop here and carry on.You are an atheist and I am a follower of God.Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that.Have a great day:)

I'm sorry you feel that way.Well not everyone will come to understand Gods Word.If you have any other questions just holla.I will try to help you as much as I can if you really want to know.

TheGunShoj

well I can see that you are set in your ways and any further discussion on any matters concerning God would just be a waste of both of our time.I will stop here and carry on.You are an atheist and I am a follower of God.Lets agree to disagree and leave it at that.Have a great day:)

Why? I'm asking you a question to try and further discussion, I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Is the question too hard? Do you foresee where it leads? All I did was point out the argument you were making which is textbook might makes right. Not sure why that's a problem or an indication that I'm "set in my ways"

Why? I'm asking you a question to try and further discussion, I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Is the question too hard? Do you foresee where it leads? All I did was point out the argument you were making which is textbook might makes right. Not sure why that's a problem or an indication that I'm "set in my ways"
Oh theres no problem, and nothing is too hard.Im just familiar with you and I have seen your comments before.I know how you see things already.Thats cool.I respect your view and beliefs.I just choose not to partake in a conversation that will go nowhere and has no end in sight.It seems logical just to not say anything and save both of us some time.I hope you understand.

Well I don't say that...I do say that I trust the scholarship of those who translated the KJV and NIV Bibles.
Did you know that the KJV bible had Gods true name removed from it over 7,000 times from the OT? They forgot to remove it 4 times though.

King James Bible Exodus 6:3
And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

King James Bible Psalm 83:18
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

King James Bible Isaiah 26:4
Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

King James Bible Isaiah 12:2
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Lol I meant people who religiously believe in the Bible.
What does that mean: "religiously believe in the bible?" Believe what about the bible? Believe the bible can do what?

Am I a "bible believer" if I assert that the bible is not inerrant, that God did not write it, and that it is multivalent? I believe it exists. I believe it is an (expurgated) collection of the various written Tradition of people who ascribe to God. I believe it is available in many languages and forms. I believe it is not the "absolute truth."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I hear what you are saying but they were still "little children." How responsible are little children for themselves that they should be put to death for mocking a prophet?
it's a metaphor, for Pete's sake! Don't get your panties in a wad. You mentioned in your post above that you're interested in what the text says. However, "what the text says" is heavily influenced by cultural and literary understanding. The text says something metaphorical, and you have to understand what that is before making hasty judgments upon the text for the pictures it uses to explain its point.